Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone just taken the wheel off and put it in the back with the seats down?
Yes, with the seats down one bike fits fine, and you could probably shoehorn another one in there if you weren't too worried about scuffs.

However, I think the hitch racks are most practical - the Torklift hitch is nice and was a fairly easy install. Looks stock. The 1-UP EquipD hitch just barely fits without an extender, but with a 7" extension it is still snug to the vehicle and the hatch can open and close without interference when bikes are not loaded (but the rack is in the "up" position).

If anyone does get an extender, I strongly recommend getting one with a threaded hitch pin or another anti-wobble device like a cam. It makes a huge difference on bike racks and can virtually eliminate wobble or rattle in the rack.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Considering Tesla roofs have flown off and Mach E roofs have had seal/noise issues without these, I'm not sure attaching one of these to a glass roof would be my first choice.
I’ll consider the SeaSucker racks, but they’re not ideal for several reasons including that one. A hitch isn’t an option at all here though which leaves … the Tacoma.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, with the seats down one bike fits fine, and you could probably shoehorn another one in there if you weren't too worried about scuffs.

However, I think the hitch racks are most practical - the Torklift hitch is nice and was a fairly easy install. Looks stock. The 1-UP EquipD hitch just barely fits without an extender, but with a 7" extension it is still snug to the vehicle and the hatch can open and close without interference when bikes are not loaded (but the rack is in the "up" position).

If anyone does get an extender, I strongly recommend getting one with a threaded hitch pin or another anti-wobble device like a cam. It makes a huge difference on bike racks and can virtually eliminate wobble or rattle in the rack.
My KĂĽat has the cam and it works great. Are there aftermarket solutions for other racks to eliminate wobbling?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
My KĂĽat has the cam and it works great. Are there aftermarket solutions for other racks to eliminate wobbling?
I'm not familiar with all the styles, but there are a few versions of a cam (1 UP and Kuat have those), and many more with a threaded pin. The threaded pins are nice and simple - basically instead of just being a smooth through-pin there is a threaded block welded to the inside of the extension (or held in with a spring, in some cases). The pin then threads into that and pulls the extension to the side of the receiver and locks it in place. The cams are slicker, but the threaded pin kits do the job and are available both in a generic aftermarket, and as a part of several branded extensions. eTrailer.com has a good selection.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Yeah fair point. A canoe is likely heavier than a couple bikes (weight limit for bikes is 45 lbs each).
My decked Kevlar touring canoe is 78 pounds. Back in the day we used a partially inflated inner tube or two with straps through the back windows haha. And front and rear lines to bumpers. Real honest to god bumpers.

lbj

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER Infinite Blue Metallic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone just taken the wheel off and put it in the back with the seats down?
When I put the seats down, I can get my road bike in without taking the wheel off. It is a fairly small frame though (either 49 or 50cm - can't remember exactly). I haven't tried my mountain bike - that goes in the bed of the F-150.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Hallo all! I can't find an exact answer to this question, so here goes: has a solution for carrying bikes or other cargo been published or disclosed anywhere?

A truck/hatch mount style rack seems to be out of the question (based on owner manual seemingly prohibiting this)

Hitch mount is questionable, given no towing in the US and no aftermarket hitch options currently presenting themselves.

Roof Rack system - Also questionable. I saw the prototype at the Portland Autoshow earlier this year and the roof didn't seem to have mounting points, and certainly didn't have rails. Anyone see if aftermarket companies are working on a roof edge/door sill mounts?

I have a First Edition on order that goes into production in next couple weeks, for what I assume means early January delivery. And watching all the videos lately I'm really excited and really want to go through with this order. Maybe not popular on this site, but I just can't see going through with this purchase if there isn't a definite solution on the near horizon for a option to carry cargo/bike other than what I can stuff in the back.
I use the SeaSucker bomber and it works great for up to 3 bikes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Bike Rack Solution? 20210911_092202

Ford Mustang Mach-E Bike Rack Solution? 20210911_092215

20210911_092225.jpg

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I like the look of seasuckers but I'm paranoid about damaging the glass roof. Also I'd be using it to carry a canoe and while they mention in passing that you can use the crossbar version for that I can't find anyone online who actually uses it for that purpose.
Foam blocks is all you need for a canoe with straps going inside through the vehicle. But we're getting off topic from OP thread with that.

James07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Mercedes-Benz S
Occupation
Chiropractor
Country flag
The steps to putting a bike rack on a car: the first step is selecting the right bike rack. The compatibility and fit of the bike rack can provide stability and maximum security for your bicycle. Some of the most widely used racks for cars are hitch racks, roof racks, and trunk racks. After choosing the right bike rack for your car, you might install it. If you use hitch racks, you should slide the rack into the hitch receiver and use bolts and lock washers for a more secure installation. With the roof racks, you can hook the bike rack across each of the crossbars and add a step ladder during the installation. Lay the bike rack on top of the crossbars and make sure that the front rack is in line with the front crossbar while the back of the rack is attached to the back area of the bar. If you prefer the simpler models to install and remove from your car, you might use trunk racks. For a more secure attachment, you can use extra straps for double security.

Last edited:

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I would be willing to bet that we in the states will be able to tap the market and get a “euro” hitch ordered somewhere. The VW scene orders German spec OEM equipment all the time for things we don’t get in the US. One of those hitch bike racks would be ideal. I had a very embarrassing moment with my roof rack and backed my bike into the house because I forgot it was up there after driving home an hour. I would prefer not to go roof rack again. That was a costly mistake
One easy way to remember the bike is on the roof before accidentally driving into your garage is to put your garage door remote in a cycling glove before you leave. When you get home you see the remote in the glove and remember your have $10k in bikes up there :)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
One easy way to remember the bike is on the roof before accidentally driving into your garage is to put your garage door remote in a cycling glove before you leave. When you get home you see the remote in the glove and remember your have $10k in bikes up there :)
But how would you fit the glove around the sun visor? :oops:

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
But how would you fit the glove around the sun visor? :oops:
Take the remote off the visor and put it in the glove, put in cup holder…or put the remote in your gear bag…or leave the remote at home and force yourself to get out of the car…

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name