likescookies

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2004 Camry
Country flag
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but I did not receive any updates for about a year on my 21 FE Job 1. I recently took the car in for a couple of CSP/Recalls, and the updates appear to be unstuck. I got Bluecruise last night, tried it out today....works well.

My history:
2.6.0 2/18/22
2.7.1 2/20/22
21P22 (SW calibration/charge curve @ dealer) 3/10/22
~no OTAs for long time
22S41 (BECM update/HVBJB @ dealer) 2/22/23
22B28 (Reprogram HVAC @ dealer) 2/22/23
2.7.3 3/2/23
2.7.4 3/9/23
2.8.1 3/20/23
(no listed number, 22-PU0727-VI-FXB)(Bluecruise) 3/23/23

My belief is that either 22S41 or 22B28 got my OTAs unstuck, and I hope they continue.
I've had the HVBJB update done, but I'm still stuck at over a year without updates or BlueCruise. Haven't had HVAC, yet, though, so maybe that is part of it. Just a data point.
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Received the BC activation update on Monday, received the next update today. One thing about not getting OTA for 9 months I get to binge watch them come in now (thanks to a Ford engineer calling the dealer and getting their act together on the most recent service Friday.)

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
Anyone had success connecting MME to home WIFI and getting updates faster? Help screen suggests this.

I've connected, but the connection seems to drop when the car shuts down. Looks like one opinion is that you don't download updates except when car is on, which sorta fails to cooperate with the help screen suggestion.

I have not waited a year like some of you all on this thread, but I'd still like to find a way to initiate the updates. I'm still on 3.5.2 and I'm hoping updates fix issues with Bluetooth connection drops.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone had success connecting MME to home WIFI and getting updates faster? Help screen suggests this.

I've connected, but the connection seems to drop when the car shuts down. Looks like one opinion is that you don't download updates except when car is on, which sorta fails to cooperate with the help screen suggestion.

I have not waited a year like some of you all on this thread, but I'd still like to find a way to initiate the updates. I'm still on 3.5.2 and I'm hoping updates fix issues with Bluetooth connection drops.
Although I have my home WiFi connected, since June 2022, I think ALL of my OTA updates arrived while I was out driving. Then, a few of them waited till overnight to install, if needed. If many on the forum are getting a new update, I make it a point to take a drive every day, which usually works!

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
OTAs have been, and still are, a source of frustration. The latest Power Up OTA occurred at 9:04 a.m. yesterday, even though I scheduled updates at 4:00 a.m. every day of the week. I just finished speaking to a helpful Ford service representative in the software update area who explained that Power Up software can't be downloaded while the vehicle is charging. I explained that the software scheduling system did not provide any such qualification message to help me understand how the system worked.

Also, a couple of months ago, I was told that Ford will issue non-critical updates at any time irrespective of scheduling windows. I explained that policy is faulty and creates user confusion.

Hope this information helps.

Basically Ford is flipping us off, stating through their actions that they can issue software updates whenever they want and, they fail to know how to provide helpful information to customers. To me, Ford's operations indicate it is a mature vehicle manufacturer but it's customer understanding is infantile. I conclude this is an artifact of a company full of engineers and accountants, which thinks like engineers and accountants - not a company that knows how to communicate to customers. As I've stated previously I refuse to recommend any Ford EV until it corrects these customer-facing flaws.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
OTAs have been, and still are, a source of frustration. The latest Power Up OTA occurred at 9:04 a.m. yesterday, even though I scheduled updates at 4:00 a.m. every day of the week. I just finished speaking to a helpful Ford service representative in the software update area who explained that Power Up software can't be downloaded while the vehicle is charging. I explained that the software scheduling system did not provide any such qualification message to help me understand how the system worked.

Also, a couple of months ago, I was told that Ford will issue non-critical updates at any time irrespective of scheduling windows. I explained that policy is faulty and creates user confusion.

Hope this information helps.

Basically Ford is flipping us off, stating through their actions that they can issue software updates whenever they want and, they fail to know how to provide helpful information to customers. To me, Ford's operations indicate it is a mature vehicle manufacturer but it's customer understanding is infantile. I conclude this is an artifact of a company full of engineers and accountants, which thinks like engineers and accountants - not a company that knows how to communicate to customers. As I've stated previously I refuse to recommend any Ford EV until it corrects these customer-facing flaws.
Software updates are checked for and downloaded only when you drive the vehicle. Therefore a parked vehicle will not receive OTA updates. The time you schedule is only used to apply inhibit type updates when you aren’t using the vehicle, 90% of updates install right after you turn off the vehicle after driving.

So if you want your OTAs promptly you have to drive the car daily in an AT&T coverage area.

Updates are typically released in the afternoon, so I usually see the car download the update while I’m driving home in the evening and then it applies it shortly after I park in my garage (notification about 15 minutes after I get home). I have my update time set to 2AM but have never had it check or apply one then.

