Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Occupation
Pc tech
Country flag
I am getting the front windows tinted next week to battle the amount of light the side mirrors reflect when night driving. Couple of questions: Is the factory level of tint on the back windows legal on the driver and passenger side windows in PA? - looks like they are 20%? Also, should I go standard or ceramic tinting? Appreciate any input. Thanks!
Sponsored

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Go with ceramic. The tint shop should know the laws where you live.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Rear windows measured at 27%. FYI - many states allow SUV REAR windows to be as dark as 5% for privacy purposes. You can thank your local congressmen/women for this. Double check if this is the case for PA. This does fly in VA and DE.

For tint on my Mach-E, I went with SunTek Evolve high-performance ceramic. 30% on front windows, 70% on rear windows, and hatch glass. Front and rear are a next-to-perfect match in color and darkness. I also added 50% to the roof glass.

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Curious if better to just do ceramic tints on the front doors to match the factory on the rears, or do all ceramic tint.

Outfit Iā€™m looking at uses Suntek ceramics, and would be $350 for the fronts, or $550 for the whole vehicle.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Curious if better to just do ceramic tints on the front doors to match the factory on the rears, or do all ceramic tint.

Outfit Iā€™m looking at uses Suntek ceramics, and would be $350 for the fronts, or $550 for the whole vehicle.
I had 50% ceramic put on all the door windows and the hatch. (Did not touch the roof glass or the windshield because those already have low e glass protection or IRR coating.)

I think you'll want to put ceramic on all of the door windows/hatch to block out the heat! It is really amazing to feel the difference!

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Rear windows measured at 27%. FYI - many states allow SUV REAR windows to be as dark as 5% for privacy purposes. You can thank your local congressmen/women for this. Double check if this is the case for PA. This does fly in VA and DE.

For tint on my Mach-E, I went with SunTek Evolve high-performance ceramic. 30% on front windows, 70% on rear windows, and hatch glass. Front and rear are a next-to-perfect match in color and darkness. I also added 50% to the roof glass.
Hey, Connor, where did you have this done? Local shop? Happy with them?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Hey, Connor, where did you have this done? Local shop? Happy with them?
Very happy with the shop's work (National Window Tint, Chantilly VA), but we're not happy with the tint product. With high-end ceramic films, you'll end up with a low-angle haze when at certain angles of sunlight, which results in clarity distortion. It can get pretty annoying. Also, tinting the Mach-E roof wasn't necessary. I removed it and instead use a $50 shade from Amazon. Works much better.

I just had our Rivian done at LA Tint, with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle and Llumar Air 80 (what I've always used on my vehicles) and I'm very happy with it.

My normal statements about using high-end ceramic tint:
Go for high-end ceramic if heat dissipation is your #1 goal, and only choose this option if you're getting the windshield done. Using a high-end ceramic film makes no sense if you're leaving the windshield uncovered. My recommended option: Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle on your doors and rear glass + Llumar Air 80 on the windshield. Air 80 is a very light film and shouldn't give you any trouble in VA.

If you don't plan on doing the windshield, you could go with SunTek CIR (from National Window Tint in Chantilly, VA) or Llumar CTX (LA Tint in Sterling or Manassas offers this).

I don't use, nor do I like XPEL window films. I also am not a fan of 3M Crystalline - specifically the color of the film.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Photos would be great to go with these posts. We can't do much in CA but I know the police don't carry light guns or whatever you need to measure it so as long as its not too dark I should be fine.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
We did
3M Nano Ceramic Film
25% Front Side Windows
And it looks like a perfect match to the backs

o.jpg

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My photos. 50% ceramic on windows and hatch. Didn't want the fronts to be as dark as the back to avoid drawing too much law enforcement attention.

Before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Window tint questions 56E8EB1C-37BF-4ECE-9A76-EB7CDEF502A9

After:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Window tint questions 99A11585-C6F9-4CAE-AF81-8FEA5DDCB129

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Tinting only front windows more then enough. Windshield and Glass roof have great heat protection from the factory. Rear windows factory tinting also good, no complaints from my kids and passengers. Applied by myself only on front windows 3M ceramic series 25%, perfect match with rear windows, great heat resistant even under California sun. Doesnā€™t feel any difference in heat resistant compared with my KIA with 3m Crystalline, regret I overpaid for professional installation of this tint.
51490031-540B-40FB-AE76-B33DC84CB80A.jpeg
D3F0888C-A75D-47A3-BD2A-B411F0360194.jpeg
99DAE2D8-E72A-4C6B-9384-6D1CF71349F9.jpeg

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Very happy with the shop's work (National Window Tint, Chantilly VA), but we're not happy with the tint product. With high-end ceramic films, you'll end up with a low-angle haze when at certain angles of sunlight, which results in clarity distortion. It can get pretty annoying. Also, tinting the Mach-E roof wasn't necessary. I removed it and instead use a $50 shade from Amazon. Works much better.

I just had our Rivian done at LA Tint, with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle and Llumar Air 80 (what I've always used on my vehicles) and I'm very happy with it.

My normal statements about using high-end ceramic tint:
Go for high-end ceramic if heat dissipation is your #1 goal, and only choose this option if you're getting the windshield done. Using a high-end ceramic film makes no sense if you're leaving the windshield uncovered. My recommended option: Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle on your doors and rear glass + Llumar Air 80 on the windshield. Air 80 is a very light film and shouldn't give you any trouble in VA.

If you don't plan on doing the windshield, you could go with SunTek CIR (from National Window Tint in Chantilly, VA) or Llumar CTX (LA Tint in Sterling or Manassas offers this).

I don't use, nor do I like XPEL window films. I also am not a fan of 3M Crystalline - specifically the color of the film.
Thatā€™s fantastic dude, thanks! Iā€™m just looking for tint to make it harder to see my ugly mug; I have no problems with the heat.

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
I got the MME tinted by the dealership and I think I overdid it. I forget the level but it may be 5%, they said it was legal. I can barely see out of the rear view mirror and never have to worry about any high beams. If I were to do it again I would have not done it and just saved the money
Sponsored