gduprey

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X4
Country flag
Curious is anyone else has been having wildly inaccurate nav routing, especially shortly after starting the car?

We live on a peninsula and as such, there is really only one main road in/out and one really out of the way means around it.

The machE knows where it is (GPS is fine), but when routing a trip, it always wants to take the wildly out-of-the way route.

Like a 3 mile trip on the main road is routed the insanely long way that makes it take olmost 2 hours.

I drive to the main road and u til at least half way there, it keeps trying to send me back the long way.

This happens like 80% of the time. Sometimes it's ok, so it's knows it can be done.

Curious if anyone else has consistantly and very wrong routing.

Gerry
Sponsored

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
Yes. Once, it was about 30 miles off course. It really screwed up driving on I-85 at 35mph. It fixed itself so I attributed it to karma.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I've only had this happen once in my 13 months of ownership. Granted, I've probably only used the nav a couple dozen times.

When I had the problem, I was about 200 miles from home, easily within battery range. It tried to route me to an in-network charge location that was 30 miles off the best route (60 miles total). This was in spite of the fact that there are 2 (out of network) DCFCs along the optimum route. I had even used one of those on the initial trip heading away from home.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, I replied before reading your whole post. Check settings to make sure you are not telling it to avoid certain conditions. Mine always avoids the 4 lane road by a hospital in favor of a 2 lane road. I suspect forced programming but no proof.

Chainspell

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
Make sure you’re set to “fastest” routing and not economical. I set mine to eco because hey less battery use sounds cool and was getting pretty ridiculous routes including one straight through an active airbase and and onto the flight line…

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
There is also dynamic routing, which seems to not be possible to turn off without turning off the whole live traffic system. If there is any "closed roads" it will try to avoid those, but this is not always up to date. It seems like it has been better before. This was a "huge issue" in norway at least with both sync 3 and at least in the earlier sync 4. The "official closed roads list" from the goverment organisation would always be set as "closed" even if it was just a minor road works with temporarly closing. The sync routing would always see them as permanently closed and would do whatever it takes to route around it, even if it would mean driving almost around the whole continent.

(And in sync 3 it was not even possible to turn off, it would read it from the lists sent through radio broadcasts (FM before, and later DAB broadcasts,). Sync 2 could not read it from DAB broadcasts, just from FM, and FM was closed a few years ago in norway, as so the road incient list broadcast through it, so sync 2 would start working again, but sync 3 would still do the whole country around routing. I think the sync 4 is only using lists downloaded via Internet, and seems to possibly now also use real data, as it will allow routing through a "closed road" if traffic is actually moving through)

OP
OP
gduprey

gduprey

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X4
Country flag
The odd thing is, once in a while, it will use the obvious road/routing.

But at least 75% of the time, it'll try to turn a 2-3 mile trip into a 45 mile trip (and around here, you really don't have more than 2 options - just that one is so out-of-the-way, that most would really say there is only one possible way/route).

I'm going to go through all the settings again - about the only thing I asked it to avoid was ferries as we have one close by that goes to southern NJ and it'll try to use it each time we head to the Northeast, even though between erratic scheduling and long transit times, it's always faster to "drive around"

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Check the traffic list and see if it reports any incidents close, it might show it in the list even if it routes a different road. Try routing to different places along the route to try to find exactly where it does not want to route

OP
OP
gduprey

gduprey

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X4
Country flag
Thanks, but no traffic (and this even happens on my annoyingly early airport trips at 4:30AM when it's me and the deer). I've explicitly cleared every restriction (including the ones on ferrys) and will try to route again and see if that helps.

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Thanks, but no traffic (and this even happens on my annoyingly early airport trips at 4:30AM when it's me and the deer). I've explicitly cleared every restriction (including the ones on ferrys) and will try to route again and see if that helps.
While I don't have your exact situation, I have something similar. I live in the foothills, and the most direct, fastest way up to my house has a very short section of the road that is rated at 15 mph, so the nav never chooses that route, instead it selects another route that is 15 miles longer. Google/Waze exhibits the same behavior 50% of the time, btw. I think the key is getting the underlying map data updated.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
My observations from the 3 map apps in order of routing accuracy. Google maps is tops, rarely get strange routes compared with Apple maps and Ford Nav.

But I like Apple maps carplay full screen portrait UI the best.

Wolverine

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been getting some ridiculously inaccurate route recommendations from the vehicle NAV/GPS recently. Yesterday, coming home to Irvine from LAX, the GPS told me several times to get off the 405 highway and basically drive around the local neighborhood. Finally, once the GPS settled down on the correct route, it told me 4 times to get in and out of the HOV lane. Anybody else have similar issues -- or remedies?

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
The last time I used it, I already knew the route that is fastest, and that I would need no charging. I just thought I would see if my car was smart enough to take the same route.

It decided to take me some longer, roundabout way and stop at a charger because now I wouldn't have enough battery to take its long, stupid way. I generally avoid using the Ford navigation.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use NAV all the time and I have had it tell me to get out of the HOV lane often but I ignore it. Only once or twice did I regret not following its guidance. It gives me something to yell at besides other drivers.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Curious is anyone else has been having wildly inaccurate nav routing, especially shortly after starting the car?

We live on a peninsula and as such, there is really only one main road in/out and one really out of the way means around it.

The machE knows where it is (GPS is fine), but when routing a trip, it always wants to take the wildly out-of-the way route.

Like a 3 mile trip on the main road is routed the insanely long way that makes it take olmost 2 hours.

I drive to the main road and u til at least half way there, it keeps trying to send me back the long way.

This happens like 80% of the time. Sometimes it's ok, so it's knows it can be done.

Curious if anyone else has consistantly and very wrong routing.

Gerry
I've been having consistent weird navigation problems with Ford's navigation. It wants to take me off the highway at every exit. Sometimes it wants to put me right back on the highway after taking an exit.
Sponsored