Last edited:

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Software updates are checked for and downloaded only when you drive the vehicle. Therefore a parked vehicle will not receive OTA updates. The time you schedule is only used to apply inhibit type updates when you aren’t using the vehicle, 90% of updates install right after you turn off the vehicle after driving.

So if you want your OTAs promptly you have to drive the car daily in an AT&T coverage area.

Updates are typically released in the afternoon, so I usually see the car download the update while I’m driving home in the evening and then it applies it shortly after I park in my garage (notification about 15 minutes after I get home). I have my update time set to 2AM but have never had it check or apply one then.
I just spoke to a service representative.. In brief:
First, Inhibit updates prevent the vehicle from operating, therefore the vehicle must NOT be operational. It does not even need to be turned on to receive these updates. The vehicle will be operational after the update completes. These can occur during the software update time frame.

Second, all other OTAs can occur during scheduled times or outside of scheduled times, because they are not inhibit-type updates. The vehicle can be in operation or not. She viewed my vehicle's update log, which shows my vehicle has received updates consistently since I've owned it.

Third, AT&T is the provider for wifi hotspots w/in the vehicle. An AT&T wifi hotspot is used to provide wifi connections for cellular phones, tablets, etc., they are not used to distribute updates. This should not be confused with OTAs being received through a home/office Wifi network to which the vehicle is connected.

Not trying to criticize you Mach-Lee, just sharing what the Ford rep provided. You usually provide great information and insight for which I've been appreciative.

All the best.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I just spoke to a service representative.. In brief:
First, Inhibit updates prevent the vehicle from operating, therefore the vehicle must NOT be operational. It does not even need to be turned on to receive these updates. The vehicle will be operational after the update completes. These can occur during the software update time frame.

Second, all other OTAs can occur during scheduled times or outside of scheduled times, because they are not inhibit-type updates. The vehicle can be in operation or not. She viewed my vehicle's update log, which shows my vehicle has received updates consistently since I've owned it.

Third, AT&T is the provider for wifi hotspots w/in the vehicle. An AT&T wifi hotspot is used to provide wifi connections for cellular phones, tablets, etc., they are not used to distribute updates. This should not be confused with OTAs being received through a home/office Wifi network to which the vehicle is connected.

Not trying to criticize you Mach-Lee, just sharing what the Ford rep provided. You usually provide great information and insight for which I've been appreciative.

All the best.
As someone who has monitored the OTAs logs carefully, I can tell you that’s not 100% correct. If you called the software update team at the 800 number, they don’t have a very good track record of giving accurate info FYI.

Inhibit updates are generally downloaded while the car is on, but can be applied immediately (user starts it) or automatically at the scheduled time. Non-inhibit updates can be started by the user after downloading, or will automatically apply the next time the car is parked.

Updates do download while the car is in use, but should be applied after the vehicle had parked. I don’t think it will let you apply updates unless you’re in park.

OTAs absolutely do download over AT&T. I’ve seen it happen in the logs while I’m driving (based on exact times). For example, it took 4.2.2 about 25 minutes to download while I was driving home (a 6 GB update), started installing about two minutes after I parked the car, and finished about 10 minutes later. I know the exact times I left work and when I opened my garage door.

I’ve had my Mach-E connected to WiFi in my garage (works cause I watch YT on the sceen) but have never seen it download an OTA that way. Others have observed the same. All of mine have come over cellular. I don’t think it uses WiFi unless you have no service.

The ladies at the 800 number can look at the logs, but they are not trained very well, and may have interpreted the information they were given incorrectly (or it was just plain wrong). They don’t know any better.

They’re still incorrectly telling people they need to charge to 80% to get OTAs, but it’s really that the 12V battery that has to be at 80% SoC, and sometimes even higher (like 95% for 3.6.2). They don’t know the difference between the high voltage battery and the 12V battery.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
As someone who has monitored the OTAs logs carefully, I can tell you that’s not 100% correct. If you called the software update team at the 800 number, they don’t have a very good track record of giving accurate info FYI.

Inhibit updates are generally downloaded while the car is on, but can be applied immediately (user starts it) or automatically at the scheduled time. Non-inhibit updates can be started by the user after downloading, or will automatically apply the next time the car is parked.

Updates do download while the car is in use, but should be applied after the vehicle had parked. I don’t think it will let you apply updates unless you’re in park.

OTAs absolutely do download over AT&T. I’ve seen it happen in the logs while I’m driving (based on exact times). For example, it took 4.2.2 about 25 minutes to download while I was driving home (a 6 GB update), started installing about two minutes after I parked the car, and finished about 10 minutes later. I know the exact times I left work and when I opened my garage door.

I’ve had my Mach-E connected to WiFi in my garage (works cause I watch YT on the sceen) but have never seen it download an OTA that way. Others have observed the same. All of mine have come over cellular. I don’t think it uses WiFi unless you have no service.

The ladies at the 800 number can look at the logs, but they are not trained very well, and may have interpreted the information they were given incorrectly (or it was just plain wrong). They don’t know any better.

