Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Having not received an OTA update since October and being stuck on 3.5.4, despite being in the Early Access Program, I broke down and called the Connected Services Department. 833-389-0848.

The rep agreed this was odd. First, she checked on her end and confirmed that I hadn’t received an update since October, and no failed updates since.

Next, she had me confirm I had automatic updates enabled and an update schedule set. She also made sure this wasn’t set for midnight, which can cause problems.

Finally, she asked about four “preconditions” to help receive updates:
1. Drive car at least 30mins each day to help ensure the 12v battery has adequate charge.
2. Plug the car in at night to keep it charged up.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Turn Off the headlights (not automatic mode).

I had never heard of Items 3 or 4 before, and it frankly sounds pretty damned silly, but she gave me a case number and asked me to try this for 7-10 business days to see if it helps.
I’ve not done #1-4, yet have received all updates through 3.6.2. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Finally, she asked about four “preconditions” to help receive updates:
1. Drive car at least 30mins each day to help ensure the 12v battery has adequate charge.
2. Plug the car in at night to keep it charged up.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Turn Off the headlights (not automatic mode).
These tips would only apply while an update is trying to install. They won't help you if you don't have any updates queued up. There's nothing we can do to make an update show up if the server isn't currently offering one. Here's my thoughts:
  1. Driving for 30+ min will only help if your update already tried and failed due to low 12V battery
  2. The car will update just fine while unplugged. Actually you want to be unplugged for 3.6.2.
  3. Parking brake isn't required, people seem to get the updates just fine without using it
  4. Turning off headlights is only necessary if the headlight bug is keeping them on while parked
Good luck with support, they will probably say you need to wait for updates to be released for your vehicle or see your dealer. Likely not very helpful. There are bigger issues as work here preventing people from getting updates, nothing on your end.

Last edited:

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
These tips would only apply while an update is trying to install. They won't help you if you don't have any updates queued up. There's nothing we can do to make an update show up if the server isn't currently offering one. Here's my thoughts:
  1. Driving for 30+ min will only help if your update already tried and failed due to low 12V battery
  2. The car will update just fine while unplugged. Actually you want to be unplugged for 3.6.2.
  3. Parking brake isn't required, people seem to get the updates just fine without using it
  4. Turning off headlights is only necessary if the headlight bug is keeping them on while parked
Good luck with support, they will probably say you need to wait for updates to be released for your vehicle or see your dealer. Likely not very helpful. There are bigger issues as work here preventing people from getting updates, nothing on your end.
I will say that I've NEVER done #3 and #4, and I get all my updates. Re: #1 - there is something to it perhaps - I have never gotten more than one update between driving events of more than 30 mins... I've adopted the tactic of taking the car our for a drive if I'm anticipating an update and the car has been sitting in the garage for several days, and it has seemed to trigger the next update to come down the following day.

Last edited:

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Sadly, I think you must be right. If an update isn’t queued on Ford’s end, it doesn’t matter what I do on my end.

A little annoying that the Ford rep put me through all those hoops when she acknowledged I don’t have a failed update.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Sadly, I think you must be right. If an update isn’t queued on Ford’s end, it doesn’t matter what I do on my end.

A little annoying that the Ford rep put me through all those hoops when she acknowledged I don’t have a failed update.
The "hoops for nothing" seems to be a recurring issue with them...

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
My update times are between 12.00 midnight and 4.00 in the morning. (When the car is plugged in due to cheaper electricity rate during those times). Anyone know why setting midnight for an update would cause problems?

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The "hoops for nothing" seems to be a recurring issue with them...
I called back. They said I should take the car into the service center to see why I wasn't getting updates. I explained that the issue is with Ford not pushing the updates to me - not my car. She responded "but the service center can install the updates for you." Which is true. Doesn't fix the OTA trainwreck, but it does get my car updated... on January 23 the first available service date. Whatever. So annoyed but tired of being annoyed. Back to the service center, and if by some miracle I get the updates before then, great - but it seems my VIN has fallen into some sort of OTA black hole. So much for "Early Access."

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Guide to Understanding OTA Updates 1673562462328

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I called back. They said I should take the car into the service center to see why I wasn't getting updates. I explained that the issue is with Ford not pushing the updates to me - not my car. She responded "but the service center can install the updates for you." Which is true. Doesn't fix the OTA trainwreck, but it does get my car updated... on January 23 the first available service date. Whatever. So annoyed but tired of being annoyed. Back to the service center, and if by some miracle I get the updates before then, great - but it seems my VIN has fallen into some sort of OTA black hole. So much for "Early Access."
Except when the updates doesn't show up in FDRS, then the dealer can't do them either. Hopefully you don't fall in that category.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Guide to Understanding OTA Updates 1673562462328
gonna be fun explaining to them what they need to do and what updates you need, cause there's no TSB for "just update it in FDRS to whatever is newest"

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah crap.
gonna be fun explaining to them what they need to do and what updates you need, cause there's no TSB for "just update it in FDRS to whatever is newest"
I have something better than a TSB. I have an open case number with notes directing me to go to the dealership to get those updates.

Unfortunately for me, 4.1.2 isn’t in FDRS for me.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Ah crap.

I have something better than a TSB. I have an open case number with notes directing me to go to the dealership to get those updates.

I mean we’re talking about a dealership here, I hope it goes well. But I have a hard time being optimistic with these visits cause sometimes it’s like just blank stares.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I mean we’re talking about a dealership here, I hope it goes well. But I have a hard time being optimistic with these visits cause sometimes it’s like just blank stares.
My dealer has applied all the updates in FDRS at no charge to be both times I asked them to do it. It is a shame not everyone has access to a good dealer, but they are out there.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Ah crap.

Might be now, rolling out!

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Next Month Ill have owned my Mach e for a year.
Where are these so called updates ?
Ive had one in the year Ive owned it.
I have automatic OTA updates set but yet never get any
Frustrating to see posts about people getting updates regularly yet here I sit waiting ?
Am i doing something wrong?
Should I take it to the dealer (first time since I've taken delivery) and ask for updates to be loaded ?
Sponsored