Can someone explain this odd subwoofer design?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On a side note how hard was it to remove all the trim to dynamat the whole car
Extremely easy. Pull the weather seal up and pull the side panel off. I did not remove the panel completely. Only had to enough to get back in behind it to put my arm through a large hole to apply the soundproofing. There are just clips holding it on, no screws.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.44.57 AM.png
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Extremely easy. Pull the weather seal up and pull the side panel off. I did not remove the panel completely. Only had to enough to get back in behind it to put my arm through a large hole to apply the soundproofing. There are just clips holding it on, no screws.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can someone explain this odd subwoofer design? Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.44.57 AM
Can I ask where you got these diagrams from? Service manual (I assume it's on this forum somewhere... I just haven't looked yet)?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.44.57 AM.png
I guess you'll be adding a amp that can use the line level inputs? Otherwise I don't see an easy way of adding a sub. Think we can use the sub connector to connect to an external amp?

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
This is a B&O design that uses the space around the speaker to enhance sub woofer performance. This is not the only Ford product that has this design. The vehicles sound systems are tuned for hundreds of hours at their lab in Novi, MI. Interesting design.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess you'll be adding a amp that can use the line level inputs? Otherwise I don't see an easy way of adding a sub. Think we can use the sub connector to connect to an external amp?
Yes, I use only JLAudio amps and subs. They have line level inputs as well as low level. After a bit of figuring out what size I wanted to still maintain the dual level of the cargo floor, I decided on the JLAudio ACS110LG-TW1 sub/amp combo. If I were to keep the cargo floor on the upper level I could have gone with a larger sub or even dual subs. Not interested in that. Don't need the output with this system. Just looking for some actual low end bass. I just got through running the power wire from the battery and the OEM sub wires for the audio signal so all ready to drop in the sub when it gets here on Friday.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a B&O design that uses the space around the speaker to enhance sub woofer performance. This is not the only Ford product that has this design. The vehicles sound systems are tuned for hundreds of hours at their lab in Novi, MI. Interesting design.
I have never seen this design before and have messed with the audio on a lot of Ford vehicles, at least 50. I am sure there are other Ford's out there similar but never seen one. This is my 3rd B&O sub I have seen and replaced. The first was in my 2020 Mustang which was a 10" B&O in a very decent size sealed box. The second was in a 2021 F-450 which was also a sealed box B&O woofer. This one in the Mach-E just threw me for a loop seeing a very cheap 6x9 in an enclosure no bigger than the speaker itself with a port going to the outside of the wheel well.

I always find it funny when I read advertising on these factory systems where they say they spend hundreds of hours and days and days designing a system. That very well might be true but not really necessary. In my opinion there are a lot of very good components out there and they just need to take advantage of the and maybe change the sizes to fit. They seem to go out of their way to make some unique design and then it barely works.

I am going to run some pink noise through the system and use a frequency analyzer to see just how much bass I get with and without the B&O sub. Then after I install the JL sub, I will run the test again. Not worried about output which I know I will have more but the actual low end frequency. No way that little 6x9 is even anywhere close to 32 Hz.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Yes, I use only JLAudio amps and subs. They have line level inputs as well as low level. After a bit of figuring out what size I wanted to still maintain the dual level of the cargo floor, I decided on the JLAudio ACS110LG-TW1 sub/amp combo. If I were to keep the cargo floor on the upper level I could have gone with a larger sub or even dual subs. Not interested in that. Don't need the output with this system. Just looking for some actual low end bass. I just got through running the power wire from the battery and the OEM sub wires for the audio signal so all ready to drop in the sub when it gets here on Friday.
I used to run a JL 12w7 with a 500w JL monoblock but it got stolen from my trunk so I'm running an image dynamics IMAX 12 with a zapco dc500. I'm not sure if I'll do a big setup on this car since I need the room

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ll post photos when Install the sub on Friday. I’m just replacing the styrofoam container below with the sub.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Mark, Could you also post some pics for the 12V battery connection, and routing to the back and the OEM sub wires for the audio signal? Thanks!

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
Not to get back on the "but the gas Mustang does it differently" train, but I actually liked how when you bought the "Shaker Pro" system on the Mustang, you got the huge subwoofer that was proudly displayed in the trunk.

Sure, you had to buy a different part number cargo mat for it if you had the Shaker Pro, but it looked good and sounded WAY better than Mach-E system does. I hope they didn't downgrade the gas Mustang when they moved to "B&O" like we have.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Can someone explain this odd subwoofer design? Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.44.57 AM

Have you seen the old Shaker 1000 systems? I had one on my 2005. Twin subs that would make a nice thump thump bass. It wasn't the best system in the world but it def. beat out amateur attempts at adding "bass" to their systems without experience and a decent amount of money to shove at the system.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ok the next thing I want on my car is a central heads up display the will show the lyrics karaoke style to whatever is playing on the B&O stereo
Sponsored