Which maps do you use?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Android auto + google maps. If I'm driving somewhere out of the way (let's say over 1-1.5 hrs away), I'll manually look up dcfc locations on plugshare, and then save/favorite them in google maps before the trip so I can navigate to those chargers
Sponsored

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Traverse, 2022 Mustang Mach-e Premium
Country flag
If Iā€™m right, the CarPlay Apps require 4 or 5 G phone towers to work. Although there are lots of them around, sometimes there arenā€™t any and the signal is lost. Then, it seems the onboard app is the only thing working.

Because 95% of my driving is in town, I like the Apple App.
I tried the new iOS 17 beta maps download feature and it hasn't locked up yet that I've noticed. Although if you use downloaded offline maps it won't tell you EV information like where to stop to charge and percentage charge at destination.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Apple Maps because it shows the SoC at the destination, integrates with the dashboard, and buzzes my Apple Watch when I need to turn. Almost the same full integration with the BMW i4 I owned previously.

Weirdly enough, I use Google Maps outside of driving as it better informed about how busy a location is and also real-time traffic conditions.

In-car nav is okay.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does your instrument panel show you distance to destination when you use Apple Maps? Mine used to, but then stopped after an OTA. Itā€™s annoying because the big screen also doesnā€™t show remaining distance.
No, just arrival time. It does show on my phone. It is slightly annoying.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
On-board navigation, unless I want to look something up on my phone that the Nave can't find, then it's Google Maps.

e-pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Star White
Country flag
I really want to use ford navigation to get the range estimate revision and dcfc preconditioning, but it's just terrible! Makes me want to use Android auto instead :(
WAZE for its crowdsourced locations of road obstacles but mainly Police!! Saved me several times!! However I sometimes initialky use my phone to check and select route to a new location based on google maps, then WAZE in route.

orangethunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order
Country flag
1.Apple Maps via Carplay
2. Google Maps via CarPlay when #1 being dubious or when poor reception (I have tons off locations with offline maps in Google Maps)
3. Built-in car navigation, a total of twice now, when GPS reception was marginal. I donā€™t like their interface but itā€™s fine and serviceable.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1.Apple Maps via Carplay
2. Google Maps via CarPlay when #1 being dubious or when poor reception (I have tons off locations with offline maps in Google Maps)
3. Built-in car navigation, a total of twice now, when GPS reception was marginal. I donā€™t like their interface but itā€™s fine and serviceable.
You can download iOS 17 beta which allows you to download locations for Apple Maps to view offline like you do with Google Maps? I have quite a few locations downloaded especially areas in Europe that I travel to a lot. I don't have to rely on cell service that can be very poor at times and it dramatically saves on battery power.

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At least for me it isnā€™t a feature of Apple Maps yet. Though I read it is part of iOS 17 that is due out soon.

glad it works well for you. Likely use it myself once available for me.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...line-and-ev-charging-port-features-in-ios-17/
I should have stated that you need iOS 17 beta to have this feature. I changed my previous post and added that. I know several friends that work at Apple and have had this since April. Was also in Europe in April so was able to try out downloaded maps there which worked very well.

Say Watt

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE (Bought back), 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Country flag
Google or Apple through CarPlay and built-in nav on occasion. But if Iā€™m traveling up the North Coast in California, Garmin is the main choice when cell coverage gets spotty and Ford Nav goes night-night.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Which maps do you use? IMG_1941garmin

Before you ask, the mount is from ProClip (can go on either side of the screen) and the ball base is from Amazon - but you need the large one for the Garmin.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Which maps do you use? IMG_1943procli

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Android Auto for everything. I'm just a Google Maps person across the board.

We like the look of AA in satellite view in the MME too. Feels almost like having a personal drone flying over the car. šŸ˜

Shkval2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium RWD
Country flag
My Tesla nav was notorious for doing that. I also see that behavior out of Google maps occasionally.

Mach-e-3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium SR Grabber Blue, FitCamX, TuxMat
Occupation
Healthcare
Country flag
When using Google Maps on Apple CarPlay it does NOT give me the next turn navigation instructions on the small screen by the steering wheel. Is this the same for everyone? Apple Maps DOES give me this information in the small screen by my steering wheel so I have been trying to use that more (just got car a few weeks ago and before that just used Google Maps on my phone). The Ford built-in nav does not even recognize the street my home is on as an actual street šŸ™„šŸ§ā€¦ so that doesnā€™t inspire much confidence in the built-in nav for me haha.
Sponsored