Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
It says blue cruise on the display when it is first engaged. There is an icon showing hands on the wheel when it is nagging you too hold the steering wheel.
I think you were not on an approved highway for blue cruise (could be due to the construction).
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
About 2% of the cars on the road are Teslas (although their share of current vehicle sales is closer to 3.5%). Each year, about 38,000 people die in auto accidents. Applying Tesla's ownership percentage to the annual fatality rate, we would expect to have 760 deaths attributable to Teslas. As such, it should be no surprise that there are hundreds of deaths listed in the sources above. In fact, I'm surprised the Tesla-related deaths are so low, which may have something to do with the fact that Auto Pilot and active collision avoidance systems have a very positive impact on reducing accidents and fatalities.

Sure, there are idiots out there who will misuse this technology, but for the majority of well-meaning Tesla and MME owners, I'm sure that the driver assistance and collision avoidance systems will do a great job in reducing the potential for accidents resulting in fatalities.

I'm honestly very tired of overhyped stories about accidents and fires in EVs; if you look at the actual numbers, all EVs (Teslas and non-Teslas) appear to be far safer vehicles than their ICE equivalents.
I'm pretty sure Tesla has 2% of overall sales, not vehicles on the road.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm pretty sure Tesla has 2% of overall sales, not vehicles on the road.
The 3.5% figure is correct...that's Tesla's current approximate share of total vehicle sales. As far as the total percentage of Teslas (relative to all cars on the road), it's changing quickly, but it is likely at or north of 1% at this point (although probably less than 2%). Either way, the total number of deaths reflected by Tesla ownership is not surprising (or high) in any way, given how many Teslas are out there.

Last edited:

Btshank

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Just got a notice that Blue Cruise had been enabled on my GTPE. Used it during lunch today.

Screenshot_20210901-152431_FordPass.jpg
I got the same message in my Ford pass but I don't see where it is on the car.

George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Prius; 2011 Subaru Outback; 2021 Mustang Mach
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Same thing for me. I got the message that it's ready to use and enjoy for 3 years. But even on a major freeway (Rt 101 on the west coast) it never kicks in. Don't know how to tell if it's truly onboard, or how to engage it. Also have no idea which of the roads on my trip are "approved" for BlueCruise use. Is there a reference for us to see where it will work?

CAroute-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Yeah i am also very confused how to properly look at while I blue cruise. I cannot hear any sound when blueCruise is asking you to put your hands on. It only shows the notification in the little screen in front of you.
What is the best practice?
Am I suppose to look at the little screen like every 3 seconds while looking straight on the road?
If the alert can be loud and clear then i can just look straight at all times.

On the freeway, the bluecruise really just goes up to 65mph even when I drive late night with little to no cars around me, how can I have the bluecruise automatically increase it to say 75mph?

thanks.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Any updates on BlueCruise interactive maps? I saw an earlier thread where people thought the red marked roads on the FordPass app are BlueCruise enabled...which kind of makes sense when I look at those roads near me, but folks doubted it was in the prior thread.

Come on you GT folks with BC...I want to live vicariously through you as I wait until Q1 22

SeniorFunky

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Executive
Country flag
Hi guys,
With the new Ford announcement that Blue Cruise will update and activate in Q1 2022, do the ones that already have it activated remain with the system active?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Same thing for me. I got the message that it's ready to use and enjoy for 3 years. But even on a major freeway (Rt 101 on the west coast) it never kicks in. Don't know how to tell if it's truly onboard, or how to engage it. Also have no idea which of the roads on my trip are "approved" for BlueCruise use. Is there a reference for us to see where it will work?
It has to be a true "limited access" highway (only way to get on/off is via ramps). In Michigan, for example, US-127 has sections that are limited access ... but in other sections there are intersections (cross-roads) where you can enter/exit without using a ramp. Coverage on that road only works in the areas that have ramps and it stops working as soon as you get to an area that has cross-roads.

A while back I saw one image (clearly meant to advertise the coverage) and it wasn't highly detailed ... but it was detailed enough that you could sort of figure it out because the highlighted routes (though not labeled) matched where I knew the major freeways were located in my area. You can find one here: https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...-off-driving-feature-is-a-solid-first-effort/

Even though that's not very detailed, it is detailed enough that you can see that most of US-101 is not a "Blue Zone".

Get on covered highway and activate cruise-control. Instead of getting the "hands on" image, you should get the "hands free" image on the driver display.

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
I cannot hear any sound when blueCruise is asking you to put your hands on. It only shows the notification in the little screen in front of you.
I also get no audible notification when BluCruise is available or when I need to put my hands on the steering wheel. Is there a setting that needs to be tripped to on?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I also get no audible notification when BluCruise is available or when I need to put my hands on the steering wheel. Is there a setting that needs to be tripped to on?
The notifications (audible and even visual) depend on contextual details.

So for instance, if you're already controlling the wheel, even very gently, you will only observe the hands free visualizations animate back into hands on visualizations. And of course the indicator lamp near the odometer changes from blue to another state (green or gray, typically).

If the vehicle can't detect that you're watching the road, and it needs you to retake control of the wheel, then you'll see some messaging to that effect and you may hear tones.

It seems like the tones are fairly quiet. If it needs you to take more immediate control, for example because it believes it just crossed lane markers, then the alerts are red and the tones seem louder.

Here's a video covering a tiny bit of how it works:

Sponsored