Will we ever get sentry mode equivalent? Does anyone have a good reason why not?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, you all are right. If someone wants to do damage on others’ property, they will do it no matter if you have a camera on them or not. I just never imagined when I ordered my new electric Mustang 2 years ago that I may be subjected to hate because of it. I cannot think of any other reason to have done such a thing, except maybe he was having a bad morning and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It probably is good not to have to rehash it with video. It’s ok; I’m just not going to let this deter me from enjoying driving my Mach E everywhere.
Exactly - I love taking mine for a little acceleration therapy when I've had a bad day, and it makes everything all better :)
Sponsored

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I picked up a BlackVue DR900X-2CH-PLUS Dual Lens 4K, and I'm happy with it so far.

The folks that are saying there is a slim chance they will catch someone with the footage are right. There is still a chance that it will be helpful, though. I got mine mainly for the many bad drivers around here, but I also like that I might have some footage of someone (accidentally or not) when I'm not around.

I had an LTE Owlcam that alerted me in real-time that someone had entered my vehicle after hours while it was at the dealer. Apparently, the dealer left the doors unlocked and pulled it outside. I did call the non-emergency number for the police, and they sent a car over and verified that my doors were all open, and they stole my camera (that could have been when I went to live voice mode and told them to smile and get out of my car). Nothing ever came out of it, but it was a great conversation at the dealer when I threw a fit with the manager about it. It, of course, was not their fault until I played the video that was uploaded to the cloud. They found a nice quiet place for us to talk after that. ;)

So... I purchased a Verizon JetPack for my Mach-E with a Morhie battery pack. It keeps my hotspot charged while it keeps it charged topped off. The live view is a must-have for me, as well as automatic cloud upload. Take my camera, and I still have the footage. You can purchase a BlackVue LTE module, but I felt like this gave me better flexibility and not get stuck with a carrier (like the car or the BlackVue LTE module).

I was holding out for an integrated Ford solution, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 12.23.56 PM.jpg

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
People have been identified and charged with vandalizing Teslas because of Sentry Mode. If you have a good shot of their face, you can post it on social media. One woman even made the news and had to turn herself in.

I also think that if people know it's a feature, it can serve as a bit of a deterrent.

I'd get one of those front / rear surveillance dashcams with motion detection. Whatever you get, go for 4k or 1080p 60fps.

No, it won't prevent an idiot from doing it anyway, but it will bring you some peace of mind.

We have cameras around our house. I think there has been studies that show cameras, like a cop is more a deterrent than anything else. Sorta like those alarm signs and alarms in general.

You see a cop on the highway, literally EVERYONE stops going 85+ and back to 65-70 MPH. It just makes your car a less tempting target I assume if everyone knew you recorded everything.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Sentry is a giant battery drain. I recall it was 1% a day for me or about 1 kW according to TeslaFi monitoring. I'm loosely estimating. I had to disable on certain locations (like home and office).

Sentry is cool and all but Mach-E needs an integrated dashcam/cam recording system. I'd like all my cameras to be recording everything when I'm driving - on to a USB stick or SD card. It's something I do miss from the Model Y.

There are so many horror stories with traffic accidents and inconsistent reports (aka lies) that could be resolved with camera footage.

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I picked up a BlackVue DR900X-2CH-PLUS Dual Lens 4K, and I'm happy with it so far.

The folks that are saying there is a slim chance they will catch someone with the footage are right. There is still a chance that it will be helpful, though. I got mine mainly for the many bad drivers around here, but I also like that I might have some footage of someone (accidentally or not) when I'm not around.

I had an LTE Owlcam that alerted me in real-time that someone had entered my vehicle after hours while it was at the dealer. Apparently, the dealer left the doors unlocked and pulled it outside. I did call the non-emergency number for the police, and they sent a car over and verified that my doors were all open, and they stole my camera (that could have been when I went to live voice mode and told them to smile and get out of my car). Nothing ever came out of it, but it was a great conversation at the dealer when I threw a fit with the manager about it. It, of course, was not their fault until I played the video that was uploaded to the cloud. They found a nice quiet place for us to talk after that. ;)

So... I purchased a Verizon JetPack for my Mach-E with a Morhie battery pack. It keeps my hotspot charged while it keeps it charged topped off. The live view is a must-have for me, as well as automatic cloud upload. Take my camera, and I still have the footage. You can purchase a BlackVue LTE module, but I felt like this gave me better flexibility and not get stuck with a carrier (like the car or the BlackVue LTE module).

I was holding out for an integrated Ford solution, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 12.23.56 PM.jpg

I was looking at the BlackVue and like their cloud uploading and live view a lot more than the Thinkware one since it seems like the BlackVue from a video I saw is a lot faster/further developed for that piece (cloud/uploading/live view).

The price of the Blackvue LTE stuff was really expensive. For the Verizon Hotspot, are you mostly using your normal data or is that separate when you purchase that? That sounds like a really good solution so if you have more info you can share, I might go down that route.

Did you get the IR version of that camera?

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I was looking at the BlackVue and like their cloud uploading and live view a lot more than the Thinkware one since it seems like the BlackVue from a video I saw is a lot faster/further developed for that piece (cloud/uploading/live view).

The price of the Blackvue LTE stuff was really expensive. For the Verizon Hotspot, are you mostly using your normal data or is that separate when you purchase that? That sounds like a really good solution so if you have more info you can share, I might go down that route.

Did you get the IR version of that camera?
For the hotspot, I purchased a separate data plan. I have several other phones on my plan, which made a one-off AT&T subscription not a good choice for me. With a multi-line discount, they have a 15GB plan for $10 a month or a 50GB plan for $20 a month.

The jetpack is roughly the same price as the BlackVue LTE module, and I have the option of using it for other things (i.e. taking it out of my car), which is why I went that path. The BlackVue LTE module is $169, by the way. https://blackvue.com/product/lte-connectivity-module/

No way around it (that I see). You will have a monthly data cost if you want live view. Even if Ford enabled a sentry mode, the same would apply. I can't see Ford offering free LTE for a sentry mode.
Sponsored