They’re still incorrectly telling people they need to charge to 80% to get OTAs, but it’s really that the 12V battery that has to be at 80% SoC, and sometimes even higher (like 95% for 3.6.2). They don’t know the difference between the high voltage battery and the 12V battery.
"...OTAs absolutely do download over AT&T."
Over an AT&T wifi hotspot? or just over AT&T home/office wifi or LTE signal? These are very different things. The rep I spoke with specified the hotspot.

Would a Ford rep please provide authoritative information on this site?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
"...OTAs absolutely do download over AT&T."
Over an AT&T wifi hotspot? or just over AT&T home/office wifi or LTE signal? These are very different things. The rep I spoke with specified the hotspot.

Would a Ford rep please provide authoritative information on this site?
They download over the built-in AT&T FordPass Connect modem. The hotspot is a sub feature of that (TCU) module. When you drive the car it talks to the mothership with the LTE modem and then downloads any pending updates. You do not have to have the hotspot active, that’s only for customer devices. The LTE backend to Ford is always active unless you switch off vehicle connectivity.

The TCU is basically like a cell phone that you can turn the hotspot feature on and off. The backend between the network and the phone is always active regardless of the hotspot setting.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
They download over the built-in AT&T FordPass Connect modem. The hotspot is a sub feature of that (TCU) module. When you drive the car it talks to the mothership with the LTE modem and then downloads any pending updates. You do not have to have the hotspot active, that’s only for customer devices. The LTE backend to Ford is always active unless you switch off vehicle connectivity.

The TCU is basically like a cell phone that you can turn the hotspot feature on and off. The backend between the network and the phone is always active regardless of the hotspot setting.
Thanks.
Updates also have to be deployed to the vehicle through my home wifi because where we live the AT&T signal is virtually non-existent. No AT&T towers close enough.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Thanks.
Updates also have to be deployed to the vehicle through my home wifi because where we live the AT&T signal is virtually non-existent. No AT&T towers close enough.
You never drive your vehicle in an area with AT&T service? OTAs download while driving, not while parked.

No offense, @Mach-Lee has an insane wealth of knowledge about everything MME. I'm not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel lol.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
You never drive your vehicle in an area with AT&T service? OTAs download while driving, not while parked.

No offense, @Mach-Lee has an insane wealth of knowledge about everything MME. I'm not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel lol.
Now I'll be a bit defensive...because only Ford employees work inside Ford's systems departments. We are not Ford employees. I'll take their statements as authoritative, until EVIDENCE exists against. And your statement is not correct. OTAs download both while driving and while parked, particularly when parked at my home and connected to my home wifi network. Inhibit type updates do not install while the vehicle is driving, hence the term "inhibit" because the update inhibits the vehicle.
We do drive into town occasionally, so the Mach-E probably connects to AT&T during that time. However, I have no way to monitor this.
I am encouraged that PowerUp Software release notes states that Ford has added a way to record feedback direct to Ford. I have a laundry list of items!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Now I'll be a bit defensive...because only Ford employees work inside Ford's systems departments. We are not Ford employees. I'll take their statements as authoritative, until EVIDENCE exists against. And your statement is not correct. OTAs download both while driving and while parked, particularly when parked at my home and connected to my home wifi network. Inhibit type updates do not install while the vehicle is driving, hence the term "inhibit" because the update inhibits the vehicle.
We do drive into town occasionally, so the Mach-E probably connects to AT&T during that time. However, I have no way to monitor this.
I am encouraged that PowerUp Software release notes states that Ford has added a way to record feedback direct to Ford. I have a laundry list of items!
Ok.... I'm just telling you you're starting from zero when you don't have to. You're free to do whatever you want, no bother to me, just pointless to read anything on here or debate others if you'll only believe stuff that comes straight from a Ford rep. That's literally the point of the forum, to talk about issues, post solutions, get insider info from Ford people that probably shouldn't tell you stuf, etc. Not to just come on and say Johnny from the 800 number told me you're all wrong, he's worked there for 2 months and says the 3 years of data you guys have on how OTAs work is completely wrong.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Ok.... I'm just telling you you're starting from zero when you don't have to. You're free to do whatever you want, no bother to me, just pointless to read anything on here or debate others if you'll only believe stuff that comes straight from a Ford rep. That's literally the point of the forum, to talk about issues, post solutions, get insider info from Ford people that probably shouldn't tell you stuf, etc. Not to just come on and say Johnny from the 800 number told me you're all wrong, he's worked there for 2 months and says the 3 years of data you guys have on how OTAs work is completely wrong.
I understand your perspective, just disagree with your conclusions. I respect everyone's experience and their willingness to share that with others. However, belief is not the point. Evidence is the point. I've actually helped set up call center infrastructure and seen the effort and level of development by subject matter experts to produce knowledge items which help representatives use - not at Ford, admittedly. However, based on my experience I conclude - not believe - the representatives are using information provided by Ford to help owners.

I'll stop responding to this thread.
Sponsored