Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid, 2018 Ford Escape Sport
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With battery technology advancing every day with new, better, improved faster longer ….. will my Mach E be worth anything in say 8 years when power train/ battery warranty expires? I read here an other reliable sources about a slow down in the EV world. Did we all get suckered in????
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
No, it won't be worth a dime. You should simply discard it. 🙄

65MustangBoy

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Mustang, 2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When the time comes for a replacement battery, there should be ones available with current day technology. They may be packaged differently but should be in a form factor that is made for the car. Plus a software update for whatever the technology is at that time.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
With battery technology advancing every day with new, better, improved faster longer ….. will my Mach E be worth anything in say 8 years when power train/ battery warranty expires? I read here an other reliable sources about a slow down in the EV world. Did we all get suckered in????
Here's your answer: https://www.carvana.com/cars/2016-electric

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Seeing as my other EV is exactly the same battery tech but 13 years old.. You have some time before 'new' battery tech ever becomes a thing.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
Seeing as my other EV is exactly the same battery tech but 13 years old.. You have some time before 'new' battery tech ever becomes a thing.
So true!
Admittedly the battery management systems are going to continue to improve. And even the chemistry-recipe will be tweaked. But the vast majority of EV's being manufactured today are using similar batteries to those of the Nissan Leaf more than a dozen years ago.

Nothing gets hyped more than "coming battery tech"

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Once they get new battery tech figured out for a phone, they just have to figure out how to scale it 1000x and manufacture it as cheap as possible. THEN EV's will get new tech.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
As a conservative Electrical Engineer, I bought my MME for 10 years life expectancy minimum. I am very confident it will hit that mark. What I was concerned about was a 1.0 release, which is why I waited until 2023. The MME is a software product as much as a hardware product. They are now learning about the perils of having 30,000+ software configurations in the wild. That is unsupportable and I see signs they are addressing it. You asked about resale value in 3-5 years and I see that as a different question. The hardware will be fine. The value is based on perception as much as reality. The US does not yet value Electric Vehicles. We will see what the future holds as the FUD dries up.

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
My 2015 Mustang wasn’t worth much when I bought my Mach E. Mostly because that’s what happens after I drive a car for 9 years.

I’m sure when I get rid of my Mach E someone will give me a couple grand for it also.

david_quick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

ToOldForThis

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Technical Analyst
This is not really a EV question in my opinion. 8-year old cars aren't (generally) worth anywhere near what they cost new. Also, look at the technology available on most 2016 cars compared to vehicles coming out in 2024. If you were expecting an 8-year old Mach E to have the same technology that is going to be available 8-years from now, then yes, you got suckered.

Sikkun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E
The whole slow down thing is sensationalizing a slower than expected growth in sales. It’s still growing double digit percentage per year. This is 2-3 times the growth rate of any ICE brands. Read this Forbes article from May 19th

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energy...ehicles-accelerate-toward-50-of-global-sales/
Yeah but Tesla sales slowed. So the fact Mach E sales are up YOY and 24 is on track to be its best year means the car is on hospice and the line is about to be cut apparently.

Thunderbuck

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
IT Tech
Country flag
I'd call this a larger concern than actual battery degradation.

My approach to this is pretty much the same as my approach to computers/phones: it's not obsolete so long as you continue to have a use for it. I prefer to view it as an opportunity. If we wind up with hundreds of thousands of Mach-Es on the road, there will be a great market for updated batteries with newer tech (we're seeing this with Leafs). If Ford is smart, they'll make a business out of replacing EV batteries either for existing customers, or on trade-in as part of their CPO process.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
No, nobody has been suckered. I've been telling people since the early 90s that anytime is good to buy the most recent computer, even though new technologies are being introduced. Same advice with EVs. I've read multiple articles hyping 'solid state' batteries that can charge fully in 10 minutes and provide 600+ mile range, and oh...they still have chemistry and manufacturing issues to resolve so they MAY be available in 2 years...or 5.
Last year a local guy who bought a R1T argued that the next generation batteries without lithium would be available by now. I tried to explain that lithium is the best available battery chemistry for the foreseeable future but he was adamant. Oh well. ;)

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Preimium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With the slowdown in EV's replacing ICE cars it only helps. Hopefully many more years of no or low taxes too.
Sponsored