Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
For a long time I used Google Maps through Android Auto until the latest Ford Navigation update, when I decided to give it a try. I will use Ford Navigation for longer trips because it gives me more accurate range calculations. Some pros and cons....when using the range calculated by my car, not Ford Navigation, my range decreases at a rate faster than the miles driven, sometimes significantly, and in cold weather it is even worse, which makes it challenging to plan DCFC stops. However, Google Maps provides pretty accurate information about arrival time, traffic incidents, construction, slow downs, faster route alternatives, etc.
Ford Navigation range calculation is just the opposite and I actually gain range over the miles I have driven. For example, the other day I drove from Toledo, OH (business location) to Beavercreek, OH (home), about 168 miles. When I departed Toledo at 100% charge I had about 55 miles more range than the distance I need to travel. But when I returned home, I had gained 31 miles of range and had 86 miles of range when I pulled into my driveway. The thing that surprises/concerns me is that after a charge to 100% my car told me I had 279 miles of range but as soon as I turned on Ford Navigation told me my range was 223 miles...an instantaneous drop of 56 miles of range. What is causing that drop or difference, and why?
I found Ford Navigation to be fairly accurate with delay information, alternate routes, arrival time, etc. The one thing I don't like is that I cannot (or at least have not figured out how to) adjust the map scale. It defaults to like .2 of a mile which does not allow you to see farther down the road.
Never the less, I prefer to have a range estimate that potentially gives me more range than having to guess if I need to plan for an intermediate charging stop. For longer trips I will use Ford Navigation (and Google Maps on my phone as a backup).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The thing that surprises/concerns me is that after a charge to 100% my car told me I had 279 miles of range but as soon as I turned on Ford Navigation told me my range was 223 miles...an instantaneous drop of 56 miles of range. What is causing that drop or difference, and why?
Because when you activated a route in nav, you gave the car more information about how and where you were going to be driving.

Range is nothing more than an estimate based on how it expects you to drive. Mileage varies greatly based on speed, elevation change, climate, etc. That's magnified even more in an EV vs a gas car. If you're driving 30 MPH thru stop and go traffic, your actual range will be much longer than doing 75 MPH on the highway. Without a nav route set, it can only assume a drive of something similar to your semi-recent driving history. But when you told it it would be a long highway drive instead, that calculated a lower range due to worse mileage at high speed.

Again, the Range displayed on the dash is only an estimate (often called the GOM for Guess-O-Meter). It's not your real range. Just like a gas car, there's no way to know how far you'll actually be able to go on a tank. Only a rough estimate.

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
Because when you activated a route in nav, you gave the car more information about how and where you were going to be driving.

Range is nothing more than an estimate based on how it expects you to drive. Mileage varies greatly based on speed, elevation change, climate, etc. That's magnified even more in an EV vs a gas car. If you're driving 30 MPH thru stop and go traffic, your actual range will be much longer than doing 75 MPH on the highway. Without a nav route set, it can only assume a drive of something similar to your semi-recent driving history. But when you told it it would be a long highway drive instead, that calculated a lower range due to worse mileage at high speed.

Again, the Range displayed on the dash is only an estimate (often called the GOM for Guess-O-Meter). It's not your real range. Just like a gas car, there's no way to know how far you'll actually be able to go on a tank. Only a rough estimate.
Understood...thanks

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
I mostly use Google Maps on car play. Often this is because I am looking up a place before I get in the car. Also trust it more for more complex areas. However I do like the built in nav. It’s the best I’ve used or seen in a car and I do try to use it a lot. Often I use google to get to a new place and built in to get home.

For the few trips I’ve needed a public charger I have used PlugShare to spec out the best location before the trip. When Apple first stopped using google maps and their new maps was terrible I just switched to google. Now that it seems a lot better and has the Mach e integration I have started trying it a bit more. Also turn on Waze sometimes for the police warnings.

archernar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E SR RWD 2022, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here in the UK ... Apple Maps all the way, except when it occasionally loses location lock, and Waze becomes useful. If I was using DCFC more often I'd think about Ford Nav for the precondtioning, but at usual UK temperatures I doubt it would make that much difference?
Sponsored