All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on!

Gonzotiki_666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium ER
Country flag
That’s it really. It’s such a huge PITA to keep enabling the function that I think I’m going to keep my other car until they fix it (had my peepers set on a GT). We’ve tried all the tricks in the ‘21 Premium XR and we’re all super annoyed that we have to keep toggling up the climate control every three minutes to avoid huffing diesel fumes.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
That’s it really. It’s such a huge PITA to keep enabling the function that I think I’m going to keep my other car until they fix it (had my peepers set on a GT). We’ve tried all the tricks in the ‘21 Premium XR and we’re all super annoyed that we have to keep toggling up the climate control every three minutes to avoid huffing diesel fumes.
That's not a bug, it's a safety feature. There's nothing to 'fix'.

Ford Mustang Mach-E All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on! 1640213450223

Ford Mustang Mach-E All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on! 1640213565988

Ford Mustang Mach-E All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on! 1640213521729

Try a different air filter.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/recycle-mode-air-conditioning-system.12609/post-307693

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Agreed. I’m waiting on a lot of updates to the software but this one is a serious QOL issue. More annoying than frunk opening (I’ve adapted) and potentially worse than the charging logic complaints which I’ve developed my own work-arounds for. I don’t have a work around for having to turn recirculating back on all-the-damn-time.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Curious why you guys prefer to keep the recirc on 24/7? I personally prefer fresh air 99% of the time. Not sure why you'd want the same stale air going around in the car. Only time I flip it on is in the fairly rare occasion there's some nasty smelling vehicle near me.

It's their Enhanced Windshield Anti Fogging Strategy (EWAFS). It's a feature and working as intended for heating/cooling efficiency and keeping the windows from fogging up as a safety feature.

Per TSB:
Some 2020-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles are equipped with an anti-fogging feature known as enhanced windshield anti fogging strategy (EWAFS). This feature automatically adjusts airflow in the cabin to prevent the windshield from fogging up and may be perceived by customers as irregular climate control functionality. To reduce fogging, the EWAFS functions include: the air condition (A/C) button may turn on and off automatically, recirculated air may turn off automatically inall air modes except MAX A/C, recirculated air may also turn on and off automatically in various airflow modes in order to improve heating or cooling efficiency, and in auto climate control, high humidity conditions may automatically engage A/C compressor, increase blower motor speed and/or direct more air to windshield. Continue to monitor the Workshop Manual (WSM) for EWAFS updates.

Per WSM:
Air Flow Strategy For Anti Fogging

This vehicle is equipped with an anti fogging feature known as enhanced windshield anti fogging strategy (EWAFS). This feature is based off the input data that is sent from the in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor that is mounted near the center top of the windshield typically under the IPMA cover. The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor is hard wired to the HVAC module and supplies the vehicles humidity and temperature to the HVACmodule. The module uses that data automatically to adjust the airflow in the cabin to prevent the windshield from fogging up. Below are the feature details and climate control operation based on the vehicles climate control system.

Ford Mustang Mach-E All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on! 1640214030817

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
In quiet aside:
“Honestly my HVAC stays on 65° and Auto 1.”

But it seems like if we want recirc we should be able to have it. And then can decide when to hit the defrost if the windows start fogging. But I suppose that’s just me wanting control, like of when to back up beep. ?
But that one guy in Alaska said the heating worked better when it was rewarming air from the cabin, rather than trying to warm -30° outside air. So that was my consideration.

JRinOAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Curious why you guys prefer to keep the recirc on 24/7? I personally prefer fresh air 99% of the time. Not sure why you'd want the same stale air going around in the car. Only time I flip it on is in the fairly rare occasion there's some nasty smelling vehicle near me.
Just got ours Sunday and I've noticed this...I, too, wish it could/would stay on. I prefer recycled air because I'm in a port/warehouse/urban environment with a lot of heavy truck exhaust. Our Benz will time out, but only after many, many minutes. And I can tell - the light goes out. In the MME, there's no apparent indication that the vehicle disabled this setting. Annoyance score of maybe a 4...

