dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
What lag? Most people don’t watch movies with CarPlay so latency isn’t that big of a deal
Have you ever tried to skip ads on a podcast episode or simply skip songs in an album? There’s a solid 4-5 second delay anytime you make an input to the audio stream. It’s not just the MachE it’s every CarPlay enabled vehicle because Apple uses an Airplay 2 backbone.
Sponsored

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Have you ever tried to skip ads on a podcast episode or simply skip songs in an album? There’s a solid 4-5 second delay anytime you make an input to the audio stream. It’s not just the MachE it’s every CarPlay enabled vehicle because Apple uses an Airplay 2 backbone.
How old is your iPhone? 4-5 seconds?? Mine takes 1-2 seconds, if that.

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
I don’t know how long it actually is, but it annoys me significantly. It’s way too long. Even if it’s just 1-2 seconds.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Just got 4.2.2. Yes, it's a lot faster and feels actually usable. Super excited about this one. Just have to figure out if it's possible to log in while having a security key as your mfa.

OP
OP
dougni

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
Just got 4.2.2. Yes, it's a lot faster and feels actually usable. Super excited about this one. Just have to figure out if it's possible to log in while having a security key as your mfa.
And @Ford Motor Company again forgets to mention it in the release notes 😂 just like preconditioning in nav.

OP
OP
dougni

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
It’s just how wireless CarPlay and Android Auto work, it connects via Wi-Fi to the car and Bluetooth
On iPhone 13 I connected with no issues, even with wireless CarPlay enabled. Since I upgraded to iPhone 14 I haven't been able to connect, even if I disable CarPlay. No Hotspot for me. So I just signed up to Ford Streaming, haha

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
On iPhone 13 I connected with no issues, even with wireless CarPlay enabled. Since I upgraded to iPhone 14 I haven't been able to connect, even if I disable CarPlay. No Hotspot for me. So I just signed up to Ford Streaming, haha
yeah I'm on Ford Streaming plan as well, no need to hassle with hotspot and has unlimited streaming, not a bad deal for $10.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have a carplay AI box that I use for Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Prime, etc.. in the vehicle if I need entertainment. But what bugs me is being treated differently than the rest of the market, with missing features that are offered elsewhere, particularly when the capability is already there. I've actually confirmed for myself that YouTube works on the MME with a hacky workaround that was posted a while back. Essentially the vehicle already has a browser, and the vehicle already has the ability to play YouTube videos as there are no issues with DRM and licensing of media. So why not just add what Essentially amounts to a browser shortcut to YouTube when all the functionality is already there???
I would prefer Ford add a remote frunk release to enable what is already there, before they continue to work on stuff like games and videos. It’s a car, not an arcade or movie theater.

Frenzyguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yawn. Ford can spend resources messing around with YouTube but after 2 years, we still don’t have a frunk release? 🙄
What are you talking about, we have it in the car and in the app, Had it since 2021 in car (batch 2 car) and in the app aince last summer.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
What are you talking about, we have it in the car and in the app, Had it since 2021 in car (batch 2 car) and in the app aince last summer.
This is a Job 1 issue

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Hoping someone can verify my understanding of in-car internet (specifically for iOS users).

If you want to have the car utilize your cell phone's hotspot, you need to disable wireless CarPlay - but, if you want to use CarPlay, you can utilize the wired (plug-in) USB option (while still piggybacking internet connectivity wirelessly off your phone).

Should you want to use wireless car play AND internet connectivity you must activate (then eventually pay for) Ford's streaming option (which I saw mentioned being $10/mo).

Is that about right?

I appreciate wireless CarPlay, even if there is some added lag, as I like just jumping in and going (not having to fish my phone out of my pocket, find the cord, etc). Seems like either lazy design (considering how many iOS users there are) or an ingenious way to "force" people to sub to the monthly streaming offered ;)

I've just gotten updated to the point where YouTube is even available, so this has not been an issue, I'm just trying to make sure I grasp the variable correctly.

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Try to completely remove and re-pair your phone. At some point my Android was playing audio 3+ seconds behind after a year of being snappy. Seems like it decided to start using Bluetooth to stream the audio instead of the AA audio data stream, and BT was adding several seconds of latency. As soon as I completely reset my phone connection it's back to a couple hundred milliseconds at most, both wired and wireless.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I had the chance to play around with the Youtube app tonight, after not using it for a couple of months. Wow, it is indeed so much faster! It's actually useable now whereas previous it was just too slow and clunky to bother with. Nice.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Wow, the YouTube app is so much better now! Not laggy anymore. I wonder what the deal was with the first version.
Sponsored