Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2?

MargaritavilleNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT (Aug build week-Oct delivery)
Country flag
I have CrossClimates on my Rav4 hybrid. Fantastic handling dry, wet or snow....but definitely about 10% off on mileage.
Sponsored

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I am looking for a tire that is quiet! The OEM Michelin Primacy A/S's generate a lot of road noise - even accounting for the lack of engine noise. Have you noticed a difference from your OEM's?
I replaced my tires immediately, so I can't say how they compare to those, but they are fairly quiet compared to other tires I have had. I had Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on my Clarity, the CrossClimate2s are more quiet than those tires IMO.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
42psi - 43psi (cold) should be completely fine.

If you do go ahead and try that, myself and many others here would really appreciate a follow-up update on your results!
I increased my tires to 43 PSI, I will try that for a week and see how it goes. They say Max 50 PSI on the tires, so well within range still.

I bought a used dually a while back where they were setup to tow a fifth wheel, with the tire pressure fairly high, and they left the tires at that pressure while they drove it all over. The tread on the rear tires was pretty worn in the middle, but plenty of tread on the sides. I would not expect anything like that at 43 PSI, but if I leave it there I will check the tread wear after a while.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
getting about a 10% range reduction, but worth it to me for the improved handling and lower braking distance. I work from home and I charge to 90% about once a week
Nice! sounds like my situation exactly and expectations from a new tire knowing it will impact range a bit but not minding for what you gain elsewhere. Rapid Red also I see, but that black "grill" nose area is lookin sharp!

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Reporting back after increasing my crossclimate2 tires to 43 psi:

We took a longer drive yesterday to Bellingham, about 232 miles round trip, most freeway. Traffic was fairly light for the most part, so a lot of 65mph and 75 mph. Temperatures were in the 70-80 degree range, some hills but largely more or less flat. I started with a 100% charge, my range said 263 miles. I did a quick charge when we got to Bellingham, we went from 56% charge to 80%, says distance added 69 miles. When we got home, the car was at 29% charge and said 75 miles range. I charged to 90% overnight and now my range says 248 miles. This is an improvement from before I increased pressure, and it was the longest trip since I got the car. So it appears that I was getting about the rated range of 270 miles, which is excellent for a trip where I mostly averaged about 70 mph IMO. I think that works out to a total of 95% charge used (44% + 51%). 95% of 88KWh is 83.6 so about 2.77 miles per kwh, not bad for 70 mph average.

Last edited:

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Ive got a set of 265 40 19 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires waiting to put on.
Im just hoping they dont rot away while Im waiting for the Mach e to be built

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have the 235 that is a little higher load rating (105 vs 103 stock and 99 for 225). I'm probably getting about a 10% range reduction, but worth it to me for the improved handling and lower braking distance. I work from home and I charge to 90% about once a week unless taking a longer drive. If I did a lot of longer trips it might be an issue, but I am very happy with these tires.

1624938027012.png

1624938099921.png
Do you need to make any adjustments to add the 235 tire?

I live in condo in Chicago, so i don't really have space to store winter tires. I'm cconsidering getting the CrossClimate to handle the cold (but usually dry or plowed roads) versus getting a winter tire and paying for storage.

Did you get the 235/55/R19?

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag

I live in condo in Chicago, so i don't really have space to store winter tires. I'm cconsidering getting the CrossClimate to handle the cold (but usually dry or plowed roads) versus getting a winter tire and paying for storage.

Places like DiscountTires will store your tires.

CrossClimate2's are amazing all-weather tires, expect 15-20% range loss though.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
CrossClimate2's are amazing all-weather tires, expect 15-20% range loss though.
This is why I took them off my list. Tesla owners have complained quite a bit about the range hit.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Glad to see these reviews. We can deal with the range hit, so these are definitely going on our GT (when we get it) if the stock tires don't do well in the snow.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
This is why I took them off my list. Tesla owners have complained quite a bit about the range hit.

15% - 20% is definitely an exaggeration of the real world range hit. With stock tire inflation of 39PSI on the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, I was seeing maybe a 10% hit. I now keep the tires inflated to 43 psi and the range hit is now negligible or non-existent when I look at my efficiency numbers. On highway at speed of 105 - 110 kmh I'm averaging about 4.6km/kwhr. Within city driving I'm averaging around 6 - 7 km/kwhr.

For my American friends that's about 2.5 miles/kwhr at highway speeds, and about 4 miles/kwhr within the city on average.

Range is excellent now, and I'm definitely meeting or exceeding EPA figures with the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires now.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag

I did get the 235/55/19, but if I had a do-over I would probably get the 245/55/19. There are no adjustments, the 235 fits fine and somebody else on this forum got the 245. These tires handle great on wet roads, and will most likely do well with snow also. For extreme ice real winter tires would probably be better, but these should do well 99.99% of the time.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
15% - 20% is definitely an exaggeration of the real world range hit. With stock tire inflation of 39PSI on the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, I was seeing maybe a 10% hit. I now keep the tires inflated to 43 psi and the range hit is now negligible or non-existent when I look at my efficiency numbers. On highway at speed of 105 - 110 kmh I'm averaging about 4.6km/kwhr. Within city driving I'm averaging around 6 - 7 km/kwhr.

For my American friends that's about 2.5 miles/kwhr at highway speeds, and about 4 miles/kwhr within the city on average.

Range is excellent now, and I'm definitely meeting or exceeding EPA figures with the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires now.
That is really good news, because it is a great tire. I may put them back on my list. :cool:

Rolling resistance is significantly impacted by tire pressure, but rolling resistance is also significantly impacted by tire material. Over-inflating the tires could overcome higher rolling resistance rubber, or at least mitigate it a lot. I am wondering how your tires will wear at 43 psi? Will you quickly get a bald spot in the center of the tires with them inflated like that? How is ride quality at 43 psi?

I have seen studies that show that under-inflated tires is the biggest cause of EVs not meeting range expectations. It can have a huge impact if you don't keep your tires properly inflated.

One thing to note is if you change your rims and tires at the same time, some of the range hit will be due to less aerodynamic rims, especially at highway speeds. Aftermarket rims could easily hit highway range by 10%.

gdsingh

First Name
GS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag

Could you share more pictures of your car? Esp for the back. I am on the fence on getting 245s vs 235vs on stock 19 inch. Also, with increased PSI have to noticed any dip in range?

gdsingh

First Name
GS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I have the 235 that is a little higher load rating (105 vs 103 stock and 99 for 225). I'm probably getting about a 10% range reduction, but worth it to me for the improved handling and lower braking distance. I work from home and I charge to 90% about once a week unless taking a longer drive. If I did a lot of longer trips it might be an issue, but I am very happy with these tires.

1624938027012.png

1624938099921.png
I am on the fence between 235 OR 245 on 19 inch stock wheels. Have you notice any dip in range with 43PSI? Could you share few pictures from the back of the car?