2021 Mustang Mach-E Models / Trims and Availability Dates

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hard to say. It could still be just COVID. I wouldn't be surprised if resources have been diverted to other products so they can keep those on schedule, such as the new Bronco lineup and F-150. Those will sell in much higher volume and earn more money than the Mach-E GT, which only accounts for a fraction of the already low volume Mach-e. Besides just the work delays, COVID was absolutely brutal to Fords stock value and shareholder confidence, so I imagine there is a lot of pressure to get those other projects launched successfully to keep the shareholders happy and balance sheets above water. Ford is already reeling from other issues the last few years, like the Air Bag recalls, transmission issues, and troubled Explorer launch so things were already shaky for them before COVID striked and they can't afford to mess up any of their big upcoming launches.
The GT is likely going to be the most profitable trim of the MME so it would make the most sense for Ford to ensure that it gets out timely and is also competitive on the marketplace if not a class leader. That's why I'm having a hard time understanding why it is not coming out sooner.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Did anyone notice that the GT slide that Darren Palmer used in the Plug In America webcast has been updated to indicate that the GT will be available from Late 2021? It used to say Late Summer 2021.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mustang Mach-E Models / Trims and Availability Dates 1602529137499

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Did anyone notice that the GT slide that Darren Palmer used in the Plug In America webcast has been updated to indicate that the GT will be available from Late 2021? It used to say Late Summer 2021.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mustang Mach-E Models / Trims and Availability Dates 1602529137499
The Ford site still shows late summer 2021... so I’m hoping this was an error in Palmer’s slide and not that the program has slipped another 4 or 5 months but hasn’t been updated on the Ford site.
(On a side note, I also find disappointing that the “unique” gray grille of the Performance package doesn’t look as good as the standard black GT grille shown on the same picture in the Ford Mach-e page.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Ford site still shows late summer 2021... so I’m hoping this was an error in Palmer’s slide and not that the program has slipped another 4 or 5 months but hasn’t been updated on the Ford site.
Could be. Or maybe the reason that Ford suddenly seems to have enough batteries for more than the originally planned 50k cars is that they're now planning to use all 50k batteries on the non-GT models and push the GT to later in the year and release it as a 2022 model. If the late 2021 availability really is accurate, I can't imagine that they'd want to release it as a 2021 model year.

jammons83

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Atlas SEL Premium & 2014 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS
Country flag
So has anyone been able to confirm if the GT comes with the panoramic roof or if Ford is making it an optional ad on?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So has anyone been able to confirm if the GT comes with the panoramic roof or if Ford is making it an optional ad on?
Ford has stated the base GT will not have the panoramic roof and it will be an option.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
(On a side note, I also find disappointing that the “unique” gray grille of the Performance package doesn’t look as good as the standard black GT grille shown on the same picture in the Ford Mach-e page.
The Ford site must not be updated yet. Palmer is updated, lol.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I got an email the other day that my 2021 select was scheduled for build mid-December..... Anybody know what that may translate into for a delivery date? To New Mexico ?

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
Add 2 month from your build date and IMO you should not be disappointed, if things get faster your will be happy otherwise you will be really close from your delivery. :)

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I got an email the other day that my 2021 select was scheduled for build mid-December..... Anybody know what that may translate into for a delivery date? To New Mexico ?
It depends on where you live. My dealer (in Michigan) tells me that other cars that came from that same plant typically had a roughly 3 week delivery time. (I would expect New Mexico to be sooner... but don't know by how much).

BUT... there's a catch because this isn't just a new model year revision... this is an entirely new car.

Consumers recognize that someone has to engineer the new "car" (that's "product engineering") ... but what they often don't consider is that there is no equipment in a plant that makes that car (that's "production engineering"). The plant would have gone through a shut down to install all the new equipment and modify the assembly line in preparation for this car. Employees have to be trained and this is a slow process. The plant wont be producing 50-60 cars per hour when they start.

I think Ford originally planned to start production in October ... but that was pre-pandemic. The pandemic delayed things by many weeks (and we're lucky ... many new models are delayed by many months).

The first day of operation a plant typically makes just a couple of cars (my Ford engineer friends set my expectation that day #1 ... might make just 2 cars in the entire day). The next day they make a few more (for example, maybe 5). But they quickly start increasing the number of cars per day (dozens per day) ... and then dozens per hour. After a couple of weeks they may be building 50 cars per hour and things start to smooth out in the production process.

They are required to produce a minimum number of cars that cannot legally be sold to consumers (I'm told that number is 500 ... but not sure if that number is correct). Those cars are to help work out production issues (they always expect to encounter problems with the earliest cars). Sometimes they encounter part issues and even have to change parts at the last minute.

Those early cars will be tested to make sure they don't have problems.

The next set of cars being built are the dealer demo cars (remember you were told there would be cars you can test drive? That's those cars! My dealer is expecting their demo car around Nov 23rd). Those cars *can* eventually be sold to consumers (and at a sweet deal because of how the program works) ... but not until after Ford says so. Typically they keep them for several months before they are allowed to sell them.

The next set of cars are the consumer cars. Those cars will initially get parked. If you have a car being built in the first couple of weeks, your car *might* get parked in a holding lot. IF and HOW LONG depends on how the testing goes with that first batch of around 500 cars. They have to make sure the cars don't have any issues (they don't want to send the cars... then have to recall the cars).

Once they get the green light to ship... shipping begins. But even here it gets tricky.

The first cars off the line get parked in the lot. They don't leave nice wide aisles like you see in a parking lot... the cars are lined up in rows one right after the next ... bumper to bumper. This means the car ALL THE WAY AT THE BACK is blocked in by a whole lot of cars that have to get moved out of the way. For this reason... the lucky (or unlucky) owner of the first consumer car off the assembly line ... is probably so parked in at the back fence and it will take a while before their car can ship. The person who had the last car roll off the line before the plant got the green light to ship... that car ships first (it has to get out of the way to get to the car behind it ... and so on.)

If your car is scheduled for build in January... it'll probably ship right away. But if your car is being built in very late November or early December ... there's a chance that your car will be waiting in a lot for a few weeks before it can ship.

I have a Dec 7 build date. I am not expecting my car to arrive before January. If it does arrive in 2020 then my guess is that it'll the last few days of the month.

I do not work for Ford (and never have). But I *do* live in Dearborn (Ford HQ) and literally every one of my adjacent neighbors works for or did work for Ford (most are retirees now). So when I talked to them about my new car orders, they walk me through the whole "new vehicle launch" process to set my expectations.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It depends on where you live. My dealer (in Michigan) tells me that other cars that came from that same plant typically had a roughly 3 week delivery time. (I would expect New Mexico to be sooner... but don't know by how much).
cool, so with their most recent communication of scheduled for build mid-dec for my Select.... I will expect delivery somewhere between 1-3 months later.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven’t placed my order yet, but would like delivery in March or April, on a Premium AWD ER. Does anyone have an idea when I should place the order?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven’t placed my order yet, but would like delivery in March or April, on a Premium AWD ER. Does anyone have an idea when I should place the order?
Now. I think you're already too late for March. An order placed now might get delivered in April or May.

Last edited:

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Probably 27/06/2020
Sponsored