IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
To be fair, that spreadsheet states the last fatal incident with autopilot was July. There have been more recent fatal incidents, even one early today
Can you provide a link to the source for the "one early today?"
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Agreed. The crash has nothing to do with Tesla, per se. The article states that "the driver failed to stop at a stop sign...."
"2021 Tesla Model S Plaid at a high speed when the driver failed to stop at a stop sign"
Personally would attribute it to the insane power of the plaid available as a road car

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
"2021 Tesla Model S Plaid at a high speed when the driver failed to stop at a stop sign"
Personally would attribute it to the insane power of the plaid available as a road car
So, as currently reported, the driver was driving at a "HIGH SPEED" and failed to stop at a stop sign, thereby causing a fatal MVA. It's difficult for me to shift blame from the driver to Tesla (or any brand), without more information. Is it possible that many of the deaths listed on tesladeaths.com are related to HUMAN ERROR versus the brand of vehicle? Unfortunately, sometimes, the need for speed kills.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Blue Cruise Activated Tesla Deaths Snapshot.JPG

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So, as currently reported, the driver was driving at a "HIGH SPEED" and failed to stop at a stop sign, thereby causing a fatal MVA. It's difficult for me to shift blame from the driver, without more information.
Oh I'm fully with you that fault lies with the driver. I was more saying how the super powerful models from other manufactures are more track oriented/limited/restricted. Cobra jet, Dodge Demon, Nissan GT-R

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In the US ALL vehicles are only allowed level 2 Self-Driving. That means drivers are responsible at all times no matter the reason. You need to be ready and capable to manually control your car or you should not be driving it!

You can't blame the car when the driver was at the wheel!

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The data is so misleading though. Everyone says ā€œTesla did it!!ā€ when in an accident as that just somehow is going to remove blame.

The interesting data will be the black box info that actually shows the system was engaged. Either way, itā€™s still your fault.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Some updates. Just did a trip from Salt Lake City North to Pocatello, ID. One thing I learned is that Blue Cruise does not work if you go over 80mph. Took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working. Speed limit here is 80mph.
Does it say anything, or just doesn't engage? Not really an issue for me, highest speed limit where I go is 75 and I don't like to go much faster anyways as fuel economy drops pretty quick up there.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Does it say anything, or just doesn't engage? Not really an issue for me, highest speed limit where I go is 75 and I don't like to go much faster anyways as fuel economy drops pretty quick up there.
I wonder if you bumped the ICC speed tolerance up to speed limit + (some amount) if BC would engage or stay engaged. Not having BC on my premium and not living in a BC area, itā€™s unlikely Iā€™ll find out.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Seems many times Teslaā€™s response is ā€œautopilot was not engaged at the time of impactā€ but I believe I have also read that the autopilot disengages as soon as it canā€™t stop or steer in time to avoid something. So that response could be misleading.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
About 2% of the cars on the road are Teslas (although their share of current vehicle sales is closer to 3.5%). Each year, about 38,000 people die in auto accidents. Applying Tesla's ownership percentage to the annual fatality rate, we would expect to have 760 deaths attributable to Teslas. As such, it should be no surprise that there are hundreds of deaths listed in the sources above. In fact, I'm surprised the Tesla-related deaths are so low, which may have something to do with the fact that Auto Pilot and active collision avoidance systems have a very positive impact on reducing accidents and fatalities.

Sure, there are idiots out there who will misuse this technology, but for the majority of well-meaning Tesla and MME owners, I'm sure that the driver assistance and collision avoidance systems will do a great job in reducing the potential for accidents resulting in fatalities.

I'm honestly very tired of overhyped stories about accidents and fires in EVs; if you look at the actual numbers, all EVs (Teslas and non-Teslas) appear to be far safer vehicles than their ICE equivalents.

OP
OP
Sagacity

Sagacity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT/PE, 2015 Limited Edition Mustang GT 0146
Occupation
Network Administrator
Country flag
There is no indicator that it will not engage if going over 80. If you are going over 80 and the car slows down because of a vehicle in front of you then blue cruise will engage and once the car in front of you speeds up or moves out of the way then blue cruise will turn off once you exceed 80mph

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
When you tried it, did it plow into a tractor trailer or emergency vehicle? Just want to compare it to Tesla. ?
My MME Premium just came in and it didnā€™t have BlueCruise installed (activated). I happen to like driving so for me I wonā€™t get it. I live in CT and donā€™t drive long distances.
Sponsored