Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Great thread! I am seriously considering these for winter tires, if I can get them fitted to an 18" wheel. Love the idea of quiet, aggressive traction in snow and willing to sacrifice some range in the winter.
I would HIGHLY recommend the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires. I recently did some efficiency testing before and after switching my tires on the same day I didn't notice any noticeable efficiency or range loss between these and the OEM Michelin Primacy A/S that came with the car.

The tires were also amazing in the deep snow during this past winter, so if you are getting dedicated winter tires, I would get these over the Cross Climate 2.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I share this frustration. I expect the situation will get better before I need new tires, because more and more people will be looking for low rolling resistance options. Probably Tire Rack will lead the way.
I believe Goodyear has the Electric Drive GT tire which is designed specifically with EVs in mind, though I'm not sure what others are.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
I would HIGHLY recommend the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires. I recently did some efficiency testing before and after switching my tires on the same day I didn't notice any noticeable range loss between these and the OEM Michelin Primacy A/S that came with the car.

The tires were also amazing in the deep snow during this past winter, so if you are getting dedicated winter tires, I would get these over the Cross Climate 2.
I'm pleased and not surprised to read this!

I ran Michelin X-Ice snow tires in the winter on my ICE (see what I did there?) Mustang, and got them fitted to some new wheels to run on the Lincoln MKZ when the Mustang bit the dust.

On the Coupe, I did see a slight drop in fuel milage compared to the summer Pirelli tires (can't remember the model just now; might have been Scorpion Strada all season), but I loved the quiet ride compared to some earlier Blizzak winter tires and even compared to the summer Pirelli's.

On the Lincoln, holy crap they were quiet, and no drop in fuel mileage at all compared to the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4s which are harsher and louder to my ears. I'd run them year 'round on the Lincoln except they'd wear out pretty quick in summer heat.

Much obliged for the advice, @Mathington, and I might just go that route next winter based on your review and my own experience!

Now I just gotta find some suitable winter wheels, and of course it'd be nice to have a car to put them on...

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I like them. The 245/45/r20 9” wide. add to the width Nicely flush with side of car. .no major impact on Efficiency
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? 28A6BBC4-B386-47AB-881C-BC7D5A4F2DA0
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? 37C88FD4-2E99-491D-B5F8-AE68F4809B93

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
I've read a few times the CC2 causes a range hit at first, but once "broken in" the range is rather good.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I've read a few times the CC2 causes a range hit at first, but once "broken in" the range is rather good.
I don't believe that is the case, but I have no data to prove otherwise. Just common sense. That tire is designed for good traction in dry, wet and snow conditions. It is not designed for low rolling resistance. While it might get marginally better as it wears, it will never be as efficient as a low rolling resistance tire.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That is the same way I feel about it. But if there is a solution to make the ride smoother, I am interested. I really didn't want the GTPE, but the Magneride would have been really great.
That's me too. I'd love a tire that provides a softer, less jarring ride on rougher city streets. We're rarely on roads that produce the bouncy effect, but ruts and cracks and dips are common here where the Mach-E's firm suspension is more jarring than I'd like. But I don't know if different tires would make much difference. Probably not.

I do adjust the PSI up/down about 6 PSI for local driving vs road trips. On road trips I bump them up to 42-44 for a slightly firmer tire for better mileage (interstates are smooth enough). When I get home I drop them to 36-38 to try and soften them a little. I don't care about mileage around home since there's plenty of range locally. Not sure if it really make a big difference but there does seem to be some.

We're at 43k miles on the original tires still and looks like we can hold off a while longer. Measuring 4-5 32nds.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I run CC2s fall/winter/spring and the stock CrossContact RX tires spring/summer/fall (obviously some overlap). There is a noticeable range hit with the CC2s and the CrossContact RX tires are both quieter and do better at softening rough pavement.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
in spite of what everyone says the absolutely is a range hit with CC2. In my experience running non-LRR tires it is virtually not noticeable on city streets (under 35mph) but very noticeable at highway speeds. I personally would not run a CC2 on a Mustang Mach E because it's directional and will develop noise. The best would be to do summer-only and winter-only tires because of the additional performance properties of each. Attached are a few examples from Europe where they actually label the effects that a tire will have and every letter grade is worth about 2%. If you do an all-weather I would do the Quatrac Pro, It's more reasonably priced, can be 4 tire rotated, and just beat the CC2 in tire rack testing.

Link
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=306

Here is a test showing the MXM4 vs CC2 in range its about 10%. The MXV4 was replaced by the Primacy A/S that comes OE on the MME in 18 & 19" sizes. That Primacy A/S is said to be more efficient than the MXM4

Link
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=298

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? CC2

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? pc6

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? QTP

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
I wish a tire existed that did it all, but none do yet.
You can have 2 out of 3.

