First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Understood but it doesnt change the purpose of the neutral. To return current when necessary
This entire discussion is in regards to "when necessary."

When an appliance is built with a 6-50 plug, the neutral is definitely not necessary.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The bottom line is that if the device you want to plug in has a 14-50 on it, you need a 14-50 receptacle properly wired. As others have stated, if you only have three wires, purchase an EVSE that has a 6-50 plug.

As a retired electrical engineer with decent up-to-date knowledge of the NEC, I'll simply say that some of the technical info others have posted in this thread is accurate, but some is pure garbage. Consult a qualified, licensed electrician and avoid any DYI hacks.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
That is not true. The neutral allows the device to draw 120V if needed. It is unknown if the mobile charger needs that, but most EVSE (chargepoint, clippercreek, grizzl-e) do not.
Sorry I completely misunderstood this post. You are right

Last edited:

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sorry I completely misunderstood this post. You are right
No worries, misunderstandings happen. I appreciate and respect the "mea culpa".

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
In a 240v supply, the ideal load will result in zero current on the neutral wire (or ground). Ground wires should not normally carry ANY current, as they are for curcuit protection purposes.

Most stoves are purely resistive loads, and so they would really never require a neutral, since there is no phase shifting or noise to potentially cause an imbalance between the two 240v phases. You don't ever have a situation where there is current on the neutral wire.

Chargers are different. They far more electrically complicated than a stove, and will do all the things above a stove can't do. While ideally they won't return any current on the neutral wire, in practice they likely will. If there is no neutral present, they will use ground for return current. This is not a great situation, especially when Joe Homeowner is touching a ground wire while replacing an electrical outlet somewhere else in the house.

If you are charging with 110v, I would guess you are using a standard 110v outlet and not using the 14-50 240 outlet.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
In a 240v supply, the ideal load will result in zero current on the neutral wire (or ground). Ground wires should not normally carry ANY current, as they are for curcuit protection purposes.

Most stoves are purely resistive loads, and so they would really never require a neutral, since there is no phase shifting or noise to potentially cause an imbalance between the two 240v phases. You don't ever have a situation where there is current on the neutral wire.

Chargers are different. They far more electrically complicated than a stove, and will do all the things above a stove can't do. While ideally they won't return any current on the neutral wire, in practice they likely will. If there is no neutral present, they will use ground for return current. This is not a great situation, especially when Joe Homeowner is touching a ground wire while replacing an electrical outlet somewhere else in the house.

If you are charging with 110v, I would guess you are using a standard 110v outlet and not using the 14-50 240 outlet.
While i agree with everything you say, only the Tesla uses a neutral. None of the other EVSE's use a neutral. Why do you suspect current will be returned? The car is only going to use the current it needs and not more.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My house has 3wire 240v lines going to where I used to have an outlet for my stove. Real easy to use that line for outside receptacle. Does anyone know why Ford requires the neutral wire? Anyone know a Mach e engineer because the service dept at the dealer I'm taking delivery is clueless. Very nice, excited for my pony to arrive but clueless
standard NEMA 14-50 outlet (4-wire) is the way to go. Then you have a standard outlet that can be used for charging, 240v tools and appliances, or even for back-feeding Generator in cases of grid outage (after you 'isolate' the house from the grid so you generator is not trying to power the neighborhood of course).

There are lots of outdoor rated enclosures with covers allowing cord out the bottom if you have to mount the outlet on an outside wall or post. DO get an electrician to do it right, use the correct size wires, and be safe!

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, we traded the Bolt. Only so much room. Another note about Mach E. It charges much faster than the Bolt. We never installed a level 2 charger but "cheated" the Bolt stock charger to 240 volts. It still only charged at 16 amps and full charges were lengthy. The Mach E charger will go up to 32 amps. As I recall it wants a 50 amp circuit (you might be able to get by w/ 40). Install it now. It is a 30amp 4 prong (I do not have a neutral and it works; I installed an 80amp capable (amped down w/ a 50 amp breaker for the Mach E) a long time ago waiting for the day when electrics charge at tidal wave rates). Anyway you'll want an adequate circuit. The car has a big battery. Last night we were down to 20 miles (on purpose). It charged to full in about 12 hours give or take. I would call that fast.
As stated above by Pig Iron, the Ford Mobile Charger works without the neutral wire connected in a 14-50 plug.

OP
OP
JerseyMike

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD extended range
Country flag
An appliance such as a clothes dryer actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire
Most appliances now, such as a stove actually has a mix of 220v and 110v circuits. Although the 220v circuit doesn't need a neutral wire to work, the 110v circuit does need the neutral (white) wire, 110 would be for clock, stove light, etc. In the case of the MME, there could be internal circuitry to the charger that needs 110
this is what I thought . I read somewhere that pre heating the MME while charging doesn't draw from battery so maybe that's one of those required 120v circuits needed. Thanks

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag

You understand Ford supplies a mobile EVSE not a charger?

sjaj14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F250, Mach e (hopefully soon!).
Occupation
IT
Country flag
standard NEMA 14-50 outlet (4-wire) is the way to go. Then you have a standard outlet that can be used for charging, 240v tools and appliances, or even for back-feeding Generator in cases of grid outage (after you 'isolate' the house from the grid so you generator is not trying to power the neighborhood of course).

There are lots of outdoor rated enclosures with covers allowing cord out the bottom if you have to mount the outlet on an outside wall or post. DO get an electrician to do it right, use the correct size wires, and be safe!
Lol, exactly. The only reason I had mentioned is I'm just finishing a detached 42 x 24 foot garage/barn and I ran a couple 14-50 outlets for welder and possible generator.
Sponsored