California Clean Air Vehicle Decal

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
do you have to apply for these stickers within a certain time? the new ones are ugly, and i really dont need them currently with the pandemic.
Sponsored

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
do you have to apply for these stickers within a certain time? the new ones are ugly, and i really dont need them currently with the pandemic.
No, you can do it at any point (however, a car can only be stickered once so once it's done it's done).

So you can wait until you're ready (read: until the color changes) if you don't need the stickers now.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Unless they update the program, there’s no benefit to waiting. All 2022 and future stickers will expire on the same date near the end of 2025 and will likely be the same color.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
They didn’t show the proper documentation (stickers on car), that was the problem lol. Don’t get mad for getting caught lol. That said, waze has been pretty good for spotting cops by the toll booths for me ? lol. I’ll put my stickers on when I get them but maybe not all of them lol.
Not all of them??? Are you saying you will not show the proper documentation?? I am shocked and dismayed by your flagrant, premeditated disregard for the law, Motomax.

Don't get mad when you're caught!

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
OK so I have the stickers, and couldn't bring myself to put them on. A CHP officer pulled me over, and gave me a ticket despite me showing her that I had the stickers. She informed me that she was issuing me a ticket, and that it WAS NOT a "fix it ticket". The decals had to be on the car in order to legally drive in the land.

$237 ticket. I put the stickers on that evening.
Bummer. I'm still not putting them on. It will take at least two tickets before they break me!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Unless they update the program, there’s no benefit to waiting. All 2022 and future stickers will expire on the same date near the end of 2025 and will likely be the same color.
Yup, September 30, 2025 is specifically the last day.

Given the explosion in popularity of EVs, I don’t think they will extend it for EVs generally, just like how the program started with hybrids initially then hybrids were phased out after the Prius and other hybrids became so popular.

If the program gets renewed, I bet it will be for super efficient vehicles or some other metric, like say an EPA rating of at least 200 MPGe or something.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Not all of them??? Are you saying you will not show the proper documentation?? I am shocked and dismayed by your flagrant, premeditated disregard for the law, Motomax.

Don't get mad when you're caught!
Why would I get mad at someone for doing their job? Contrary to the current thought process of todays society, Owning up to one’s action is entirely possible.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
Yup, September 30, 2025 is specifically the last day.

Given the explosion in popularity of EVs, I don’t think they will extend it for EVs generally, just like how the program started with hybrids initially then hybrids were phased out after the Prius and other hybrids became so popular.

If the program gets renewed, I bet it will be for super efficient vehicles or some other metric, like say an EPA rating of at least 200 MPGe or something.
My guess is that it gets extended for one more cycle (California is REALLY fired up about EVs) and then transitions to hydrogen vehicles or something similar.

Reactions: ARK

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I don't like the thought of EVs using the carpool lane with one person in the car. The intent of the carpool lane is to reduce the number of cars on the road, not reward fuel efficiency. Once a lot of EVs are present, like they are here in California, it negates the value of the carpool lane.

On top of that if the carpool lanes aren't generally travelling at a significantly faster speed then the rest of the lanes then the state is subject to losing federal funds. That means they'll raise the HOV number to 3+ to make up for EVs.

I would support the elimination of all stickers for carpool lanes so we can return to the original purpose of the carpool lane: reduce traffic.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I put the two small ones on using PPF. The two Large ones are in the glovebox.

Rear Right, and Front Left.

I only use the stickers for an HOV On Ramp on the way out. I don't really use the actual HOV lanes as I'd have to wiggle thru 4 lanes of traffic to the far left lane, then as I get closer to the off ramp, wiggle back across 4 lanes to exit the freeway.

And the HOV lane is not significantly faster than the normal lanes.

/YMMV

MazzMayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I don't like the thought of EVs using the carpool lane with one person in the car. The intent of the carpool lane is to reduce the number of cars on the road, not reward fuel efficiency. Once a lot of EVs are present, like they are here in California, it negates the value of the carpool lane.

On top of that if the carpool lanes aren't generally travelling at a significantly faster speed then the rest of the lanes then the state is subject to losing federal funds. That means they'll raise the HOV number to 3+ to make up for EVs.

I would support the elimination of all stickers for carpool lanes so we can return to the original purpose of the carpool lane: reduce traffic.
The HOV lane was to reduce traffic to reduce emissions in California, so the result is the same. Not to move into a tangent traffic is a larger infrastructure and planning problem then a lane or two on mayor highways.
In the Bay Area those lanes are converting to express lanes w/ EV discounts or 3+ requirements. In a month or so my stickers will be fairly worthless. You now have to pay for the possibility of a slightly quicker commute every once and awhile. Which seems much worse then an sole driver EV in the lane.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
The HOV lane was to reduce traffic to reduce emissions in California, so the result is the same. Not to move into a tangent traffic is a larger infrastructure and planning problem then a lane or two on mayor highways.
In the Bay Area those lanes are converting to express lanes w/ EV discounts or 3+ requirements. In a month or so my stickers will be fairly worthless. You now have to pay for the possibility of a slightly quicker commute every once and awhile. Which seems much worse then an sole driver EV in the lane.
The HOV lane was created long before the thought to reduce emissions was added. That later add was to reward companies (campaign donors) who made hybrid vehicles.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag

I agree with you in theory. The problem is the original concept of the carpool lane is flawed. In many areas the carpool lane is only in effect during commute times in the morning and evening. I don't know a single person that carpools with other people to work to take advantage of it. Most of the time people are using that lane illegally. I think the state simply uses it as a revenue stream, and nothing more.

That being said I think the carpool lane actually creates more traffic instead of less. If those lanes were open all the time for everyone there would be less traffic. With the addition of BEV being able to use it, it at least creates some incentive for people to buy BEV's over ICE. The same issue I mentioned still exists, but at least the carpool lane gets used more frequently to mitigate traffic.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I agree with you in theory. The problem is the original concept of the carpool lane is flawed. In many areas the carpool lane is only in effect during commute times in the morning and evening. I don't know a single person that carpools with other people to work to take advantage of it. Most of the time people are using that lane illegally. I think the state simply uses it as a revenue stream, and nothing more.

That being said I think the carpool lane actually creates more traffic instead of less. If those lanes were open all the time for everyone there would be less traffic. With the addition of BEV being able to use it, it at least creates some incentive for people to buy BEV's over ICE. The same issue I mentioned still exists, but at least the carpool lane gets used more frequently to mitigate traffic.
In the metropolitan Los Angeles area you are correct. Most of the rest of California (and the country for that matter) has carpool lanes that are only carpool lanes during specific hours. The way the L.A. area does it is completely insane .

LTFordFan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Well that sucks, sorry that happened to you. It is pretty surprising the CHP officer didn't just run your plates to verify you had and active registration for the car pool lane before pulling you over. Their only verification can't just be some stupid stickers. Even more surprising you still got a ticket even after showing the proper documentation.

I'll take my chances that "A" I'll even get pulled over for it in the first place, and "B" that the officer won't give me a break once I provide the documentation. If I do get caught like you did I'll either put the damn stickers on, or just skip the car pool lane when I'm solo. Most likely I'll go with the latter, I can't bring myself to vandalize my own car ?.

Thanks for the warning.
My take on what happened to me is that it's a "California Thing". I showed the CHP Officer the stickers, showed the documentation that matched the stickers to the car, and offered to put the stickers on while we were "discussing the issue" there on the side of 405 during rush hour traffic. IMO, the State of California wanted to be able to issue me that ticket so that they could make the fee, and the Officer complied. I would be very interested to hear if this has happened to anybody else, or was that just my lucky day?
Sponsored