Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE 2023.5
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
After watching 100s (it seems like) videos (reviews and whatnot), I haven't seen one single complaint about the orentation of the charging door.

They complain about everything else, its now powered/automatic, or its hard to open/close, or there's a pony logo inside it, it should be located somewhere else, or whatever. I then watch them maneuver the charging cable around the door, which is in the way, (one instance complaining about how stiff and difficult to bend the cable was while trying to get it around the door) and no one says anything.

It seems like it should either open the other direction, or upward (which might also offer a modicum of extra protection from rain/snow getting into the contact area while you're (un)plugging in.

Just an interesting observation. I wish it opened upward. This is probably the most important thing after 600 or so other considerations on my list.

On the other hand, thinking about that stiff cable, maybe the door forces you to line up the connector before you jam it in.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
After watching 100s (it seems like) videos (reviews and whatnot), I haven't seen one single complaint about the orentation of the charging door.

They complain about everything else, its now powered/automatic, or its hard to open/close, or there's a pony logo inside it, it should be located somewhere else, or whatever. I then watch them maneuver the charging cable around the door, which is in the way, (one instance complaining about how stiff and difficult to bend the cable was while trying to get it around the door) and no one says anything.

It seems like it should either open the other direction, or upward (which might also offer a modicum of extra protection from rain/snow getting into the contact area while you're (un)plugging in.

Just an interesting observation. I wish it opened upward. This is probably the most important thing after 600 or so other considerations on my list.

On the other hand, thinking about that stiff cable, maybe the door forces you to line up the connector before you jam it in.
I agree that it should open upward. It’s awkward in 100% of charging situations we’ve been in; my Rivian opens mostly upwards and is much more convenient

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

I think you're focusing on things that don't matter. If it opened from left to right, and popped open on the highway, it would bend backwards. Since it has opened on people, that would be good.

Ford had a door on PHEVs that rotated out of the way, many us liked that better. I would not want it to open upwards.

You might want to go look at one in person, drive it, and play with the features. And stop watching Youtube videos...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Haha, one can actually learn quite a bit from YouTube videos.
Alas, I get your point...
Here's the problem. [climbs on soap box]

On a forum such as this, there are people who have been here for 2+ years, own the vehicle, and are into the details. Some are experts on software, some on hardware, some on who knows what. The subjects get organized, and people refer someone to existing discussion on the topic to not cause 742 different threads (maybe there's only 50... 🤣 ).

On YouTube, some yahoo decides to film themselves spewing garbage, totally incorrect information. They're dynamic, engaging, and do things to gain followers. Doesn't mean they have a f'in clue what they are talking about. And, most ridiculously, they spend 30 minutes giving you the 10 second answer. Note - sure, there are valuable YouTube videos. People like Tom Mologhney and some others. But for every valuable video, there's 1,000 crap ones.

Then there's Facebook, where every wacko and yahoo posts incorrect information 2/3rds of the time.

This forum is the absolute best place to learn about this vehicle, and watching a few videos on Ford's site. Reading and more reading will make you more knowledgeable than most owners, and many dealers and service departments.

[removes soap box]

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
We probably should have a thread on the best you tube videos. Rule of thumb, at least 6-7 minutes of information on a 10 minute video!

ps - I like my RAV4, 2019, and with all of the ADAs. But you have to do an hour of reading to get ten minutes of information. And I am a fast, skilled reader.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One thing is for certain. In a few years the MMEs will have a worn spot on the charge door.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I not only want my charge door to telepahicly sense when I want to open it and open automatically, I want it to levitate the charge cable and plug in automatically, too. I'm sure Tesla, Rivian and Lucid will all eventually do this. Get with it, Ford.

;)

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Here's the problem. [climbs on soap box]

On a forum such as this, there are people who have been here for 2+ years, own the vehicle, and are into the details. Some are experts on software, some on hardware, some on who knows what. The subjects get organized, and people refer someone to existing discussion on the topic to not cause 742 different threads (maybe there's only 50... 🤣 ).

On YouTube, some yahoo decides to film themselves spewing garbage, totally incorrect information. They're dynamic, engaging, and do things to gain followers. Doesn't mean they have a f'in clue what they are talking about. And, most ridiculously, they spend 30 minutes giving you the 10 second answer. Note - sure, there are valuable YouTube videos. People like Tom Mologhney and some others. But for every valuable video, there's 1,000 crap ones.

Then there's Facebook, where every wacko and yahoo posts incorrect information 2/3rds of the time.

This forum is the absolute best place to learn about this vehicle, and watching a few videos on Ford's site. Reading and more reading will make you more knowledgeable than most owners, and many dealers and service departments.

[removes soap box]
No, no, I hear you loud and clear. And I must admit I’ve learned a lot from this Forum.
Again, thanks for all the help and education along the way…

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I not only want my charge door to telepahicly sense when I want to open it and open automatically, I want it to levitate the charge cable and plug in automatically, too. I'm sure Tesla, Rivian and Lucid will all eventually do this. Get with it, Ford.

;)
Tesla’s basically does “telepathically sense.” When you get nearby with an activated charger, it opens.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The direction it opens now is perfect for where my charger is located. I’ve had the door open on its own before so opening towards the back would not be good.
issues with the outward hinge design is that it flaps in the wind and it’s susceptible to damage from over extension.