[4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Just wanted to add our experience. Yesterday took a 30 mile round trip drive averaging about 75 - 80 and did not hear any wind noise. In fact, the sound of the tires at that speed greatly outweighs any sound from the outside.

Later in the day I made the same drive in our 2016 Honda Pilot Touring (which has "acoustic glass" and other quiet treatments from the factory), and the Honda is clearly and plainly louder with respect to wind noise than our Mach E when driven at the similar speeds.

I notice that nobody reporting the wind noise has recorded the noise (unlike the screen whine which we have many examples) so we as readers are left to assume what we are trying to listen for. Would an inflicted person care to take a quick video (the passenger of course not the driver at those speeds!)
Sponsored

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I definitely have some wind noise, but cannot tell how much, if any of the wind noise is from the pano roof. Inspired by @JSW, I ordered 15' of this 1298N3 1/4" cord (McMasterCarr) to give it a try to see if I can hear any difference. My wind noise is pronounced, but not terribly loud or disturbing.

After watching the Tesla video about cord, tempted to go around the entire perimeter. Not sure how high the risk is from trapped freezing water cracking the glass? That would be bad.
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.30.57 PM

Would have preferred this "better" one, but the low temp rating is not low enough (although not sure what actually happens if it gets much colder than 0F):
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.31.14 PM

Last edited:

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
Comparable data might be useful here. There are some free apps for the iPhone that will give you ambient sound intensity (dB meter is one). Someone with a loud MME could get the app and track noise levels driving down a quiet street at 50mph, phone in hand held at ear level, and compare to another forum member's dB levels from a quiet MME in similar conditions.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
After watching the Tesla video about cord, tempted to go around the entire perimeter. Not sure how high the risk is from trapped freezing water cracking the glass? That would be bad.
I think the water is suposed to channel and drop out the sides. But with it in, I think the worst case is water will just spray over the top and maybe light rain/wipers might be more likley to spill over and in the front windows if cracked open. Doesn't seem like a big deal, and in a heavy rain, all bets for water channeling are probably moot anyway.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I had an online chat with Ford customer service today to register my complaint that there is excessive wind noise where the windshield meets the glass roof. She also suggested I notify my dealer, which I will do. Hopefully, that will result in a quicker solution from Ford.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Comparable data might be useful here. There are some free apps for the iPhone that will give you ambient sound intensity (dB meter is one). Someone with a loud MME could get the app and track noise levels driving down a quiet street at 50mph, phone in hand held at ear level, and compare to another forum member's dB levels from a quiet MME in similar conditions.
Wind speed and direction, road conditions, phone location and sensitivity, there are way too many variables to lock this issue down with any certainty. As people drive their cars, if they think they hear too much wind noise, they can try the fix in this thread. Pretty simple.

Ford knows how the glass roof was supposed to be positioned. If it is out of tolerance, that's also pretty straightforward.

sabat

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Ecoboost
Country flag
We might see some folks happy with 75 dB, and others unhappy with 65 dB. That could be useful.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I read your other thread and saw your photos. I thought the foam cord is intended to be put in the gap between the roof and the windshield? Is that not where it's supposed to go?
It is. But to be clear, that gap is deep AND the gap continues down toward the windshield as well (you cannot just lay something down in the gap - it will slide down toward the the front of the car and disappear beneath the windshield).

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I definitely have some wind noise, but cannot tell how much, if any of the wind noise is from the pano roof. Inspired by @JSW, I ordered 15' of this 1298N3 1/4" cord (McMasterCarr) to give it a try to see if I can hear any difference. My wind noise is pronounced, but not terribly loud or disturbing.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.31.14 PM

Would have preferred this "better" one, but the low temp rating is not low enough (although not sure what actually happens if it gets much colder than 0F):
The sound is only created by the windshield/roof interface.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
That makes sense, but here is another seal down the outside of the trip strip adjacent to the side of the pano roof, that is not right in places on my driver's side (post #71 with a picture): https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/roof-wind-noise-fixed.4100/page-5
I think you only want to know if this creates a problem, and my opinion is no, but it is hard to tell from the photo. In general, I think the part you see is cosmetic, and any part doing work, like sealing out air and water, is not visible. Seals do their best work in the dark, lol.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think you only want to know if this creates a problem, and my opinion is no, but it is hard to tell from the photo. In general, I think the part you see is cosmetic, and any part doing work, like sealing out air and water, is not visible. Seals do their best work in the dark, lol.
There is a relatively large open channel under that seal part, maybe later I can take some better pics. Not too concerned if it is only cosmetic.

If the front pano foam core does not solve my wind noise, I'm thinking it might be related to a door seal, possibly around the door frame, have not looked too closely yet.

I take it that channels perpendicular to the wind stream are more suspect than longitudinal channels in the direction of primary flow?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I had an online chat with Ford customer service today to register my complaint that there is excessive wind noise where the windshield meets the glass roof. She also suggested I notify my dealer, which I will do. Hopefully, that will result in a quicker solution from Ford.
Just curious - How were you able to do online chat - I see chat section on all the browsers but no way to initiate a chat. I had to be on a phone call with them (and wait for a while) to report this after also reporting to my dealer.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
We might see some folks happy with 75 dB, and others unhappy with 65 dB. That could be useful.
The question is what were Ford expectations? what are benchmarks they were trying to meet? We don't know. All my ICE cars have wind noise and in general it was a smaller issue than overall vehicle noise . I used to have an Edge - and my comparison is that the Edge used to have much lower wind noise on the same roads than MME. My issue with wind noise is also that it it exists around 35 mph and increases and I am driving on local surface streets at those speeds (30-55) and its noticeable. If it only existed at 70 or above mph I would not have even considered that to be an issue as I expect to be driving on open highways and expect some wind noise. As you say it is a personal tolerance level.
Sponsored