Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Right, AFAIK the closest Ford gave is that it's below 0.30 for the drag coefficient, and they haven't given an exact number yet. The Model X is 0.25, and the Jaguar I-Pace is 0.29 for comparisons.
The Y lacks what the Mach E has for the design of the front wheel wells.
Sponsored

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium ER (soon), 2019 Mustang GT, 2017 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Government (IT)
Country flag
Loved reading some really good comments and thought processes around the discussions (both for and against the Mach E --- I am not going to call it a "Mustang" or "MME".... because its NOT. I have a real Mustang already in my garage, but I'm ordering a Mach E for many reasons).
Anyway, we do not (and have not previously) owned a BEV (or even a hybrid), but my wife and I are really excited to finally take the "plunge". We were strongly considering a Model 3 (or even a slightly used S with the dual motor and bigger battery), but, when Ford announced the Mach E, we were excited (long time Ford owners and have inside contacts for great pricing, reservations, etc. --- was offered a GT500 allocation, but it's not in my financial cards right now... dang it. LOL).
I have driven a few Tesla's and I appreciate the technology and the approach Elon and his company takes to making things "just work", and they do , most times, very well. However, the fit/finish and overall quality (I do paint correction/detailing as a hobby), especially the paint (and panel fitment) on most Tesla's is abysmal to say the least... Now, I know, most Tesla owner's (even though a lot will admit the finish and build quality could be better) don't really care too much about that since the reason you buy a Tesla is the technology (and they have that in spades right now). But this is the very reason we want the Mach E... because it looks like a sporty car and the interior will have form and "traditional car" functionality that drivers want.... the Mach E will be a fun car first, and BEV second, whereas the Tesla is more tech first, car second (a function over form analogy if you will). And for non "car people", the Tesla is perfectly fine.... but, I'm a "car guy" through and through, and I refuse to drive an "applicance" like the Tesla. (hell, if I really want a boring appliance like experience, I would buy a Camry or Corolla and call it a day).
And as others have mentioned in this thread already, we really haven't seen anything yet on the numbers/ charging capibility (finalized numbers), and from what the Ford people are alluding to, the initial numbers are just teasors and "minimums". If you have ever followed Ford when they realease (or update) a new model, they ALWAYS sandbag thier numbers, right up until first customer delivery. The Mustang GT500 (and every other Mustang in history for that matter) is proof of that... (they advertised 760hp before release, and owners are getting around 700hp at the wheels on a dyno, which equates to over 800hp at the crank, just as an example).
Hell, my regular Mustang GT was advertised at 460hp, and with just a replacement drop in filter and resonator delete (X pipe), we dynoed it at 457hp at the wheels (over 510 hp at the crank).
You know with that 99kwH battery (and dual motors), when Ford finally finishes the tweaking, it's going to be a monster in acceleration and range will be great.
Also, the autopilot comment.... there was a video way back in November with a Ford Marketing Exec shortly after the launch announcement, and he was specifically asked about autopilot of some kind... and his response was, it wasn't enabled yet, and won't be at launch. I fully believe it will come as an update in the future for sure.
At any rate, this new forum is great and I'm learning a lot about BEV and the charging technology. Thanks!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Tesla full self driving is still not possible. Tesla has advertised in the near future and/or next year for quite some time. Still in level3. Elon Musk is trying (believing) software can overcome hardware limitations. Not going to happen in the near future for level 4 and 5. Ford build quality has got to be better than Tesla paint, body alignment, and service.

Reactions: UW2

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tesla full self driving is still not possible. Tesla has advertised in the near future and/or next year for quite some time. Still in level3. Elon Musk is trying (believing) software can overcome hardware limitations. Not going to happen in the near future for level 4 and 5.
Tesla offers SAE automation levels 0, 1, and 2 only. There aren't any situations in which a Tesla can safely control its motion without requiring a human driver to monitor its environment.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-innovation/automated-vehicles-safety#topic-road-self-driving

schmluss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
You have laid out all the reasons I reserved a Mach-E. However, my job is changing and I need to get a car in April. I have ordered a Model 3 figuring that if I don’t like it I can sell it for close to what I paid, or trade it in on my Mach-E if I don’t like it.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The Model 3's high resale value is nuts. Even two year old cars are selling close to full original MSRP. I think though part of it is that there's nothing like it on the market. Once the Model Y lands we'll probably see a crap ton of 3s hit the used car market to depress values.

Likewise, the Mustang Mach-E will be pretty unique. There's no mistaking it for a Tesla and that's what I'm counting on. I need Ford to give me that sporty performance without the Tesla baggage. I really don't want to get embarrassed at every stop light by a Tesla though... Ford, please make it faster than 5 seconds to 60mph.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's not a matter of Model 3 owners selling, it's a matter of would-be Model 3 buyers looking elsewhere as the Y, Mach-e, and other choices hit the market. Demand for the 3 will drop (relative to what it's been). And that lowers the market price.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Oh for God's sake. Seriously. I get you don't like your 3, that's fine. Choice is good; I'm looking at the Mach E too. But try and be real. More ground clearance. 50% more cargo space. Power hatchback--which doesn't need wipers. 6" higher seating. 2" bigger diameter tires. Probable 2" tow receiver. Possible variable ride height. You have no idea what the final configuration of the Y is; nobody does but folks at Tesla. But it's patently obvious the Y will be significantly different than the 3.

Information is good. FUD helps no one. Claiming you need to use the touchscreen to shift: FUD and not true. No difference but hatch between Y and 3: FUD and not true.

There are many REAL advantages the Mach e has. Folks that want to make an informed decision between the Y and the E will be best served by learning about real differences between the two.

Y on the left, 3 on the right. I know that it's a very subtle difference, but look closely.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What about those who don't have either? Say, someone looking for a used tesla because they can't afford a new one? Assuming a y and 3 are both on use d market, and y is more popular, 3 prices will fall in order to move them.
Sponsored