Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My wife made the same comment when using Apple Maps and finally pointed it out to me. The “low battery” notification was actually a low phone battery, not car. Pops up at 20% and 10% phone charge. Might not be what you’re seeing, but just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. That’s definitely not it. I keep my phone fairly well charged because I hate the red battery icon 😀
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apple Maps via CarPlay. It shows expected SOC for my destination. Haven’t done a long enough trip yet to need enroute charging.
I used it today, had me stop at a charger that I didn’t want to use. As I drove by and kept driving Apple Maps kept trying to re route me back to that original charger for about 15 minutes. I could not figure out how to get rid of that charger other than deleting my entire trip.

I changed to Ford Nav and set to the charger I wanted and all worked out.

generally I like Apple Map and like the integration but not today.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Never seen that sort of data, is it in Trips in FordPass app? Any reason I don’t see this? Do I have to have something turned on?

Inside my head looks like that with all the graphs etc when I get home after a 450 mile day out with a couple of public charges interspersed 😵💫
No, just something I created to pull data from a scan tool while driving. The top graphs are the preconditioning from a trip and the bottom set are from a DCFC charge.

I missed having TeslaFi when I drove a Model 3, doubt you will see Ford providing it so don't beat yourself up looking for it in FordPass.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
When I'm driving, I use Android Auto with Google Maps and the built-in Nav.
When my partner is driving, she uses Car Play with Google Maps and sometimes the built-in Nav. My partner's Apple Maps invariably has incorrect coordinates and often has a badly calibrated compass.

I prefer Google Maps for directions.

I prefer the built-in nav for range estimation and battery preconditioning for DCFC.

If you zoom out of the built-in nav map, you get to see a range border based on your current and historical driving and the state of charge of the battery. I like to punch in the search for fast chargers while driving and look at which ones are near the edge of the range estimate.

I don't like the built-in nav for directions, though. This is an example that happens to me on every trip. The Ford navigation tells me to exit the highway only to immediately get back on. If I'm not familiar with the road and not paying attention to the map, I have been fooled by this bug.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Which maps do you use? PXL_20230607_170104289.MP~2

Holy Driver

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I do not believe the DCFC preconditioning
I do not believe that the car is doing any DCFC preconditioning :D

I am using Apple Maps.
For fun I tried both.
On a long trip I used Apple Maps and charged on (or at? :D) a DC charger.
Charging speed was as excepted.

On the second stop I used Ford navigation and the charging speed was the same.

So I am good with apple maps.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
How do you know you don't like it if you've never used it?
Because the displayed maps are the same as that were in my previous Kuga (Escape to you) and when I am parked at home the GPS/Ford Pass app tell me I am parked 150M from where I am actually parked. AA has better maps (satellite display) and is more accurate, tells me of road holdups without needing a rip off subscription.

minjaep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 eAWD
Country flag
In Boston, I was a fan of Waze. However, after moving to Chicago, I found surprisingly Apple Maps is superior to Waze or Google Maps. The UI is much better, fonts are more comfortable to read, information about road closures is more accurate, etc.

And in Chicago, information about cops shown in Waze is not helpful at all as they never chase for speeds because there are always much more severe crimes around lol

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
No, just something I created to pull data from a scan tool while driving. The top graphs are the preconditioning from a trip and the bottom set are from a DCFC charge.

I missed having TeslaFi when I drove a Model 3, doubt you will see Ford providing it so don't beat yourself up looking for it in FordPass.
Amazing! Thnx. You just turned on the light 💡

Never even entered my heat to use live data on the diagnostic computer on my own car for this purpose, very many thanks, Jiji👍

I have around $20,000 of your Dollars’ worth of diagnostic & collision data retrieval kit so ought really to have worked it out for my dumb self🙄

Last edited:

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine does this as well. I have missed turns or turned the wrong way due to it. I wonder what is causing it? Sometimes it seems like the map will un-freeze and "wake up" when I wake my phone screen. Whatever it is it needs to be fixed. Map reliability is a must.
If I’m right, the CarPlay Apps require 4 or 5 G phone towers to work. Although there are lots of them around, sometimes there aren’t any and the signal is lost. Then, it seems the onboard app is the only thing working.

Because 95% of my driving is in town, I like the Apple App.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Apple Maps via CarPlay. It shows expected SOC for my destination. Haven’t done a long enough trip yet to need enroute charging.
Does your instrument panel show you distance to destination when you use Apple Maps? Mine used to, but then stopped after an OTA. It’s annoying because the big screen also doesn’t show remaining distance.

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select AWD DMG & '23 Premium RWD ER CG Mach E
Country flag
When I go on road trips that will require me to DCFC, I plug in my OBD II reader and connect my phone to using CarScanner app. I know for a fact that if you have a DCFC charger set as a destination in your trip and you are using built in nav system; the car will begin pre-conditioning the HVB about 20 miles from the charger, if pre-conditioning is needed. How much pre-conditioning occurs will depend on the temperature of the HVB battery. I have a few custom dashboards configured in CarScanner app that displays HVB temperature, coolant temperature, heater KW power being used, and cooling amp usage among other things.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I just took a 1,200 mile trip with just the onboard nav. It worked pretty well, but I did open EA to make sure the chargers I was being routed to were actually the best option.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I do not believe that the car is doing any DCFC preconditioning :D

I am using Apple Maps.
For fun I tried both.
On a long trip I used Apple Maps and charged on (or at? :D) a DC charger.
Charging speed was as excepted.

On the second stop I used Ford navigation and the charging speed was the same.

So I am good with apple maps.
If you have an ODBII dongle and app to display the data, you can watch the battery temperature climb as you approach a DCFC destination in Ford Nav. It will try to close the gap to ~90 deg F by the time you arrive.

If you had a sufficiently warm day outside, the starting temp of the battery may not have been a factor in your charging speed. Its really the most useful in the winter because you cannot charge the battery in freezing temperatures without causing some damage.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In Boston, I was a fan of Waze. However, after moving to Chicago, I found surprisingly Apple Maps is superior to Waze or Google Maps. The UI is much better, fonts are more comfortable to read, information about road closures is more accurate, etc.

And in Chicago, information about cops shown in Waze is not helpful at all as they never chase for speeds because there are always much more severe crimes around lol
This is exactly why we have several different map apps because some work better than others in different areas. When someone is coming to my home for the first time, I tell them to use Apple Maps if they can because Google Maps shows my street as being 2 blocks further than it is and the name on my actual street is wrong. Very confusing to say the least and I believe Google has been notified of this error but it's been like this for the last few years.

GrantK

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Select AWD
Country flag
I’m a long term Google Maps user (via Carplay), but Apple maps is getting better and better.

I have poor phone reception where I live and the ability to download offline maps is important to me.

In iOs 17 (you can install the developer version now) Apple Maps is getting offline maps and is also getting real time charger abailability (I very seldom use public charging).

https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1...al-time-ev-charger-availability-in-apple-maps
Sponsored