mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
We're glad to hear the Emporia Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger and Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor are working well for you!

If you have any feedback, we're here! Have you explored any of the automation features within the Emporia App?
I have not taken advantage of the Emporia automation capabilities because I am using Hubitat for my home automation solution. I would really love to integrate my Emporia stuff with Hubitat. Is there any chance that could happen?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Charge point home flex actually does let you change the charging current with the app... It's just a different app. When you use that app it makes you promise you really know what you are doing and are qualified... Presumably so people don't go setting their chargers to 50A on 30A circuits. One nice thing for me is that it knows the TOU plan rates from my utility already.
Cool. I have an installer account already. I will give that a try. Thanks!
đź‘Ť

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I didn't have much luck with that app. I tried logging in with my regular ChargePoint account, which didn't work. So I tried creating a new Service Pro account and it just pops up an error that says "False".
Didn't work for me either.
I have an installer account and when I enter the credentials it says my e-mail address is already taken. :(

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I have an installer account and when I enter the credentials it says my e-mail address is already taken. :(
That's weird because it worked on my first try. I didn't have an existing installer account but I created a new one with a new email and it worked just fine. Just logged in to test it too.

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I ended up going with the emporia charger, for a few reasons:
1. price
2. Supports both hardwired and plug with same model
3. UL listed
4. Generally positive reviews from people that own it
I now have two of them. One hardwired (House), and the other Plugged-In (Business). UL listed was a requirement for the one at our business to pass inspection. I’ve been pleased with the software as I have the home monitoring equipment as well.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That's weird because it worked on my first try. I didn't have an existing installer account but I created a new one with a new email and it worked just fine. Just logged in to test it too.
I will try again. Maybe I was trying to create a new account vs just signing in. That happens to me sometimes because I am easily confused when it comes to software.

Don't get me started with Ticket Master and Epic Pass. Will never use those two applications ever again. :(

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone ever tested their charging efficiency at various ampacities to see if there is any difference? I did lower mine to 32 amp to reduce the heat in the cable (was not that much) on the thought of wasted heat equals wasted energy. I have not; however, looked into losses with respect to the actual battery charger in the car and if charging quicker may actually be more efficient overall.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Thanks for considering our Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger! The Emporia App indeed does have a host of energy management features that we're really proud of and our customers enjoy. And paired with our Vue Energy Monitor, it can provide the most robust experience, which features like Solar Only Charging to automatically charge only when you are producing excess solar.

Please refer to this blog, especially section 5 about energy automation for more details: https://www.emporiaenergy.com/5-reasons-you-need-a-level-2-ev-charger

If you'd like to chat with our support team about your specific needs in detail, they are available via phone, chat, and email directly from our Colorado office: https://emoriaenergy.com/contact
Hello there, welcome to the forum.

I am thinking about replacing my Grizzl E with a Emporia unit. A coupon code would help with the choice.

You should get a spot down in the sponsor section..

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
Has anyone ever tested their charging efficiency at various ampacities to see if there is any difference? I did lower mine to 32 amp to reduce the heat in the cable (was not that much) on the thought of wasted heat equals wasted energy. I have not; however, looked into losses with respect to the actual battery charger in the car and if charging quicker may actually be more efficient overall.
On a pure electronics level I have read that the in-car electronics for L2 (240 VAC) are a couple percent more efficient than for L1 (120 VAC). At the same voltage lower amperage should be more efficient due to Ohm's law.

However you also have to consider pack heating and other chemistry factors. At cold temperatures when the car wants to heat the pack for charging it's possible the extra pack heating from 40 A vs 32 A would not be considered lost energy. The amount of that heating would have to be compared to the 60% greater resistance losses in the rest of the circuit to see if 40 A is actually worthwhile. I doubt it is, unless 32 A charging in the winter is taking longer than your available charging duration.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It worked. I just needed to press the "Log In" button vs "add account" (or whatever it was on that screen.) Thanks for the link!

Maxwells4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select RWD + CTP, IBSM
Country flag
I had the exact same problem. I created an account with the Pro app, and then when I tried to set up the user app, I could neither log into that account nor create a new one with the same email address. I had to use a different address.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On a pure electronics level I have read that the in-car electronics for L2 (240 VAC) are a couple percent more efficient than for L1 (120 VAC). At the same voltage lower amperage should be more efficient due to Ohm's law.

However you also have to consider pack heating and other chemistry factors. At cold temperatures when the car wants to heat the pack for charging it's possible the extra pack heating from 40 A vs 32 A would not be considered lost energy. The amount of that heating would have to be compared to the 60% greater resistance losses in the rest of the circuit to see if 40 A is actually worthwhile. I doubt it is, unless 32 A charging in the winter is taking longer than your available charging duration.
Not true. I have found out that L1 is only 70% efficient while L2 is in the 90’s. I believe it is due to voltage difference but it may be charger losses along with increased charge time. I have not really looked into it but the difference did astound me!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Not true. I have found out that L1 is only 70% efficient while L2 is in the 90’s. I believe it is due to voltage difference but it may be charger losses along with increased charge time. I have not really looked into it but the difference did astound me!
The main reason is that there is stuff running in the car while charging that uses the same amount of power regardless of the charge rate. A fixed value translates to a higher percentage of a lower value. Add to that the fact that this fixed amount runs for a longer period of time at slower charge rates.

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The main reason is that there is stuff running in the car while charging that uses the same amount of power regardless of the charge rate. A fixed value translates to a higher percentage of a lower value. Add to that the fact that this fixed amount runs for a longer period of time at slower charge rates.
That is what I assumed. I do wonder what the differential is between 32A, 40A and 48A charging on a efficiency basis.
Sponsored