What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So my window sticker said the 2021 Select had a 10.5kW onboard charger but your data for your 2021 Premium suggest it might have something a bit higher than 10.5kW. That's useful to know, still makes me curious, I predict all MMEs have the same onboard charger in them. Most folx seem to not know what the actual onboard charger specs are but point toward the Ford provided EVSE as definitive proof the onboard must be able to use 100% of the 48amps of the EVSE. I'm not sure that is guaranteed, right?
But I think the difference between 10.5 and 11.5 is explained by the losses in the charger. The EVSE sends 11.5 to the internal charger. It loses about 10% in converting it to DC for charging, which results in 10.5 (ish). I think the 10.5 on the window sticker is the charger output (whereas 11.5 is the charger input and EVSE output).
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
But I think the difference between 10.5 and 11.5 is explained by the losses in the charger. The EVSE sends 11.5 to the internal charger. It loses about 10% in converting it to DC for charging, which results in 10.5 (ish). I think the 10.5 on the window sticker is the charger output (whereas 11.5 is the charger input and EVSE output).
That’s my understanding as well and what I was attempting to convey in post 44.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
That’s my understanding as well and what I was attempting to convey in post 44.
Roger that. I gathered the suggestion that the 10.5kW rating advertised on the sticker may refer to output. No worries. I just am curious as to what the specific specs are for the onboard charger.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Red Premium Mach E4
Country flag
Asking @Ford Motor Company for help here.

I have been having this same charing issue both with a 40Amp GRIZZL-E Charger and at some Level 2 public stations for the past 8 months or so. I have been to my dealer with this problem 4 or 5 times and all the says they can do is clear the codes so I can charge again. is there anyway to get some help here so the car is fully functional and useable again. right now I don't trust it to travel anywhere as I don't know if it will charge or not when I need it to.

It will charge under 30Amps, but anything over 30Amps and it fails. Then once it fails I can't charge at any level 2 charger public or private until the codes are reset per the dealer.

FYI, I have 2 40Amp chargers on 2 different circuits and they both charge my other car (NOT a FORD) just fine with no issues.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

I have been having this same charing issue both with a 40Amp GRIZZL-E Charger and at some Level 2 public stations for the past 8 months or so. I have been to my dealer with this problem 4 or 5 times and all the says they can do is clear the codes so I can charge again. is there anyway to get some help here so the car is fully functional and useable again. right now I don't trust it to travel anywhere as I don't know if it will charge or not when I need it to.

It will charge under 30Amps, but anything over 30Amps and it fails. Then once it fails I can't charge at any level 2 charger public or private until the codes are reset per the dealer.

FYI, I have 2 40Amp chargers on 2 different circuits and they both charge my other car (NOT a FORD) just fine with no issues.
If you get an OBDII scanner you can clear the codes yourself. While that doesn't fix your problem, you won't be stranded when you need a charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

The codes should give clues about the root cause. Did they tell you what they are? If I had to make wild guess, I’d suspect your charge port is overheating at the higher charge levels and needs replacement.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Red Premium Mach E4
Country flag
The codes should give clues about the root cause. Did they tell you what they are? If I had to make wild guess, I’d suspect your charge port is overheating at the higher charge levels and needs replacement.
I tried to charge the car today for the first time since I got it back from the dealer yesterday. Charged for 1 hour then failed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error Screenshot_20221217-094432_FordPass

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error Screenshot_20221217-103412_FordPass

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error Screenshot_20221217-104325_FordPass

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error Screenshot_20221217-104453_FordPass

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Yea the codes should tell you, my guess is overheating as well. This is what mine does, and the dealer said only fix was to replace the charge port for like $1300. I just lowered the amps on my charger at home to get by since they refused to cover it under warranty and I don’t L2 charge anywhere but home usually.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yea the codes should tell you, my guess is overheating as well. This is what mine does, and the dealer said only fix was to replace the charge port for like $1300. I just lowered the amps on my charger at home to get by since they refused to cover it under warranty and I don’t L2 charge anywhere but home usually.
how could this NOT be a warranty replacement of ?something?

I'd ask your Dealership nicely to schedule a diagnostic FDRS to extract error codes and give you a copy of the report, and ask then to start paperwork on warranty replacement of whatever is needed to repair. I would think they would WANT to get paid for warranty service work, assuming they have a certified EV tech.

Resetting and clearing codes is NOT a fix. You might also message @Ford Motor Company directly on this forum to get them involved with having a BEV team member contact your Dealership on your behalf to assist.

If they refuse to Service, give a terrible review.... which gets the attention of the GM and Ford Corporate.

Wally

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Red Premium Mach E4
Country flag
how could this NOT be a warranty replacement of ?something?

I'd ask your Dealership nicely to schedule a diagnostic FDRS to extract error codes and give you a copy of the report, and ask then to start paperwork on warranty replacement of whatever is needed to repair. I would think they would WANT to get paid for warranty service work, assuming they have a certified EV tech.

Resetting and clearing codes is NOT a fix. You might also message @Ford Motor Company directly on this forum to get them involved with having a BEV team member contact your Dealership on your behalf to assist.

If they refuse to Service, give a terrible review.... which gets the attention of the GM and Ford Corporate.
Thanks for the advise. At this point it's the holiday's I am going to take up this problem up again in Jan.
Sponsored