flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
came here to ask why OTA wasn't working but now i see the posts above so instead i'll just say thanks for working on the widget :)
Sponsored

Humphrey

First Name
Humphrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peugeot 3008
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20221104-070917_One UI Home

Hi, I have been using the widget for some time now. I have a rwd Sr MME build somewhere in April 2021. Just recently my dealer did some updates. After that I was able to connect to my wifi and actually exchange data. So my guess was that OTA would also start. However no sign so far. The only thing I found I that sometimes mostly during the night my door gets red in the app. While I'm sure the door is closed. Does anyone have an idea what this means, and what this might cause?

Ps not very confident my dealer knows....

Aulander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
This happens to me too. I think the MME sends its status when is active, i.e. opened, then it goes in sleep mode and periodically refreshes its status. If you look at the last refresh time it is just before locking it, when the door was open. I noticed that when I open FordPass it seems that it forces MME status update.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20221104-070917_One UI Home

Hi, I have been using the widget for some time now. I have a rwd Sr MME build somewhere in April 2021. Just recently my dealer did some updates. After that I was able to connect to my wifi and actually exchange data. So my guess was that OTA would also start. However no sign so far. The only thing I found I that sometimes mostly during the night my door gets red in the app. While I'm sure the door is closed. Does anyone have an idea what this means, and what this might cause?

Ps not very confident my dealer knows....
Don't rely on the widget for OTA info anymore. Ford (unfortunately) changed its API in September and there's no known replacement for it yet.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uploaded version 2022.11.04 to GitHub and Play Store. The main change of interest to most of you (which I'd been meaning to do, but was motivated to finish today) is disabling display of OTA info. It still saves the last info that was downloaded prior to the API changing, but you just can't see it. I'm still hopeful Ford will again expose this part of the API someday.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
The custom apps like the Android widget many of us were (are) using is technically a violation of the same terms and agreement they are using to justify locking our accounts, right? I am afraid to reinstall the widget and risk getting my account locked again.
Yes, it's likely. Anything that makes a request to the API runs the risk of flagging your account. Test it with a dummy account tied to your car, first.
Hi @kennelh
Above quotes are from the thread about Ford locking accounts due to API calls they deem unauthorized as you are aware no doubt. I still have the widget installed but only use manual refresh, does widget use in that scenario pose a risk to FordPass access?
TIA and appreciate the work you did to bring this to us.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi @kennelh
Above quotes are from the thread about Ford locking accounts due to API calls they deem unauthorized as you are aware no doubt. I still have the widget installed but only use manual refresh, does widget use in that scenario pose a risk to FordPass access?
TIA and appreciate the work you did to bring this to us.
It pretty likely does. I use the FP login to get an access token. I've also been locked out before, although Ford wasn't able to tell me fore sure it was the widget or something else like my Recurrent account (which I'd forgotten about and just deleted). I will say that I haven't seen any complaints/1-star reviews on the Play Store of users being locked out.

Same as you, I'm using the manual refresh to minimize accesses.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uploaded version 2022.12.07 to GitHub and Play Store. This version makes some changes to address the unauthorized third party issue. While I'm still working to get "authorized" status, this version does the following:
  • Displays an explanation about the account lockouts, since some users are not aware that's an issue (and although I've not confirmed the app can cause it, it's likely). It also give some suggestions for how to limit your chances of getting locked out
  • Removes the use of stored credentials (i.e, using your username/password to re-login if the token is lost).
  • Extends the minimum refresh frequency to 15 minutes.
  • Add a "hibernation" setting. Enabling this will stop the app from automatically pulling data until some point in the future when either there is a public API or we get approved access from Ford. This basically lets you keep the app on your phone without it doing anything, and hopefully one day it will send you a notice saying "everything's safe again".

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: in the continuing game of whack-a-mole, looks like Ford changed the API again so the app isn't able to get a list of VINs for your account. I advise saving a back-up of your settings for future reference; worst case scenario I can let you use it to restore that info later on.

jab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E select eAWD
Country flag
I have been having trouble with the widget. It hasn't updated in a week even with refreshing so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. But when I reinstalled when I login using my Ford account it says unable to find any vehicles and will update in the next refresh. Then when I go to refresh a notification pop up says I need to log in again to repeat this whole cycle again. I really loved the widget as I use it as a shortcut to remote start my car. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have been having trouble with the widget. It hasn't updated in a week even with refreshing so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. But when I reinstalled when I login using my Ford account it says unable to find any vehicles and will update in the next refresh. Then when I go to refresh a notification pop up says I need to log in again to repeat this whole cycle again. I really loved the widget as I use it as a shortcut to remote start my car. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.
See my previous post about Ford's API change. I'm putting together a step-by-step guide for how to manually insert the necessary info into a JSON file with your settings, so hold on until then.

In the meantime, if anyone using the app gets stuck, do not delete your data or try reinstalling the app. Much of the data is still on your phone and it will be much easier to edit your settings to get back running.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uploaded version 2022.12.26 to GitHub only (Play Store will be updated assuming all goes well here). This version contains new code to work around the recent API change. It's not possible to pull the user profile info anymore, so we're back to entering VINs and nicknames manually. There is a new menu option names "Manage Vehicles" where you can see which vehicles are being monitored and add new vehicles.

I've tried to make this invisible to anyone whose app currently works fine or who got hosed after login again. As long as you didn't wipe the app's data or uninstall/reinstall, it attempts to pick up the prior user/vehicle information and "fix it", but worst case.... just start from scratch.

If I don't hear about any issues arising, I'll push out to the Play Store in a few days.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Uploaded version 2022.12.26 to GitHub only (Play Store will be updated assuming all goes well here). This version contains new code to work around the recent API change. It's not possible to pull the user profile info anymore, so we're back to entering VINs and nicknames manually. There is a new menu option names "Manage Vehicles" where you can see which vehicles are being monitored and add new vehicles.
If you get toast message "The VIN is not valid." when you try to add a vehicle, sideload again from the link above. Someone found a bug in the check logic so I uploaded a revised 2022.12.26 version.
Sponsored