OP
OP

Gonzotiki_666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium ER
Country flag
As long as the AC is on, the window shouldn’t fog as one of the functions of AC is to remove moisture. I never had issues with window fogging on my other cars that I could recirculate the air in. I shouldn’t have to breathe exhaust from a 1985 van that I’m stuck behind.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

It's their Enhanced Windshield Anti Fogging Strategy (EWAFS). It's a feature and working as intended for heating/cooling efficiency and keeping the windows from fogging up as a safety feature.

Per TSB:
Some 2020-2021 Ford and Lincoln vehicles are equipped with an anti-fogging feature known as enhanced windshield anti fogging strategy (EWAFS). This feature automatically adjusts airflow in the cabin to prevent the windshield from fogging up and may be perceived by customers as irregular climate control functionality. To reduce fogging, the EWAFS functions include: the air condition (A/C) button may turn on and off automatically, recirculated air may turn off automatically inall air modes except MAX A/C, recirculated air may also turn on and off automatically in various airflow modes in order to improve heating or cooling efficiency, and in auto climate control, high humidity conditions may automatically engage A/C compressor, increase blower motor speed and/or direct more air to windshield. Continue to monitor the Workshop Manual (WSM) for EWAFS updates.

Per WSM:
Air Flow Strategy For Anti Fogging

This vehicle is equipped with an anti fogging feature known as enhanced windshield anti fogging strategy (EWAFS). This feature is based off the input data that is sent from the in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor that is mounted near the center top of the windshield typically under the IPMA cover. The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor is hard wired to the HVAC module and supplies the vehicles humidity and temperature to the HVACmodule. The module uses that data automatically to adjust the airflow in the cabin to prevent the windshield from fogging up. Below are the feature details and climate control operation based on the vehicles climate control system.

1640214030817.png
Simple answer: The air on the freeway, with trucks and old vehicles spewing fumes is anything but "fresh". Same with lines of cars on city streets stopping at every stoplight. Driving through a pine forest on a mountain road - yes fresh outside air is actually aromatic and desirable. Driving in a city, not so much. Even in CARB California, there are areas where brown air still exists - it is called SMOG. Measurements taken near residential areas adjacent to freeways a couple of decades or so ago showed the air quality to be worse than allowable industrial levels. Not all the time, but enough to raise concerns about cancer and asthma issues. Every car I have owned except for FORDS allow me to turn the RECIRC on and leave it on - all the time. The old FORD vacuum actuated climate control system was easy to hack by altering one control hose so that the outside air vent gate remained closed. Drove on many long trips with my family with that vent door closed. Never a problem. In SoCal, I have only experienced fogged windows 2 or 3 times in the last decade - in any car. When window was fogged, I hit the defrost button after starting and a few seconds later, all clear. This great EWAFS system is probably important during cold seasons in cold parts of the country. Why not give me the option of controlling my driving environment rather than distracting me every few minutes?

Last edited:

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Simple answer: The air on the freeway, with trucks and old vehicles spewing fumes is anything but "fresh". Same with lines of cars on city streets stopping at every stoplight. Driving through a pine forest on a mountain road - yes fresh outside air is actually aromatic and desirable. Driving in a city, not so much. Even in CARB California, there are areas where brown air still exists - it is called SMOG. Measurements taken near residential areas adjacent to freeways a couple of decades or so ago showed the air quality to be worse than allowable industrial levels. Not all the time, but enough to raise concerns about cancer and asthma issues. Every car I have owned except for FORDS allow me to turn the RECIRC on and leave it on - all the time. The old FORD vacuum actuated climate control system was easy to hack by altering one control hose so that the outside air vent gate remained closed. Drove on many long trips with my family with that vent door closed. Never a problem. In SoCal, I have only experienced fogged windows 2 or 3 times in the last decade - in any car. When window was fogged, I hit the defrost button after starting and a few seconds later, all clear. This great EWAFS system is probably important during cold seasons in cold parts of the country. Why not give me the option of controlling my driving environment rather than distracting me every few minutes?
I agree, I drive by paper mills in morning and would prefer to keep it on. Plus, i’ve never had a fogging issue with recirc on

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I guess the air here in st Louis Missouri is pretty good because I rarely have to turn it on. I don't sit in traffic a ton though. Even when I did it was rare I needed to turn it on.

Some new vehicles including Fords have an air quality sensor that can automatically turn it on if the air is crappy. I don't think the US MME has it though.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I guess the air here in st Louis Missouri is pretty good because I rarely have to turn it on. I don't sit in traffic a ton though. Even when I did it was rare I needed to turn it on.

Some new vehicles including Fords have an air quality sensor that can automatically turn it on if the air is crappy. I don't think the US MME has it though.
That sensor might help. SoCal is perhaps unique with the coastal mountain range acting like an air dam to keep the smog from the cities along the coast from blowing to the east into the high deserts. The LA smog basin was the birthplace of CARB so many decades ago. So many in California and, later, the entire nation hated the expensive and clunky smog fighting solutions that started in the late 60's, but look where the world is now! Zero Emissions is coming on strong, and for different reasons than air that tasted so bad that children stayed home from school some days because it was unhealthful to breathe!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I shouldn’t have to breathe exhaust from a 1985 van that I’m stuck behind.
Try a different air filter.
What @hybrid2bev said.
Ford Mustang Mach-E All I want for Christmas is for the recirculate function to stay on! 78E8C51E-E3CB-4A97-87D2-66B6193F6C6C

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, @Kamuelaflyer, I did that over a month ago. The filter does improve the incoming air quality. However, the filter is a band-aid, not a fix, and does not result in the same outcome as turning RECIRC on. The fix is a simple software update: If I choose to have RECRC ON, leave it that way! I do appreciate the nanny oversight on things like collision avoidance, object proximity, blind spot warning - those should all be mandatory, not options, IMO. But when it comes to climate control, including the rare potential of interior condensate on the windshield, let me handle it if I choose - there's a defrost button for that - I know because I used it once a few years back. I choose to limit my exposure to airborne carcinogens, for one thing, and to noxious smelling exhaust fumes for another. And, who wrote their algorithm anyway? 53 degrees outside, 65 degrees inside the cabin, and there is a fear of fogging? Where are the engineering studies that show the likelihood of that? Have you, in Hawaii, ever encountered a fogged windshield that couldn't be cleared in a few seconds by the DEFROST button? Of course, in Hawaii, with the trade winds, you possibly encounter highway stench less frequently than I do... Wish I was there!

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yes, @Kamuelaflyer, I did that over a month ago. The filter does improve the incoming air quality. However, the filter is a band-aid, not a fix, and does not result in the same outcome as turning RECIRC on. The fix is a simple software update: If I choose to have RECRC ON, leave it that way! I do appreciate the nanny oversight on things like collision avoidance, object proximity, blind spot warning - those should all be mandatory, not options, IMO. But when it comes to climate control, including the rare potential of interior condensate on the windshield, let me handle it if I choose - there's a defrost button for that - I know because I used it once a few years back. I choose to limit my exposure to airborne carcinogens, for one thing, and to noxious smelling exhaust fumes for another. And, who wrote their algorithm anyway? 53 degrees outside, 65 degrees inside the cabin, and there is a fear of fogging? Where are the engineering studies that show the likelihood of that? Have you, in Hawaii, ever encountered a fogged windshield that couldn't be cleared in a few seconds by the DEFROST button? Of course, in Hawaii, with the trade winds, you possibly encounter highway stench less frequently than I do... Wish I was there!
I quite understand.

Hawaii roads: I live on Hawaii island. No freeways (and hence no BlueCruise). Everything is a surface street. Garbage is hauled from Hilo (The state’s second largest city) to a huge “landfill” on the west side. Stuck behind one of them? Yeah ick. Ditto for the tractor-trailer rigs. It’s an issue of course, but not as bad as elsewhere.

While I understand the desire for full time recirc, perhaps a software switch to make it “automatic” (as it is now) or “manual.” Accompany that with a faster way to get to just the decoy function and perhaps we’d have a viable solution. Or we’d all just have to start remember where tte max defrost switch is. ;)
Sponsored