Kiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E (MME)
Occupation
Program manager
Country flag
Let me seenother objects on the screen before we fully implement. I will be a test subject with hands hovering over the wheel, ready to engage.
Like my custom MME in the photo?
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company should take a look at the issue @theo1000 points out here. Sometimes the intelligent cruise control picks up a phantom speed limit that exists in the past but there is no sign for it any longer (the speed limit has changed, but the GPS database is pulling an old speed limit the system anticipates being on a segment of road). This happens to me in a couple of spots where the system thinks the speed limit is an old limit but has been changed. The issue is that it picks up the speed limit on the sign and follows it for a while before suddenly deciding to revert to the old limit (and randomly speeding up in my case) at the same gps marker before then seeing another sign for the new speed limit 1/4 mile down the road and slowing back down again.
Do we have any evidence that IACC works based upon “GPS”? I don’t think that’s the way it works. I’m pretty sure it only optically reads signs. Which is why it sometimes takes a while for a posted speed to even show up on the dash when you first start driving if it hasn’t seen a sign yet. The odds are high that your car misread a sign, misread something that wasn’t even a sign, and that’s what caused your bad input. This happens to me occasionally with frontage roads along the highway. The car gets tricked by the lower frontage road speed limit sign. It has nothing to do with “mapping.” And because IACC isn’t smart enough, I leave it off. It isn’t a very useful feature, anyway.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Do we have any evidence that IACC works based upon “GPS”? I don’t think that’s the way it works. I’m pretty sure it only optically reads signs. Which is why it sometimes takes a while for a posted speed to even show up on the dash when you first start driving if it hasn’t seen a sign yet. The odds are high that your car misread a sign, misread something that wasn’t even a sign, and that’s what caused your bad input. This happens to me occasionally with frontage roads along the highway. The car gets tricked by the lower frontage road speed limit sign. It has nothing to do with “mapping.” And because IACC isn’t smart enough, I leave it off. It isn’t a very useful feature, anyway.
Speed limits are mapped in highway databases, which are matched to your location via GPS. That's why your phone using Google Maps or Apple Maps is able to display the speed limit when your phone isn't actively seeing street signs.

Intelligent cruise uses a combination of street signs and gps databases (the street sign should override the database). The issue is in whatever programming the system uses to refresh the speed limit when no sign is present. So if a speed limit changes and new signage is put up, but isn't present where the system is refreshing, then it can pull the database limit instead of the posted sign. The database could be particularly out of date. And, yes, sometimes the system is misinterpreting a sign.

In my particular instance, there is a new sign the system recognizes. Then at a given point about a half mile after the sign, the system reverts to the old speed limit (there is no sign of any type present at this location, but it is the location of one of the old signs that was removed but still recorded in the database). The system then sees the next new limit sign which is posted at a different location, and switches back to that.

There are two other points around here where speed limits were changed within the past few months and the vehicle exhibits the same behavior where the new sign is posted at a location different than the old sign. Where the old sign was, the car reverts to the database in the absence of any sign.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that my Mach-E changes from 70 mph to 65 mph at exactly the same place every time I drive through several locations that the speed limit was 65 but is now 70. There are no signs near these points that say anything but 70 mph, and the car goes back to 70 as soon as I drive past another sign.

The only way this could make any sense at all is if the map includes speed limit data.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that my Mach-E changes from 70 mph to 65 mph at exactly the same place every time I drive through several locations that the speed limit was 65 but is now 70. There are no signs near these points that say anything but 70 mph, and the car goes back to 70 as soon as I drive past another sign.

The only way this could make any sense at all is if the map includes speed limit data.
I concur; I have also noticed my car sometimes changes the speed limit indicator when no sign is present.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
do we trust them to drive for us even though they can't get PAAK to work?
Fortunately, they are not driving for you. You will continue to be driving the vehicle at all times with BlueCruise. It’s another Advanced Driver Assistance System. If you attempt to relinquish your diving responsibility and the system detects that, it will warn you, then disengage, just as ICC with Lane Centering does today.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Still not seeing it in my account. Hopefully it will pop up. If not I will have to reach out to ford.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Fortunately, they are not driving for you. You will continue to be driving the vehicle at all times with BlueCruise. It’s another Advanced Driver Assistance System. If you attempt to relinquish your diving responsibility and the system detects that, it will warn you, then disengage, just as ICC with Lane Centering does today.
What’s the point if it doesn’t drive for you?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
What’s the point if it doesn’t drive for you?
Driver assistance systems are intended to reduce fatigue and increase safety.

I'm looking forward to BlueCruise for road trips. It sounds easier to me than the current IACC. Of course I won't know that for sure until I try it.

The BIGGEST thing I'm looking forward to though is the camera-based driver attention monitoring. I have a tendency to get into a zombie state on really long drives where I don't usually force myself to exit and take a rest. I'm hopeful that the DAM in the Mach-E is a big improvement over the steering wheel torque sensor in determining when I'm starting to glaze over.

I hope Ford eventually lets us enable the camera DAM for even regular driving with cruise control disabled.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Driver assistance systems are intended to reduce fatigue and increase safety.
I get that, but if it's not driving for you, then what exactly are you getting for your $200/year subscription? I am genuinely curious to know what it is outside of vague marketing buzzwords in the case of Ford. I can see autonomous driving that forces you to keep your eyes on the road so you have to be ready to take control in case of an emergency, but if you're sitting there with your hands on the wheel the whole time, then it seems a bit pointless.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I get that, but if it's not driving for you, then what exactly are you getting for your $200/year subscription? I am genuinely curious to know what it is outside of vague marketing buzzwords in the case of Ford. I can see autonomous driving that forces you to keep your eyes on the road so you have to be ready to take control in case of an emergency, but if you're sitting there with your hands on the wheel the whole time, then it seems a bit pointless.
BlueCruise is hands free driving. So your hands would not need to be on the wheel until you see fit to take over, or the system requests you to take over.

This means that on qualified roads, Ford is delivering a system in which they have sufficient confidence that the vehicle can handle highway situations to the extent that when a human takeover is or is projected to be required, the human's reaction time can be a little slower than with hands-on driving.

The rest of this is going to look like a rant, but I just sort of get triggered on "autonomous driving" when we're talking about normal vehicles from Ford, Tesla, Toyota, etc. I am not pointing this towards you specifically. This is just something I've been seeing here on the forum over and over so it's super common that people call ADAS stuff "autonomous" but I believe this is wrong.

With BlueCruise, we drivers will need to continuously pay attention. It isn't autonomous driving. It's just a significant improvement over the existing levels of cruise control.

No one sells an autonomous car to the general public. The AVs sharing our roads right now are private commercial vehicles, special purpose, and not in any way available through retail channels.

"Driver assistance" and "autonomous driving" are two very different things. Both are complicated feats of engineering. One does not lead to the other, or vice versa.

It's unfortunate that SAE's chart showing six levels of vehicle automation have caused most of us (myself included) to think of "fully autonomous, level 5 automation" as the natural progression and end state from levels 1 and 2, but now I finally don't see it that way.

Level 3 should likely not happen, for safety reasons. Levels 0, 1, and 2 are human driving with varying levels of assistance. Levels 4 and 5 are autonomous driving, with no need for any human driver.

Thesmoothdome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Star White Metallic Premium eRWD
Country flag
Funny. I see the page, but just see the payment methods that will be accepted. No activation button or even a way to pay.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Funny. I see the page, but just see the payment methods that will be accepted. No activation button or even a way to pay.
Like the first page says: Coming Soon.
Sponsored