After software upgrade, problem with unlocking the driver's door

LeeLeeMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
Am at my wit's end. Pre-upgrade, I would approach my car and the button would light up and I could press it to open it--no need to press the unlock on the fob or my phone. Just had an upgrade and now when I approach my car, it only sometimes recognizes the fob and/or the PAAK, and when it does, the button doesn't light up and I can't open the driver's door, but I can open the driver's side back door even when it's not lit up. I've looked all through the manual and searched this forum with no luck. Please advise!!! (I can open the driver's door with the fob and with the PAAK though).
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Reboot SYNC and your phone after force quitting the app. Check your settings in SYNC, some may have changed after updating. Issues like these can sometimes occur in the day or so after an update, but usually resolve.

IIRC the button only lights up if you have welcome lighting enabled, check that setting.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There seems to be an issue with the door modules getting into a state wherein they don't properly wake up. In the spring I had it happen with the rear hatch and driver's side rear door but oddly one of the OTA's reset something and they started working again. Over the summer the passenger side front and rear doors started exhibiting the same behavior.

In my case if I hit the unlock button on the fob (or open one of the driver's side doors) then I can open the passenger side doors. I believe one way to force a reset is to disconnect the 12V, but that's a ridiculous solution.

@Ford Motor Company there needs to be a way to report stuff like this that doesn't go into a black hole.

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had that happen just a few days ago and because I am so new to the car, I didn't realize until reading this that it was a bug. When the car didn't kind of light up as I approached it and the driver's door didn't open but the left side passenger's door button worked and then the driver's door worked, I just shrugged it all off. Ignorance is bliss.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
There seems to be an issue with the door modules getting into a state wherein they don't properly wake up. In the spring I had it happen with the rear hatch and driver's side rear door but oddly one of the OTA's reset something and they started working again. Over the summer the passenger side front and rear doors started exhibiting the same behavior.

In my case if I hit the unlock button on the fob (or open one of the driver's side doors) then I can open the passenger side doors. I believe one way to force a reset is to disconnect the 12V, but that's a ridiculous solution.

@Ford Motor Company there needs to be a way to report stuff like this that doesn't go into a black hole.
Hi Tim. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
How many times to you press the button? I've found that if you don't hit it at least about 1000 times the door will not open.

OP
OP

LeeLeeMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
Greatly appreciate all the ideas. Rebooted FordPass and SYNC. Checked and welcome lighting is enabled. Tried various combinations of settings in the Locks menu to no avail. Did notice in one manual section something called Intelligent Access System. A search of the manual turns up nothing on this, but it sounds like what I am having a problem with. A Ford support web page says it may be that the key fob battery is low or dead. Will report back if battery replacement fixes the issue.

Update: a new battery in the fob changed nothing. Did determine that although the taillights and button lights no longer light up in the presence of the fob or the PAAK, the presence of the fob or the PAAK do allow me to unlock either rear door (but neither front door) without pushing any "unlock" buttons. This feature was working fine before my last software upgrade, so it seems like the upgrade miscoded this feature for the back doors instead of the front doors...

Last edited:

mattmarox

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My car started this behavior yesterday. Does anyone have a solution, or should I wait for a software update to fix it?

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a job 1 2021 car so experienced about every issue you can have. I used to only be able to open the front door by opening the back door first. here is what fixed that I accessed the 12 volt battery and disconnected the positive post for a min reconnected it and that fixed it. It's easy to remove the panels in the frunk and takes if I recall a #10 metric wrench to remove the screw. Took less than 10 mins to do it and it fixed the problem.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My car started this behavior yesterday. Does anyone have a solution, or should I wait for a software update to fix it?
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Mach-E concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

mattmarox

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Mach-E concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Vin is 3FMTK3SU1MMA28882 delivered 6/2021
Dealer is Parks Ford of Gainesville Florida

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
My car started this behavior a couple weeks ago and I just found this thread. I just sent @Ford Motor Company a DM to see if they can help me.

mattmarox

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My car started this behavior a couple weeks ago and I just found this thread. I just sent @Ford Motor Company a DM to see if they can help me.
Ford replied to me via email to take it to the dealer. I have an appointment later this month. I hope it fixes itself somehow before then. Haven’t had an OTA since mid November.
Sponsored