3 prong/50A/250v?

timchecketts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I probably should have researched this more before I picked up my Mach E on Thursday but I erroneously assumed I was good to go with my outlet for faster charging with the outlet I have in my attached picture in my shop. Turns out the charger it came with is a 4 prong.

Can I safely buy an adapter, buy a specific charging unit or should I just bite the bullet here and get an electrician to look at this?

Sorry, as you can tell I have no knowledge on electrical so I was hoping to ask people way more knowledgeable than myself. I appreciate any advice.

2404EE33-12CE-4D70-B1D9-EBCE74C38173.jpeg
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You can use a NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. Just make sure it’s rated for continuous use.

Or better yet, get yourself something like a ChargePoint Home Flex with a 6-50 plug and keep the Ford Mobile Charger in the car.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
That looks like a NEMA 6-50R. There are EVSEs that use a 6-50P on the end of their cord. The most common plug found on the end of an EVSE cord is the NEMA 14-50P. There are adapters, but they may or may not be safe depending on manufacture. If you are going to use the Ford Mobile Charger as your main EVSE, you should probably have an electrician change your receptacle and rewire as necessary. Make sure he supplies you with an industrial grade receptacle, as many people have had failures with residential and commercial grade receptacles. See the chart below for NEMA outlet/plug configurations. 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 prong/50A/250v? DD98DD1C-A635-485B-B724-E7F9B896ACEB

Oh, a side note on the Ford Mobile Charger: Many members here have had issues over time and in hot weather with it, so you might want to get a better EVSE for prolonged use and just keep the mobile unit in your car in case you need it on the road. 🤷‍♂️🐩

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That looks like a NEMA 6-50R. There are EVSEs that use a 6-50P on the end of their cord. The most common plug found on the end of an EVSE cord is the NEMA 14-50P. There are adapters, but they may or may not be safe depending on manufacture. If you are going to use the Ford Mobile Charger as your main EVSE, you should probably have an electrician change your receptacle and rewire as necessary. Make sure he supplies you with an industrial grade receptacle, as many people have had failures with residential and commercial grade receptacles. See the chart below for NEMA outlet/plug configurations. 😊🐩

DD98DD1C-A635-485B-B724-E7F9B896ACEB.gif

Oh, a side note on the Ford Mobile Charger: Many members here have had issues over time and in hot weather with it, so you might want to get a better EVSE for prolonged use and just keep the mobile unit in your car in case you need it on the road. 🤷‍♂️🐩
What he said. If it were me I'd just get a wall mounted charger with the 6-50 plug like the clippercreek; it's not worth hoping that the cheap chinese adapter you get online will hold up. FYI, here's some links that will help you learn the basics. It seems intimidating at first, but it's no more complicated than getting used to your first smartphone:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-for-newbies.9443/post-242483

OP
OP

timchecketts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thank all of you for the great info. I really appreciate it.

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

[/QUOTE

Like you said keep the ford charger for out on the road that way if you need to charge just find any RV camp ground that will let you charge cause all RV use 14-50 4 prong

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
I probably should have researched this more before I picked up my Mach E on Thursday but I erroneously assumed I was good to go with my outlet for faster charging with the outlet I have in my attached picture in my shop. Turns out the charger it came with is a 4 prong.

Can I safely buy an adapter, buy a specific charging unit or should I just bite the bullet here and get an electrician to look at this?

Sorry, as you can tell I have no knowledge on electrical so I was hoping to ask people way more knowledgeable than myself. I appreciate any advice.

I would turn the breaker off and open the receptacle.
If there are 4-wires in there black/red/white/green then you can just replace the receptacle with a 14-50.
If there isn't a 4th wire for the neutral, getting a charger with a 6-50 plug is easy.
The Grizzl-E can be purchased with either end installed.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
You will not be able to use a adapter with the Ford charger as it needs and uses the neutral lag for control power. There are many EVSE units out there that do not need a neutral like Grizzl-e and ChargePoint. Otherwise, you will need to add or rewire from your panel a neutral to the receptacle for a 14-50.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
You will not be able to use a adapter with the Ford charger as it needs and uses the neutral lag for control power. There are many EVSE units out there that do not need a neutral like Grizzl-e and ChargePoint. Otherwise, you will need to add or rewire from your panel a neutral to the receptacle for a 14-50.
It doesn't need the neutral. I keep seeing this over and over. The neutral isn't terminated inside the connector. A well made adapter as mentioned above will work just fine.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
It doesn't need the neutral. I keep seeing this over and over. The neutral isn't terminated inside the connector. A well made adapter as mentioned above will work just fine.
Depends on which one you have.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
You can use a NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter. Just make sure it’s rated for continuous use.

Or better yet, get yourself something like a ChargePoint Home Flex with a 6-50 plug and keep the Ford Mobile Charger in the car.
JuiceBox also can come with a 6-50 plug.

OP
OP

timchecketts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Hello all! Have an update. I received my Grizzl-E and installed it. It was charging for about 5 minutes and then tripped the breaker.

Looking at the breaker it looks like it has 30A twice so am I looking at 60A total or just 30A? If we’re looking at a 30A the. I’m assuming I’ll have to adjust my Grizzl-E or have an electrician upgrade my panel?

Thanks!

A1259577-38FD-43D4-BC63-218C43A1A9BB.jpeg

2A9414CE-F717-450C-BF0C-3506AE6CF1E7.jpeg

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Hello all! Have an update. I received my Grizzl-E and installed it. It was charging for about 5 minutes and then tripped the breaker.

Looking at the breaker it looks like it has 30A twice so am I looking at 60A total or just 30A? If we’re looking at a 30A the. I’m assuming I’ll have to adjust my Grizzl-E or have an electrician upgrade my panel?

Thanks!

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 prong/50A/250v? 2A9414CE-F717-450C-BF0C-3506AE6CF1E7

Ford Mustang Mach-E 3 prong/50A/250v? 2A9414CE-F717-450C-BF0C-3506AE6CF1E7
Yeah, that’s a problem. That’s only a 30A breaker (you don’t add the number together). So you have a 50A outlet on a 30A breaker, that’s a big code violation and somebody screwed up. Don’t use it again and call an electrician.