Grip & Quiet
Quiet & wear resistant
Wear resistant & grip

Not all 3, not possible by definition!!

The original Contis were terrible for grip all year round esp in winter but they were summer tyres.

Mich CC2 all year are good after around 20k.

UK weather doesn’t really warrant all the faff of chopping between winter & summer tyres, the weather extremes just aren’t here anymore, unless you allow yourself to be convinced of the necessity, only in my view before I get trolled😜

Grip’s really good but you only have to look at tread to know it would be.

Not the quietest tyre but noticed little no impact on range and seem to be wearing well.

Need to do a measure and mileage check.

jsturcke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Extended 2023
Country flag
I live in mountain area where it can get snowy in winter and hot in summer. I had Cross Climates for a number of years on my previous (ICE) car and highly rate them both for snow and rest-of-year driving.

As #53 mentioned CC2s come as standard on newly-announced MME GT Rally. Ford gives GT Rally range of 250 miles and standard GT range of 270 miles. Not sure to what extent we're comparing like with like, but the tyre choice could be a factor..... (as could the rear spoiler, elevated height etc). Either way it's less than a 10% reduction in quoted range.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ly-sport-mode-ordering-open-early-2024.30452/

Mach-e-in-MI

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-PE, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
I ordered these through Costco based on really good reviews from the Forum members but since we have a GT with the PE package, Costco refused to install the tires since our car came from the factory with "Y" rated tires. They could only drop 1 speed rating based on their corporate policy.

I argued that the GT (without the package) comes with V rated tires but they would not have it. Seems ridiculous as you would never run anywhere near the rated max speed and I doubt that the GT would even come close to 186MPH?!? LOL....

I ended up ordering Pilot Sport AS4s and had them from on the car from Oct to April this past year. Overall, we are happy with the tire. Good handling (not as crisp as the OEM summer tires -as expected) and good performance in snow and rain.

My wife didn't really think there was any difference but they were marginally louder (and I say very slightly) than the OEM summer tires built specifically for EVs with the extra sound deadening.

EV range seems close but hard to tell as we got such poor range once it got cold and this was our first winter with an EV.

Good luck but just know that if you have the Mach-E GT with the Performance Edition package, you will have trouble getting some installers to mount those tires since they are a Y-rated tire. Costco would do a W rated tire (1 down) but that's it and I don't think those are very common.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? 1694721543358

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I ordered these through Costco based on really good reviews from the Forum members but since we have a GT with the PE package, Costco refused to install the tires since our car came from the factory with "Y" rated tires. They could only drop 1 speed rating based on their corporate policy.

I argued that the GT (without the package) comes with V rated tires but they would not have it. Seems ridiculous as you would never run anywhere near the rated max speed and I doubt that the GT would even come close to 186MPH?!? LOL....

I ended up ordering Pilot Sport AS4s and had them from on the car from Oct to April this past year. Overall, we are happy with the tire. Good handling (not as crisp as the OEM summer tires -as expected) and good performance in snow and rain.

My wife didn't really think there was any difference but they were marginally louder (and I say very slightly) than the OEM summer tires built specifically for EVs with the extra sound deadening.

EV range seems close but hard to tell as we got such poor range once it got cold and this was our first winter with an EV.

Good luck but just know that if you have the Mach-E GT with the Performance Edition package, you will have trouble getting some installers to mount those tires since they are a Y-rated tire. Costco would do a W rated tire (1 down) but that's it and I don't think those are very common.

1694721543358.png
Speed ratings should not be called speed ratings. They should be called performance ratings. I remember reading for my old 1993 Mustang the difference between a H rated and V rated tire in stopping distance was 20 feet. BTW that is one step if you look at your chart. The rating is just speed but to build a tire that will handle the higher speed it's built better and will also affect cornering/handling and stopping. Indeed there probably is not a huge difference but there is a difference. Get an all-weather that has the right rating. After all, you bought a GTPE for the PE.

If you dead set on the CC2 see if they will let you do a 255/45/20 105W XL inflate to 36psi, I have the Wintrac Pro in that size and rating

Last edited:

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m Having the Mich CC2’s I mounted this week. I’m replacing the stock Continentals. The Michelin’s are gonna be 255’s instead of the 245’s, so I’m hoping the slightly taller tire changes nothing. Everything I’ve read about taller tires once moving are more efficient on the road. I know they’ll be slightly wider so that may just negate everything i’m thinking, but doesn’t matter, I don’t need them for efficiency because I just drive around town Mostly. Could throw the speedometer off very slightly, maybe a mile or two difference .
Sponsored