EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Hilarious... I have the thing with All-State in CA. I thought it was just me.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My insurance company says that my Mustang Mach-E is a "Ford Truck". And when I checked my paperwork from the dealer, it also says "Ford Truck".

Why is the Mach-E called a "Truck"?
Are all CUV's and SUV's considered to be trucks?
Is the Tesla Model-Y (a direct Mach-E competitor) classified as a "truck" by insurance companies?
because whenever you drive a Mach-E you think, "truck yeah, this is AWESOME! ?"

WARNING: that might be a non-factual explanation

Zobo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e AWD select standard
Country flag
Well in Iowa this means my Mach-e is a business trade truck and will register for $50/yr. be interesting when the title gets here.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
My insurance company says that my Mustang Mach-E is a "Ford Truck". And when I checked my paperwork from the dealer, it also says "Ford Truck".

Is the Tesla Model-Y (a direct Mach-E competitor) classified as a "truck" by insurance companies?
My insurance company, Farmers, considers it a truck. It also considered my Ford Edge a truck. Yet my wife's Lincoln Navigator is not considered a truck. Go figure.

I'm happy it's considered a truck. Makes the insurance a lot cheaper than had the considered it a sports car.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
First we have the ā€œitā€™s not a Mustangā€ crowd. Now we have the ā€œitā€™s not a truckā€ crowd.
The door jamb sticker says it all. My 16 Exploder Typ said Truck, it wasnā€™t a truck.
MME says MPV, I accept that.

Out of curiosity I checked my real truck and it does say itā€™s a Truck. No gender identity issues in my garage.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Why is Mach-E called a "truck" IMG_7716.PNG

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
When SUVs debuted they were on truck chassis, I would bet some states havent updated those rules.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag

Trucks don't have to meet the same safety standards as cars.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Keep on Trucking in the All New Mach-E Truck.
Mustang Trucking in its finest.

Mark Hassa

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Rapid Red Mach E Awd SR
Occupation
Food Inspector
Country flag
Mine is listed as a "Mustg" "4 Door Station Wagon". I wonder if the UK registered cars are listed as Estates?

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
For those in the USA: Crossovers sit exactly on the line between what NHTSA considers a car vs. a truck. But each has to be classified somehow, so extremely specific criteria are used to determine which side of the line a given CUV sits on. It is so specific that in recent history, it has sometimes been the case that you can option out a model and thereby convert its classification from car to truck. This has considerable implications for a manufacturer's CAFE regulation compliance. Many games have been played over the years to make small token changes to a model's specs, thereby turning a "car" model into a "truck" model, as from CAFE's point of view the model then is no longer a gas guzzler among cars but rather a gas sipper among trucks.

Some info about it
There is probably info out there that is less than 5 years old, but the basic idea is the same.

Mid size SUVs and up are basically all classified as trucks by NHTSA, no matter what anybody's piece of paper from State Farm says. Unless NHTSA has changed things, looking up the official standardized make/model/etc. of, say, an Explorer or Ram from the POV of NHTSA's data systems will produce a "FORD TRUCK EXPLORER" or "DODGE TRUCK RAM." (Not sure what the text looks like for one of those CUVs that can be either a car or a truck, depending on options. )

It does make me wonder exactly how the Mach E is NHTSA-classified. I suspect "truck."

jeevez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E CR1 ER-AWD
Country flag
Can confirm here in Canada mine is also listed as a Ford Truck Mustang on my insurance card.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My educated guess....

Many years ago when the CAFE standards first came out, light trucks were exempt. In order to fill the market niche left empty by the demise of the full size station wagon, manufacturers started putting station wagon-like bodies on light truck chassis and the SUV was born.

Kind of silly for an EV but technically itā€™s still a truck and thus exempt from the CAFE standards.
Exceptā€¦ The Suburban has been around since 1934. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

I need to look at my dealer paperwork (since @SirronD was referring to his dealerā€™s paperwork) to see what is listed on mine. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
My educated guess....

Many years ago when the CAFE standards first came out, light trucks were exempt. In order to fill the market niche left empty by the demise of the full size station wagon, manufacturers started putting station wagon-like bodies on light truck chassis and the SUV was born.

Kind of silly for an EV but technically itā€™s still a truck and thus exempt from the CAFE standards.
Wouldnā€™t car manufacturers want their EVs to NOT be trucks?

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Well in Iowa this means my Mach-e is a business trade truck and will register for $50/yr. be interesting when the title gets here.
Yeah. No. Just paid over $700 to register my CR1.
Sponsored