Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Yeah that's what I was saying and what I'd expect but that letter from Ford really makes it seem like it's not, in order to prioritize heating the cabin. I think Ford has a real communication problem between its engineers and its PR/communications department.
@Frankie yes indeed, they are all leaning at the same time, I like to compare with building the plane while in the air.
Sponsored

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Here is my advice, you can precondition on demand with some cavities.

From what I have seen preconditioning takes about a half hour. If I add a departure time that is at least a half hour out it seems to work the same as if I have a schedule.

Preconditioning vs remote start both will warm the battery but using remote start uses battery power to do so. Also preconditioning has the battery up to temp at the time you set for maximum efficiency.

I have read preconditioning only works on L2 charging.

OP
OP
JackMach-DET

JackMach-DET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
I guess I've been operating under the false assumption that remote starting the car while it is plugged in to an L2 charger would precondition the battery as well.
I've had my Mach-e since July and assumed the entire time that remote start preconditioned while plugged in. Oh well, glad I finally joined the forum.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
I've had my Mach-e since July and assumed the entire time that remote start preconditioned while plugged in. Oh well, glad I finally joined the forum.
See how crazy this topic is, you read so many post that contradict each other. There are many posts that folks have proven that when Plugged in, It will always pull from the plug: remote start OR departure times.

See link:
(3) MME Owners: Help me understand Charging Times, Locations, Departures with these 2 examples | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I started the car in the garage this morning from the app and can see that it's drawing power from the charger. Maybe it's doing the best it can?

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
I started the car in the garage this morning from the app and can see that it's drawing power from the charger. Maybe it's doing the best it can?
@silverelan exactly, just remember remote start only works in 15 minute windows for 2 times, you can extend that AND it does cabin and battery at the same time. If departure set, it will do just the battery for as long as it has to and then worry about the cabin at the end. All of this will happen from the plug in power.

OP
OP
JackMach-DET

JackMach-DET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
See how crazy this topic is, you read so many post that contradict each other. There are many posts that folks have proven that when Plugged in, It will always pull from the plug: remote start OR departure times.

See link:
(3) MME Owners: Help me understand Charging Times, Locations, Departures with these 2 examples | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions
Yeah, @Ford Motor Company should respond by eliminating any room for confusion/debate in their next software update. Overall, the car has been great, but sometimes feels like you need to be an engineer to understand where to begin. The software, in my mind, should be used to remove those obstacles for the average consumer. Thanks for all the info!

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Ford recommends preconditioning yet fails to offer an on-demand ability to precondition the vehicle. It's a shortcoming for the time being. If I could even let the car know 15 minutes ahead of departure time thru the app, that'd at least be something.
I drove an i3 for 5 years and always had the same complaint about their app. Pre-conditioning could only be scheduled, not done on-demand. While it might take an hour and a half to fully pre-condition the battery, even 15 minutes of pre-conditioning helps in the dead of winter. But Ford seems have have the same view of consumers as BMW - if you don't schedule it in advance, you can't pre-condition.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
@silverelan exactly, just remember remote start only works in 15 minute windows for 2 times, you can extend that AND it does cabin and battery at the same time. If departure set, it will do just the battery for as long as it has to and then worry about the cabin at the end. All of this will happen from the plug in power.
Here is my advice, you can precondition on demand with some cavities.

From what I have seen preconditioning takes about a half hour. If I add a departure time that is at least a half hour out it seems to work the same as if I have a schedule.

Preconditioning vs remote start both will warm the battery but using remote start uses battery power to do so. Also preconditioning has the battery up to temp at the time you set for maximum efficiency.

I have read preconditioning only works on L2 charging.
Both of these posts say remote start conditions the battery, but there are so many other posts in different threads that clearly state that it doesn't. So I'm confused, but if I go with the numbers of posts saying remote only heats the cabin, my sense is that's probably the case.

Here are few recent threads:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-versus-pre-conditioning.12940/
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-preconditioning.11954/

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I’m still on 3.6.1. Anyone with a 4.x have this update in it? I’m guessing no…

especially on weekends I would love this option.

edit: and the alert on the app when setting a departure time where only cabin preconditioning makes me wonder about the batteries.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Advice: Preconditioning 70F63E4D-B1B8-4265-8925-6EE4ED587FA7

Last edited:

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
I taken the approach that I precondition everyday when ever it's plugged in. I've set departure times that are early in the morning on week days, and few hours later on weekends. I've set the cabin temp to off during these departure times. Mine is in a garage, and it's quick to heat the cabin.

This will give the battery a quick warm up and nothing else. I've read that it takes the battery in the winter about a degree and hour drop when outside in the cold.

So, now I don't worry about "Pre-Conditioning" at all, totally removed from the equation.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I taken the approach that I precondition everyday when ever it's plugged in. I've set departure times that are early in the morning on week days, and few hours later on weekends. I've set the cabin temp to off during these departure times. Mine is in a garage, and it's quick to heat the cabin.

This will give the battery a quick warm up and nothing else. I've read that it takes the battery in the winter about a degree and hour drop when outside in the cold.

So, now I don't worry about "Pre-Conditioning" at all, totally removed from the equation.
Unless you need the extra range afforded by preconditioning on your daily commute, what your doing is wasting electricity.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
If you have a DCFC within about 30 miles of your home, you might consider setting it as your destination in the car 15-20 minutes before you leave. It seems that some of our cars have DCFC pre-conditioning of the battery that kicks in about 30 miles before arriving at a DCFC, if we ask Ford to navigate to the charger. So this morning I hopped in the car and asked it to navigate me to the nearest DCFC, then let it sit for about 20 minutes.

See the following thread:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-pre-conditioning-some-data.25598/

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Unless you need the extra range afforded by preconditioning on your daily commute, what your doing is wasting electricity.

Just my opinion.
Yep, all $.13

Ford Mustang Mach-E Advice: Preconditioning 20230129_172518000_iOS

Last edited:

OcSteve39

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Our 23 GT Performance has been with us since Aug. 5th.
Never understood or misunderstood the concept of pre-conditioning be it cabin, battery or both.
Tried the novel concept of actually setting a departure time in which it began (82 degrees) 15 minutes beforehand, and for the first time since ownership, after driving around the block and back again on highway (less than three miles) I didn't lose three percent in SOC. I lost 0%, in unbridle.

Now I get it. Hey, FOMOCO, on demand battery conditioning button please!
Sponsored