Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From Robert Iorio:

Memories of heading up Pike's Peak in full camo. October, 2019. On the decent, the team debuted Auto Grade Assist. Mustang Mach-E wil hold and maintain your speed going downhill. No need to control either pedal, the system detects your grade and blends in regen as required to hold the target speed. Neat stuff.

This sounds really good to me. Do other EVs do this?
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
From Robert Iorio:

Memories of heading up Pike's Peak in full camo. October, 2019. On the decent, the team debuted Auto Grade Assist. Mustang Mach-E wil hold and maintain your speed going downhill. No need to control either pedal, the system detects your grade and blends in regen as required to hold the target speed. Neat stuff.

This sounds really good to me. Do other EVs do this?
I was thinking about how that would work as I was driving to and from Virginia this last week through West Virginia going down those five mile long 7% grade mountains. Wondered how much range I could add.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Yes, the cruise control will slow you down using Regen on most EV's. The Bolt can charge at 75 kW during regen. on the steep hill. going 70mph. for a very short time. until it brings you to a quick stop.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ditto with the Leaf.

Funny story: A friend in Oahu has a Leaf, lives in Kailua and works in Pearl Harbor. Up over the mountain and down on every commute. Sometimes coming home the guess-o-meter nears zero range approaching the top. The car recharges all the way down but the guess-o-meter doesn't show you the credit you earned until after you turn it off and back on, so you have to drive on faith all the way home. I'm not only looking forward to Auto Grade Assist but the Intelligent Range to go with it.

Deleted member 367

I was thinking about how that would work as I was driving to and from Virginia this last week through West Virginia going down those five mile long 7% grade mountains. Wondered how much range I could add.
Last year while driving through rugged Trinity Alps mountains west of Redding, CA, I had to maximize my Tesla 3 range to safely return to I5 highway. Driving up hill like my grandmother and full costing down hill (without AC on), over 96 mi I added over 12 miles of range! It can be done.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Thereā€™s no way this car will work for me in Colorado if Ford hasnā€˜t done a good job of optimizing regen on downhill slopes! Thatā€™s about 50% of my driving. ?

Nice to hear they tested it on Pikes Peak....thatā€™s a great test of this!

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thereā€™s no way this car will work for me in Colorado if Ford hasnā€˜t done a good job of optimizing regen on downhill slopes! Thatā€™s about 50% of my driving. ?

Nice to hear they tested it on Pikes Peak....thatā€™s a great test of this!
Did you see today's photo from inside the Eisenhower tunnel?

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My wife's 2016 MKZ Hybrid has what appears to be the Auto Grade Assist. There is a green icon on a slope that comes on while going downhill. Note the Cruise Control is NOT on.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My wife's 2016 MKZ Hybrid has what appears to be the Auto Grade Assist. There is a green icon on a slope that comes on while going downhill. Note the Cruise Control is NOT on.
I just searched for this and found the feature "Hybrid Grade Assist." Sounds like this might be what's on the 2016 MKZ. So maybe the "Auto Grade Assist" is like this except without the need for an on/off button (and still no need for cruise control, similar to your wife's car).

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/electric-ev-hybrids/how-to-use-hybrid-grade-assist.html#

The more I learn about electric cars, the sooner I want to get away from my old fashioned ICE car!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I just searched for this and found the feature "Hybrid Grade Assist." Sounds like this might be what's on the 2016 MKZ. So maybe the "Auto Grade Assist" is like this except without the need for an on/off button (and still no need for cruise control, similar to your wife's car).

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/electric-ev-hybrids/how-to-use-hybrid-grade-assist.html#

The more I learn about electric cars, the sooner I want to get away from my old fashioned ICE car!
Yeah once you drive one you won't want an ICE ever again.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah once you drive one you won't want an ICE ever again.
I totally agree. This has been the progression for me and my wife:
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid (Me)
2013 Ford Fusion Energi [Plug-in Hybrid] (Wife)
2016 Lincoln MHZ Hybrid (Wife) - Replacement for 2013 FFE bought back by Ford due to non Energi issues
2018 Chevrolet Bolt Premium (Me)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e (Me) - Replacement for 2018 CBP

We will keep the 2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for longer trips.
For me the time required to charge and distance available for BEVs is still the drawback. We can do almost 500 miles in the MKZ without refueling (40+ MPG - 13.5Gal) and refuel in 10-15 minutes.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So it does this without cruise control or any other setting on? What if you actually WANT to coast to speed up some going downhill? You have to actively press the accelerator down?

Sounds like it could be a little confusing. Basically "automatic cruise control kicking in only when coasting downhill but not any other time". Does it simply use the speed that you were going when you lift your foot off the accelerator?

Guess it won't make a lot of difference for me since I'm in cruise control 95% of the time on highways anyway. I get a little ankle/knee fatigue, and I've come to rely on cruise control most of the time anymore.
Sponsored