Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I’m trying to decide between a hardwire and a plug-in install. I have to get a circuit installed either way. In my research, I noticed these differences between ChargePoint and Ford’s Connected Charge Station. Just looking at the recharge rates below, is the ChargePoint EVSE 48A really that much more powerful/faster than Ford’s EVSE 48A install?

Also, I’m wanting a contactor design instead of solid state design but I haven’t found which type these two are so if you know their design that would be helpful too.

Ford:
48A Hardwired 28MPH
30A Mobile Plug-In 20MPH

ChargePoint:
48A Hardwired 36MPH
40A Plug-In 30MPH
32A Plug-In 25MPH
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford's numbers are specific to the Mach-E, and are approximate calculated values (read the footnotes).
ChargePoint's numbers are approximate.

Neither will be correct, because it will depend on the actual watts delivered to the vehicle, which won't be what leaves the wall.

On the Ford charger, you missed the part where the 12A is using 120v, not 240v, whereas the ChargePoint is still using 240v.

Before you pick a charger, make sure you see whether your utility company provides rebates or sells chargers at a discount. Mine required either the ChargePoint Flex, or any JuiceBox.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
Great clarification. I saw the footnotes and didn’t mention them. They kinda made it harder to make a decision. I didn’t mention the voltages either since I figured the voltage could be inferred by the amps.

Do you think ChargePoint would be faster overall?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The ChargePoint Home Flex and Ford Connected Charge Station both would be charging at the exact same speed if on 48amps. As it happens, 48amps is the fastest L2 charge rate that the Mach-E can handle.

Don’t think of chargers as providing miles per hour in charge, that’s not a good way to compare them because it varies between every type of car, and even between variants of the same car.

It’s like with gas, we don’t talk about going to the gas station to fill up an extra 100 miles, we talk in terms of gallons. This is because 1 gallon goes a lot further on a Toyota Prius than a Ford Expedition. It’s like if a gas station advertised, $4.50 per 35 miles of range - well, whether you get 35 miles, or more, or less depends on your car’s MPG. It’s the exact same when it comes to electricity flowing into a battery - depends on the car how far that same amount of electricity will take you.

So long story short, when you are looking at different chargers, comparing the amp rate between them is key (assuming we are talking about 240v charging).

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
This conversation is referring to 240v. I’m not considering 110v since that is too slow for my needs. Maybe I should edit the original post and remove that part.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should also understand that some chargers allow a modification of the charging speed, up or down, via the app. Some chargers require you to set DIP switches.

JuiceBox chargers do it via the app. I believe Ford is DIP switches.

Do you think ChargePoint would be faster overall?
No. With the same amperage, they will deliver the exact same amount of charge per hour.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
I’m trying to decide between a hardwire and a plug-in install. I have to get a circuit installed either way. In my research, I noticed these differences between ChargePoint and Ford’s Connected Charge Station. Just looking at the recharge rates below, is the ChargePoint EVSE 48A really that much more powerful/faster than Ford’s EVSE 48A install?

Also, I’m wanting a contactor design instead of solid state design but I haven’t found which type these two are so if you know their design that would be helpful too.

Ford:
48A Hardwired 28MPH
30A Mobile Plug-In 20MPH

ChargePoint:
48A Hardwired 36MPH
40A Plug-In 30MPH
32A Plug-In 25MPH
I just had a ChargePoint installed in prep for mine. The electrician said he always prefers hardwiring anything. One less point to fail. You can always add a plug later if you can't deal with the hardwired.

The other thing you have to figure out is what your house will support. I could only put in a 50 amp connection. The ChargePoint can connect up to 80 amps, but I would have to spend a boat load of money upgrading my panel in the house. Not worth the extra 7 miles an hour.

Difference between 60A and 50A is only 6 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Speeds between EVSE Brands 1639866503520

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Speeds between EVSE Brands 1639866517034

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Speeds between EVSE Brands 1639866523776

Last edited:

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Also, have a conversation with the electrician, I had a long run from my panel in the basement to the garage. He used aluminum wire, like they use when they connect your AC unit to your house, from the panel to a box with a cut off plug, then copper to the unit.

Copper right now is very expensive

$850 to install 50A breaker, plus move a few to make room, about 85 feet of wire to the garage, that cut off box, and copper and conduit to the unit.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Speeds between EVSE Brands 1639867808649

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You should also understand that some chargers allow a modification of the charging speed, up or down, via the app. Some chargers require you to set DIP switches.

JuiceBox chargers do it via the app. I believe Ford is DIP switches.

No. With the same amperage, they will deliver the exact same amount of charge per hour.
The max current of the FCCS is set by DIP switches, but it can be set lower in the app. This (DIP switch limit) gives the flexibility to install it on a lower power circuit in case a 60A is not available.

I got corrected on this a week or so ago.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Also consider cord length. I bought my GrizzlE specifically due to it having a longer cable giving a bit more freedom in parking.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Also consider cord length. I bought my GrizzlE specifically due to it having a longer cable giving a bit more freedom in parking.
Agree….the 20’ cable length is the one thing I don’t like about the FCCS. Another two feet and I’d be able to charge a car in either stall of my garage.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree. My JuiceBox 48 has a 25' cord. Actually, around 24' 3".

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Ford:
48A Hardwired 28MPH
30A Mobile Plug-In 20MPH

ChargePoint:
48A Hardwired 36MPH
40A Plug-In 30MPH
32A Plug-In 25MPH
The ChargePoint Home Flex and Ford Connected Wall unit are both contactor type. Those units just supply power to the charging unit which is located in the car.

So, the charger is in the car which means the charging speed is the same between the two EVSE units listed above (all else being equal).

Even though the ChargePoint Home Flex is capable of providing 50A.....the Mach-E can't accept that much power so it will draw 48A.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I guess now I need to go with the FCCS in hopes Ford puts out new features to it to use with the Mach-E or go with Chargepoint for a longer cord and smaller footprint.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I guess now I need to go with the FCCS in hopes Ford puts out new features to it to use with the Mach-E or go with Chargepoint for a longer cord and smaller footprint.
Check out what Emporia is offering. I have their charger and it is Wifi enabled and linked their their power monitoring app. You can hardwire it or plug it in. The hardwire lets you charge at 48 amps. I am very happy with it.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/emporia-ev-charger

20211210_194845.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-195959.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-201637.jpg