Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Ordered - thank you! 650 - 195 = 455 after 30% discount. Juicebox for the LEAF and 48A hardwired ChargePoint for the MME. Previous to me this house had an electric furnace and electric hot water heater, both had been replaced with gas versions. The breakers for the old versions are still in the panel, unused now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
If you are planning to buy ChargePoint EVSE, it's currently discounted $50. Including on Amazon.
Ford Mustang Mach-E ChargePoint Discount 1606344283709
Unfortunately, I bought mine just a few days before this temporary price drop. Today I spent some time on the phone with Amazon. After speaking with 3 different Customer Service droids, all I got is that they do not do price match and would rather pay for round trip shipping, and make me order a new one and sent the original back. I finally got to the 4th droid who offered to apply $50.00 promotional certificate for future Amazon purchases. It doesn't apply to items offered by other sellers on the Amazon.com website and won't cover the purchase of gift cards, sales tax, gift wrap, or additional shipping costs, but I'm sure I'll make use of it fairly soon.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So tempted since that CP Flex is on discount....

However, I already have wayyyyyy more battery than I need (88 kWh) and have two functioning EVSEs at home (L1 and L2) so I think I will put my credit card away and just use my existing equipment.

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
So tempted since that CP Flex is on discount....

However, I already have wayyyyyy more battery than I need (88 kWh) and have two functioning EVSEs at home (L1 and L2) so I think I will put my credit card away and just use my existing equipment.
6 years ago, a home EVSE could cost as much as $2K. I'm sure that in thee next 6 years prices will continue dropping. So, unless you actually don't have an L2 EVSE, save your money. When it's time to replace it, you could get one for less money with more features.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Unfortunately, I bought mine just a few days before this temporary price drop. Today I spent some time on the phone with Amazon. After speaking with 3 different Customer Service droids, all I got is that they do not do price match and would rather pay for round trip shipping, and make me order a new one and sent the original back. I finally got to the 4th droid who offered to apply $50.00 promotional certificate for future Amazon purchases. It doesn't apply to items offered by other sellers on the Amazon.com website and won't cover the purchase of gift cards, sales tax, gift wrap, or additional shipping costs, but I'm sure I'll make use of it fairly soon.
We had the same situation but with a different product. Such a silly waste of shipping and hassle.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I ordered a VitaMix and a couple days later it went on a rare sale for $80 less. They wouldn't budge so I ordered a second and returned the first. I think they figure most people won't bother with the hassle, but for $80 it was worth it.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I ordered a VitaMix and a couple days later it went on a rare sale for $80 less. They wouldn't budge so I ordered a second and returned the first. I think they figure most people won't bother with the hassle, but for $80 it was worth it.
We just went through this with a roomba and it was a difference of $200. They still wouldn't issue the refund, so we are ordering a new one just to ship back as a return credit for the first. Definitely a no brainer for $200.

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I think they figure most people won't bother with the hassle, but for $80 it was worth it.
Probably, also most people wouldn't be checking prices after placing the order. However, these days with lockdowns, people have a lot of unused time and let's face it, every penny counts.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I am thinking of buying the ChargePoint with the $50 discount. Anybody have experience with ChargePoint cables for winter flexibility?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I am thinking of buying the ChargePoint with the $50 discount. Anybody have experience with ChargePoint cables for winter flexibility?
Check this out. He puts the cables in the freezer to validate their flexibility. Around the 11:10 timestamp.

Spoiler alert: it does just fine.

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So are most people going ChargePoint over the Ford Charging Station option? I bought (and can still cancel) the Ford offering ($700) because I thought there would be functionality between charging station and MachE I could not get with a 3rd party charger. Not the case?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So are most people going ChargePoint over the Ford Charging Station option? I bought (and can still cancel) the Ford offering ($700) because I thought there would be functionality between charging station and MachE I could not get with a 3rd party charger. Not the case?
I don't really see the value in overpaying for the connectivity features that the car already has, so I had planned to buy the clippercreek. But, the cheapskate in me took over and I bought the grizzl-e. I also don't think 48A will make that much of a difference; as long as the car is recharged by the time I want to leave in the morning I am good - I don't see value in paying hundreds of dollars to have it finish 3 hours before I get up instead of 1.

OP
OP
shutterbug

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I went with Chargepoint because I am already using their app, so providing a credit card wasn't an issue. It's anecdotal, but it seems that plurality of those getting a smart charger are going with one of juice boxes. I didn't even consider Ford, because it started at a higher price, and I don't think it'll be ready by 12/31/2020 and may cause me to miss out on tax credit. Also Chargepoint can be ordered from Amazon, and I think Amazon got the shipping down pat. I ordered on Monday morning and it was delivered on Tuesday evening. juice box can also be ordered from Amazon.

One other thing, not really related to home chargers, a few years ago I had an issue with my Chargpoint account. I called their customer service and the guy on the phone patiently walked me through resolving it. I don't think most of the others even have 24 hr support.
Sponsored