Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The mobile charger is not adjustable.
The Ford Connected Charge Station IS adjustable.
with the FCCS the DIP switches set the maximum draw but the FordPass app can be used to dial back the power from the maximum limit.
Got it, thanks. I've also learned some things by reading the MME owner's manual, too. I've given up on the notion that I could use my old 240v/30amp dryer outlet. The Ford charging station capable of satisfying the MME 48amp charging draw must be on a wired-in 60amp circuit breaker. NO WALL PLUG allowed for this circuit. The MME Mobile Charger must be on a 240v/40amp circuit in order to charge at the 32amp level it's capable of. Apparently, the MME charger will also not function (even if limited to 24 amps) if a converter plug is used to connect to a 10-30 wall outlet since this dryer circuit does not have a ground.
Sponsored

Attachments

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I know this goes against the "more is always better" sentiment most have for charging speed, but I do just the opposite. I have a 40A Grizzl-E on a 50A circuit, but I dialed it down to 24A. And I may even dial it down to 16A.

Even though I have a good-quality 14-50 outlet and rarely unplug the EVSE, more power means more heat generated on any weak points in the connection. Even though 40A is probably 99.9% safe, lower power is even safer. If I don't really have a reason to charge faster (which I don't), it makes sense to use lower power. Seen enough burn-scarred 14-50 EVSE outlets to know it's a potential weak point. 8-12 hours of continuous high power draw puts a lot of strain on cables/connections.

We don't have TOD pricing (same rate 24x7). We're also retired and don't drive many miles a day around home. We only charge about once a week. I have my schedule set to 90% from 11pm-1pm. I usually plug in when I get below 50%.

I know that's all being overly cautious, but if not really needed, lower is safer. And I can always dial it back up if needed.
If you plugged in every night you may only be drawing current for 30mins at a time instead of a constant 6 hour+ pull to go from 50% to 90%. That’s more or less what I do, because I plug in at work and lowered my charge setting at home so my car only charges a minimal amount at my house (free energy to get to work :)). Although I use the Ford mobile charger, so I can’t limit the current, but seems like you could do both. Limit current and charge time, which I think would significantly reduce heat build up.

AeroEng

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybd, Accord, Silverado, MME Prem AWD ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Got it, thanks. I've also learned some things by reading the MME owner's manual, too. I've given up on the notion that I could use my old 240v/30amp dryer outlet. The Ford charging station capable of satisfying the MME 48amp charging draw must be on a wired-in 60amp circuit breaker. NO WALL PLUG allowed for this circuit. The MME Mobile Charger must be on a 240v/40amp circuit in order to charge at the 32amp level it's capable of. Apparently, the MME charger will also not function (even if limited to 24 amps) if a converter plug is used to connect to a 10-30 wall outlet since this dryer circuit does not have a ground.
Your other option is to purchase a unit like the Grizzl-E and set those dip switches to charge at only 24 or 16 Amps. Still much better than 110V/12A. No change to your existing circuit. Just a thought.

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Your other option is to purchase a unit like the Grizzl-E and set those dip switches to charge at only 24 or 16 Amps. Still much better than 110V/12A. No change to your existing circuit. Just a thought.
Yes. I am hoping to hear that this method will work. MME owner's manual says the mobile evse/charger won't work with an ungrounded outlet. The old 10-30 dryer plug is not grounded.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes. I am hoping to hear that this method will work. MME owner's manual says the mobile evse/charger won't work with an ungrounded outlet. The old 10-30 dryer plug is not grounded.
If installed properly, every dryer receptacle circuit has a ground. The neutral is what’s missing on older circuits.

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
If installed properly, every dryer receptacle circuit has a ground. The neutral is what’s missing on older circuits.
Nope, a NEMA 10-30 is two lines and a neutral, no ground. They aren't allowed in new installations, but there are plenty still out there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_10

If you're comfortable removing the outlet (turn the power off first, of course), you could check to see if there is a ground wire present. If there is, installing a 14-30 receptacle (two lines, neutral, and ground) isn't hard.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Nope, a NEMA 10-30 is two lines and a neutral, no ground. They aren't allowed in new installations, but there are plenty still out there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_10

If you're comfortable removing the outlet (turn the power off first, of course), you could check to see if there is a ground wire present. If there is, installing a 14-30 receptacle (two lines, neutral, and ground) isn't hard.
You're absolutely right - when these receptacles first came into existence, residential systems didn’t even have a ground wire run with any circuit! Neutral was all there was. However, when they were wired (even after the use of ground wires came to be) the cable used had 2 insulated conductors and a bare wire. The bare wire was connected to the ground bus, not the neutral in the case of a sub panel with separated grounds and neutrals.
So, in spite of the NEMA designation, a ground wire was almost always run to these receptacles once grounding became a thing. It was used as both a ground and neutral if the appliance had any 120V loads.
It doesn’t make much difference when powering an EVSE - it will only serve as a ground wire.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I liked this question. I’ve been on the fence about hardwired vs plug-in.

Since you asked, you helped me decide to go hardwired because my round-trip from home to work is 30 miles. If I go out for lunch while at work, i come closer to 33-36 miles. I travel to see family a couple times a month on weekends, almost 170 miles round-trip, and that’s not including incidental small trips to Walmart or restaurants while visiting. So that 6 mph charge difference can allow me to charge to 100% the Thursday night before my weekend trip and when I get home Friday afternoon, I can plug-in for an hour while I clean up, pack, and load the car. This 170ish mile round-trip could cause some range anxiety due to cold weather this time of year even on my ER battery. I’d rather not use public charging since it cost quite a bit more than at home. And there isn’t many charge stations along my weekend trip route. Charging at my destination is a no-go as well. Summertime temps would allow me to skip charging before leaving, if I chose to do so.

That 6mph difference comes down to 12 extra minutes of charging before hitting the road. Doesn’t sound like much, but if I time my trip correctly, it can mean a big difference in heavy traffic patterns.

Chargepoint claims a charging rate of up to 36mph for hardwired at 48A and 30mph at 40A hardwired or plug-in. That seems like aggressive marketing. If Ford thinks charging at 48A with the FCCS will only get me around 28 miles in one hour, that’s a big 8 mile gap between the two brands. Plus, the asterisk for that 28mph claim by Ford says the rate decreases as the battery reaches full capacity. So hardwiring for 48A will get me on the road the soonest and not necessarily 36 mph in one hour, regardless if I choose FCCS or Chargepoint.
The miles of range added per charging hour varies by the car. The ChargePoint claim of "up to 36 miles of range per hour" @ 48A might be true for some cars but not the Mach-E. For the Mach-E, expect around 30 miles of range per hour @48A irregardless of which EVSE you are using.

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Check out what Emporia is offering. I have their charger and it is Wifi enabled and linked their their power monitoring app. You can hardwire it or plug it in. The hardwire lets you charge at 48 amps. I am very happy with it.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/emporia-ev-charger

20211210_194845.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-195959.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-201637.jpg
Check out what Emporia is offering. I have their charger and it is Wifi enabled and linked their their power monitoring app. You can hardwire it or plug it in. The hardwire lets you charge at 48 amps. I am very happy with it. Get 30mph.

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/emporia-ev-charger

20211210_194845.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-195959.jpg

Screenshot_20211210-201637.jpg
Have the same unit. cost less than Ford or flex point and very happy @ 40amps w/SR battery.

Last edited: