Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you have 6 AWG wire between the outlet and breaker, then all you need to do is change the breaker, which will be a cheaper solution than upgrading the wiring to the outlet.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you have 6 AWG wire between the outlet and breaker, then all you need to do is change the breaker, which will be a cheaper solution than upgrading the wiring to the outlet.
Now why would an electrician go to the trouble of installing #6 wire and only put a 30A breaker on it? More than likely the wire is TOO SMALL and somebody put in a 50A outlet instead of a 30A outlet. I don’t think #6 wire will even fit in a 30A breaker.

OP you need somebody qualified to look at the whole setup including wire size and fix it so it’s code compliant. DO NOT JUST SWAP IN A LARGER BREAKER or you could burn your house down. The breaker has to match the wire size it’s protecting. You cannot put in a larger breaker unless you also upgrade the wire size at the same time.

This is serious stuff if you mess up, not weekend handyman hour. EVs draw a lot of power and it 100% needs to be done right or the weaknesses will turn into safety risks.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I believe the Grizzl-E can be configured to 24A, which in theory is safe for your 30A breaker.......but who knows what else is wrong with the circuit.

OP
OP

timchecketts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks all for the responses. I’m reaching out to an electrician. I was also going to ask that, the Grizzl-E can be configured to draw 24 amps, is that safe to use for now?

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks all for the responses. I’m reaching out to an electrician. I was also going to ask that, the Grizzl-E can be configured to draw 24 amps, is that safe to use for now?
Yes, with an asterisk. Whoever installed that breaker/outlet didn't follow the rules to begin with. Who knows what wire is running between the breaker and outlet. Hopefully it is rated for at least 30 amp continuous, and 24 will be more than fine. But unless you can confirm the wire size run between the breaker and outlet I would wait for the electrician to check things over.
Sponsored