Car doesn't lock about 25% of the time

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I can’t get the little lock icon to do anything on my premiums. NOTHING. I’ve tried tapping. I’ve tried pressing. I’ve tried holding it down. I’ve tried pushing for a long time.

I’ll have to try it on the new car today.
Do you have a fob or PaaK on you when you're trying it?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Unreliability of walk away lock has me looking over my shoulder to make sure the mirrors have folded. Then I know it locked. Audible feedback would be easier, But I’m averse to noise.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Oh man I thought it was just the OCD plug pillar covers that was making mine unreliable. Best way I've found them to lock is to swipe thumb across the lock button but even then it's hit or miss.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’ve never had walk-away locking not work. I probably just jinxed it!

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We are talking about the other, easier way.

It’s the little “lock icon” right above the button you push to open the door from the oustside.

Push it and your car locks.
6BD3023B-733F-47D7-9308-4287E8E4035B.jpeg
I specifically use walk away to lock because of HOW MUCH RAGE THIS STUPID ALMOST NEVER WORKING LIE OF A LOCK BUTTON GIVES ME ???

Job 1.5 here, so no special update for me.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I specifically use walk away to lock because of HOW MUCH RAGE THIS STUPID ALMOST NEVER WORKING LIE OF A LOCK BUTTON GIVES ME ???

Job 1.5 here, so no special update for me.
Rage?

Then try one of the other 5 buttons that work 100% of the time I guess?

It is kinda funny how many things on this car take an actual “learned skill.”

1. pillar lock button
2. Closing the frunk
3. Opening and closing charge port door
4. Kick to open/close tailgate

Maybe it’s not the car, you just gots to up your skillz! ?

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Rage?

Then try one of the other 5 buttons that work 100% of the time I guess?

It is kinda funny how many things on this car take an actual “learned skill.”

1. pillar lock button
2. Closing the frunk
3. Opening and closing charge port door
4. Kick to open/close tailgate

Maybe it’s not the car, you just gots to up your skillz! ?
As with most of my posts, it was largely written with a large dose of dry humor.

I use PaaK as my wife gets the fob. The lock button on the app fails pretty regularly as well. The only "works 100% of the time" solution I have is the 7-8 + 9-0 option. The walk away works for me, honestly, over 90% of the time - enough to where, when I don't hear the beep, I pull out my phone and roll the dice (which, admittedly, results in occasionally having to walk back to the car).

Just for fun here is my level of "education" with your list of "learned skills"

1. - Its not me. Its the car ;)
2. - Total mastery
3. - What is the belt below black belt? That's me.
4. - Pre-school level at best - it works TERRIBLY with PaaK to where I've given up. My wife loves to school me on this one with her fancy fob-kick

OP
OP

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
Unreliability of walk away lock has me looking over my shoulder to make sure the mirrors have folded. Then I know it locked. Audible feedback would be easier, But I’m averse to noise.
Do both of your cars have this issue? I've gotten used to listening for the horn, Sometimes it takes a little longer to beep and then I can go about my business.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Do both of your cars have this issue? I've gotten used to listening for the horn, Sometimes it takes a little longer to beep and then I can go about my business.
Both of the premiums. I haven’t driven the GT enough to know yet.
I did just check the lock symbol on the pillar. Works on the GT (build date 12/21) but not on either premium. (Build dates 11/20 and 12/20).

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I used the walk away lock future and always listen for the horn to make sure it locked but about 25% of the time it doesn't. I have to stop and pull out the key fob and then press the lock button and it works. The FOB battery is fine and I'm not doing anything different. It's frustrating because it's so inconsistent. Has anyone else had this happen?
I noticed the same. I first thought it was only happening when a passenger was leaving the car behind me. I had a long thread about it. I turned the sound confirmation on, and now I find out that the car doesn't lock itself quite often for no apparent reason. Every time I drive with my dogs I absolutely need walkaway lock, my hands holding the leashes I can't tinker with the door or fob. This is a very big problem, there are many unsafe places where people try opening parked cars.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I noticed the same. I first thought it was only happening when a passenger was leaving the car behind me. I had a long thread about it. I turned the sound confirmation on, and now I find out that the car doesn't lock itself quite often for no apparent reason. This is a very big problem, there are many unsafe places where people try opening parked cars.

I lock manually every time.... usually using the interior door button as I exit.
I hated the confirmation chirp, and I don't WANT to lock when my car is in the garage.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I lock manually every time.... usually using the interior door button as I exit.
I hated the confirmation chirp, and I don't WANT to lock when my car is in the garage.
Every time I drive with my dogs I absolutely need walkaway lock, my hands holding the leashes I can't tinker with the door or fob.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
As with most of my posts, it was largely written with a large dose of dry humor.

I use PaaK as my wife gets the fob. The lock button on the app fails pretty regularly as well. The only "works 100% of the time" solution I have is the 7-8 + 9-0 option. The walk away works for me, honestly, over 90% of the time - enough to where, when I don't hear the beep, I pull out my phone and roll the dice (which, admittedly, results in occasionally having to walk back to the car).

Just for fun here is my level of "education" with your list of "learned skills"

1. - Its not me. Its the car ;)
2. - Total mastery
3. - What is the belt below black belt? That's me.
4. - Pre-school level at best - it works TERRIBLY with PaaK to where I've given up. My wife loves to school me on this one with her fancy fob-kick
Interesting, we definitely have a different skill set.

1. works perfectly every time
2. Never gotten it right, takes a shove then a final close. Basketball trick doesn’t work for me.
3. Maybe 50% on this one I get it on the first push.
4. Total mastery. Hokey pokey style.

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
Mine locks every time.... BUT it is very annoying how fast it locks. Getting out and walking around to get my wife or kid out of the car, it locks. I try to hug the car as tight as possible, still locks. So I either have to hand my phone off to my wife, digging out of my pocket or I have to stand there like a dumbass while the car locks, and tries to unlock again being all confused. Very annoying. Needs to be like a 10ft distance before it tries to lock.

OP
OP

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
Mine locks every time.... BUT it is very annoying how fast it locks. Getting out and walking around to get my wife or kid out of the car, it locks. I try to hug the car as tight as possible, still locks. So I either have to hand my phone off to my wife, digging out of my pocket or I have to stand there like a dumbass while the car locks, and tries to unlock again being all confused. Very annoying. Needs to be like a 10ft distance before it tries to lock.
Is yours a job 1 or 2 build? Are you only using PAAK or the key FOB? I wish mine would lock quicker, I have to walk away and wait for it to honk.
Sponsored