sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You're missing the point, and I also think you might have missed my last two paragraphs. I'll summarize again:

It's not that fossil fuels are more expensive than EVs. It's that a sustainable future requires us to switch to EVs sooner than the free market would otherwise have made the decision for us.

The benefit of subsidizing a faster switch to EVs is to avoid massive costs down the road as a result of worsening public health costs, environmental destruction, and rising food costs.

Subsidies for EVs are the way to speed up the transition that will benefit all of us in the end. There are enormous financial consequences down the road that we will face beyond the meager rate of EV subsidies if we don't make the transition.

$7.9 trillion by 2050 on our current path, is the estimated cost of climate change right now, if we don't act more, according to an article on phys.org.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My good sir dudeson,

That's not how it works. The free market is largely blind to long-term consequences of its short term profit seeking behavior.
Government regulation and incentive happens when the free market fails to do what's ultimately in its, and the people who make it up's, best interest; in this case, best long-term interest.

And that interest is determined by studying the science and economics behind factors like the consequences of climate change.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Probably because only recently has it been thrust into the mainstream as a feasible and reliable means of transportation. We have Tesla to thank for that.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That's fair. EVs definitely are more expensive right now. That's the case with any new tech.
Subsidies are here to save the day for the average consumer while they're still out of reach.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
As I mentioned - they are better, but only in the long term. The natural transition would be too slow and would take decades. EVs are not a sound financial decision without incentives in 2021. Hence the existence of subsidies to get them on the street sooner.

The technology itself will naturally become affordable over time just as the gasoline car once did when it was new.

Battery prices have already fallen 89% since 2010 on a price per kWh basis.

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Just like post #30 and all the ones it invited. ?

The first 29 were productive though. ?
I think the original post many pages ago said the reason they started this thread is bc the original one went off on a tangent. Well, 30 posts to discuss the topic before it goes belly up, I mean could be worst!
Sponsored