First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Right.

"Range" just isn't something ICE owners have top of mind. MPG, yes. Range, no. It's kind of the opposite with EV drivers.

Sure: the math is clear - the Model Y is more efficient with its electricity usage. That's the tradeoff for being ugly. But the market has spoken, at least for now, efficiency is not what it cares about -- it cares about range, and the Tesla heat pump doesn't give it an advantage in real world testing.
I dunno, in my version of the "real world" I deal with temperatures that are above freezing and heat pumps work better than resistive heat there.

Perhaps surprisingly, the Model Y will be in the top 5 by volume car models of any type sold worldwide this year. Its the number 1 model globally by revenue already. More likely than not, it will be the best selling model by volume (of all makes and models globally) in 2023.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/05/tesla-model-y-on-track-worlds-best-selling-car/
Sponsored

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
”That's the tradeoff for being ugly. But the market has spoken, at least for now, efficiency is not what it cares about -- it cares about range”

I agree 100% thats why we drive Mach E’s…… Rather than desire “orthopedic shoe” looking cars. America has always picked style as number One.

when I first saw a Mach E on a lot, the “style” is what attracted me As well as a test drive that blew me away. Second was the range. I still have my brochure with my Winter range calcs written on it. I upgraded to the ER for more range……range is still king as most charge at home.

Last edited:

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I've plotted this. Things to note, the range is calculated in my spreadsheet not from FP or GOM, the graph includes journeys with local driving and total journeys of over 600 miles at 60-70mph, temp is the "average" about the time of the charge. It was done out of curiosity.
Ford Mustang Mach-E CR report on EV range tests Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 19.06.33

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
On the 24th of August I did achieve this. :)
The FP screen was the end of the charge, the GOM was in the morning.:)

Ford Mustang Mach-E CR report on EV range tests tempImagexODoJP

Ford Mustang Mach-E CR report on EV range tests Screenshot 2022-08-29 at 19.19.20

Last edited:

csilvest

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rapid Red MME GT (Non-PE), '16 Mustang GT Conv
Occupation
IT Support
Country flag
Does anyone know if the results from the CR EV Range test in post #3 were for 2021 MY? If so, wouldn't the extra 3kWh in the 2022 give it a small range boost? I know, at most it might be 10 miles, just wondering.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
Ford just posted this and I confirmed it on consumer reports (but it's behind a paywall so can't link to it).
The full CR report is available here: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ctric-vehicle-range-a4873569949/?EXTKEY=AFLIP
I believe you can read if without their on-line subscription.

Two minor observations of mine (which others may have already noted):
1. The Tesla Ys deviation between advertised and tested is enormous! I'm surprised that users aren't suing!
2. The cold weather tests were performed apparently at a 72F interior setting. That's really warm, IMHO. In the colder months, folks are generally wearing appropriate outer-ware. I'd be really sweating at 72. An interior setting of 66F or so works well and uses up less juice!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Personal preference enters the picture, for sure. If my wife is in the passenger seat, the E-heat is needed at 50! 😀
ROFL, my sister requires the A/C at 50. I was mean and made her bake when driving to/from WA to get my dog. She was comfortable when we were in the 25 degree weather and I was chattering my teeth. 😱🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Gas range does drop in winter. Both from the cold, and from winter gas. My 18-19 miles per gallon on my F-150 drops to 14-15. While maybe not 30%, most people are clueless about winter MPG. In fact, most go "what's winter gas, we don't have that here in ____".
That’s the benefit of driving an inefficient brick like my Blazer. It just gets crap fuel mileage no matter what. 🤪🐩

1Mowavr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium RWD long range batery
Country flag
Note - if you belong to a public library, you may have FREE access to the entire Consumer Reports database. Visit your library's website. Once logged into the site, you click on the CR link and sometimes put in your library's info and you're good to go.
Rick,
Amazing information. One of the coolest pieces of information on such an unexpected thread (or site). Just logged into my local libraury- worked like a charm. THANKS

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Rick,
Amazing information. One of the coolest pieces of information on such an unexpected thread (or site). Just logged into my local libraury- worked like a charm. THANKS
The library also gives you access to lots of other things, including

Ford Mustang Mach-E CR report on EV range tests 51oWsw-AmZL._SL350_

Seriously, it's amazing what public libraries have available. I happen to use a lot of resources mine has, including DVD borrowing, Ebooks, and tools - infrared devices, etc.

I also pay a lot on my taxes for it, about $600 per year. So I'm going to use the crap out of it.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The library also gives you access to lots of other things, including

Ford Mustang Mach-E CR report on EV range tests 51oWsw-AmZL._SL350_

Seriously, it's amazing what public libraries have available. I happen to use a lot of resources mine has, including DVD borrowing, Ebooks, and tools - infrared devices, etc.

I also pay a lot on my taxes for it, about $600 per year. So I'm going to use the crap out of it.
Also, many public libraries provide "Culture Passes" to local attractions. These may be checked out. Such attractions include museums, arboretums, etc.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
In case anyone was wondering, CR updated their article to include Cold Weather testing for the Ioniq 5. This data supports my theory that the benefit of the heat pump is overblown. They all suck in the cold.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...e-affects-electric-vehicle-range-a4873569949/
Thanks for the update, I'll save the link to share with those that claim... but my X brand EV gets sooo much better winter/summer/highspeed range. At the minute, EVs are a lot more similar than they are different.
Sponsored

Reactions: SWO