Ample: has anyone used one of these battery swapping stations with their Mach-e?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm going to guess NO simply because the Mach-E isn't designed to have its battery swapped out.

There is like six zillion bolts that need to be removed from the bottom before you even think about dropping the battery.

If someone did try it their Mach-E would quickly be destroyed...

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Yea, seems like something for fleet use, where you keep a larger inventory of batteries than vehicles and the vehicle needs to be in use all day long.
The downsides of trading into a battery with a lower state of health would not be worth it for a personal vehicle. At least I would never do it. The EV component warranty on the MachE would be instantly voided too.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Yea, seems like something for fleet use, where you keep a larger inventory of batteries than vehicles and the vehicle needs to be in use all day long.
The downsides of trading into a battery with a lower state of health would not be worth it for a personal vehicle. At least I would never do it. The EV component warranty on the MachE would be instantly voided too.
People bring this point up a lot, but if you get a pack with a bum SoH, couldn't you just.... swap it with a pack with a better SoH?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
People bring this point up a lot, but if you get a pack with a bum SoH, couldn't you just.... swap it with a pack with a better SoH?
Yes. With battery swapping, you don't usually own the battery.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Battery swapping requires special connections for electrical wiring and for the coolant lines, that no cars have today. Those all require manual connect/disconnect today. Additionally, as already stated, the battery mount would have to have a completely different setup than the current pattern that uses bolts.

Then there would have to be come special diagnostics to verify the electrical connections and coolant connections are good after the swap. Also think about the wear and tear on the connections that would be occurring daily.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There is a reason that when Formula E cars couldn’t make the race distance that the sanctioning body made teams switch entire cars. It’s much safer. I’m not sold on HV pack swaps for the purpose of refueling. 🤷‍♂️🐩

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
In the US this is not yet a thing, BUT in China the company NIO not only sells a massive number of EVs but all their cars do battery swaps and have been for years (they also can just charge). They have nearly 1500 battery swap stations and the swap process takes a couple of minutes. Battery swapping may eventually be the future. NIO only has a dozen so far in Europe and just opened the first station that is a collaboration with Shell.

NIO battery swap stations

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Remember when Musk did an annual dog and pony show called “Battery Day”? At the 2013 event, he promised to demonstrate swappable battery technology “next year.” Never happened.

I’m not saying this won‘t come to be, but apparently Elon decided that charging a permanent battery was preferable.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I used one of the Ample stations to swap out my battery when I discovered this winter that Ford accidentally installed a standard range battery instead of the extended range battery I paid for.

I sent @Ford Motor Company a message about the mixup, they said that didn’t sound like an experience I should be having, and they asked for my dealership and VIN. Then I was told to take it to Ample and voila. All fixed.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I used one of the Ample stations to swap out my battery when I discovered this winter that Ford accidentally installed a standard range battery instead of the extended range battery I paid for.

I sent @Ford Motor Company a message about the mixup, they said that didn’t sound like an experience I should be having, and they asked for my dealership and VIN. Then I was told to take it to Ample and voila. All fixed.
Could you remotely open the frunk too?

(Check your bingo cards, people.)

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
It only works with cars that have been retrofitted to support it, which is not a small project.

not small = not cheap. I bet I could do a lot (maybe a lifetime) of DCFC for the cost of modifying my car to accept this.

"The main problem" they state is the time to DCFC...not to me. To me, the main problem is the lack of reliable DCFC locations. (Adding Tesla SC to the mix in the next 2 years mostly solves this) ... and like most EV drivers I charge mostly at home.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Battery swapping requires special connections for electrical wiring and for the coolant lines, that no cars have today. Those all require manual connect/disconnect today. Additionally, as already stated, the battery mount would have to have a completely different setup than the current pattern that uses bolts.

Then there would have to be come special diagnostics to verify the electrical connections and coolant connections are good after the swap. Also think about the wear and tear on the connections that would be occurring daily.
Not in USA, but NIO in China and Norway have battery swap stations.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Remember when Musk did an annual dog and pony show called “Battery Day”? At the 2013 event, he promised to demonstrate swappable battery technology “next year.” Never happened.

I’m not saying this won‘t come to be, but apparently Elon decided that charging a permanent battery was preferable.

I'm not sure if your words meant to say what they did? That event had a demonstrated battery swap. Yes, they literally swapped a battery out in front of everyone....for like 4 minutes.

(1) Tesla Model S | Full Battery Swap Event - YouTube
Sponsored