CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Noticed a crack on roof today. Very straight then starts curling off in two directions further back. Will see if dealer thinks it is a warranty item.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cracked Roof PXL_20210729_000604283
Sponsored

OP
OP

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Object must have hit the roof glass. Tiny spot about an inch in from front edge appears to be impact spot. Insurance claim, glass company coordinating with dealer. Will see how long this takes to fix.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
I'm so worried about all these glass roof issues! I have had a panoramic glass roof that actually opens for almost 6 years on my Tesla Model S and have had no issues.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm so worried about all these glass roof issues! I have had a panoramic glass roof that actually opens for almost 6 years on my Tesla Model S and have had no issues.
No need to worry about it until it happens. Cracked glass happens on ALL vehicles from time to time, even the one you're currently driving.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OP
OP

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
I feel so lucky! I have had other issues with my car but never a worry about the roof cracking. Time to get off the doom and gloom forum, I guess
No intention of doom and gloom on my part.

The dealer did a 'ball point pen' test and did find the spot of impact. Rock or other road debris.

What seems a little different from a windshield crack is the gap forming. There is a small but noticeable space forming between the two sides of the crack. A little frustrating such a tiny point of impact caused this. I would be just as happy without panoramic roof, not an appealing feature in my opinion. Everyone in back seat loves it though!

Happy with vehicle overall. If anyone has gone through the pano replacement already and has tips or suggestions for a smooth replacement happy to see them.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The dealer did a 'ball point pen' test and did find the spot of impact. Rock or other road debris.

What seems a little different from a windshield crack is the gap forming. There is a small but noticeable space forming between the two sides of the crack. A little frustrating such a tiny point of impact caused this. I would be just as happy without panoramic roof, not an appealing feature in my opinion. Everyone in back seat loves it though!

Happy with vehicle overall. If anyone has gone through the pano replacement already and has tips or suggestions for a smooth replacement happy to see them.
I did not mean to imply you were Eeyore! I only meant that sometimes these forums can be too much "problems" and not enough "love" for the respective cars. I am grateful to learn from all of you before mine gets here. No disrespect intended

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Currently going through the replacement process. I got a rock-induced crack in the front driver's-side corner back around July 4th. Thankfully, it is fairly isolated and doesn't seem interested in spidering any further at this time. I had my dealership look up the part for a time estimate and found a preferred auto glass shop to take on the task (after clearing with insurance). Evidently the panos are on back-order with a (at the time) 6 week lead time, so I may have more to say in a few weeks. My only tip so far would be to get that part on order ASAP.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I guess roll on the duct tape down the middle until the repair is scheduled? Easy racing stripe? His and Her ( I know not PC today) pano roofs? Just adding a little humor to the unfortunate incident. Please keep us posted on the repair time and process.

I assume the crack is only in the top laminate glass, so no chance of water intrusion.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

It was under stress and the impact released the stress. I would bet it wouldn't have cracked if not under stress.

Ohworld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E AWD Ext range Premium
Country flag
Currently going through the replacement process. I got a rock-induced crack in the front driver's-side corner back around July 4th. Thankfully, it is fairly isolated and doesn't seem interested in spidering any further at this time. I had my dealership look up the part for a time estimate and found a preferred auto glass shop to take on the task (after clearing with insurance). Evidently the panos are on back-order with a (at the time) 6 week lead time, so I may have more to say in a few weeks. My only tip so far would be to get that part on order ASAP.
Did your dealership say that this is covered under the warranty?

MachEMomma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
What I want to know is how an obviously tiny rock managed to crack the glass? I do not see anything in the photo so it had to be a small rock. Small rocks hit my windshield all the time and they have not cracked the glass. This is concerning.

OP
OP

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Impacts are not covered by warranty. I would recommend investing in an insurance policy with a low comprehensive deductible.
Dealer did the ball point pen test and said it was due to impact. This was as simple as placing a pen in the crack, rolling it along until it got stuck. I can see that same little pit, and I have no reason to believe it cracked entirely on it's own. I have wondered why a gap is forming at the crack. I don't recall a windshield crack leaving a gap, where the two sides are pulling apart from each other. This crack could fit a couple sheets of paper in the space that is forming. Not huge, but tells me it is pulling from each side. This does lead me to believe stress on the glass exists, and likely wouldn't have split like this otherwise.

Rocks will hit the front, the windshield, this is my first experience with a pano roof. Hadn't even thought a typical rock on the freeway would wipe out the pano roof. I may look into one of those films to cover the portion that dips downward at the front to minimize this kind of nuisance in the future.

No indication so far it will be warranty. Ford authorized glass company, dealer, and insurance are figuring it out currently.

OP
OP

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
The glass company informed me they would not do the pano roof. They failed to tell me this, and only when I asked about the part order status did they tell me this. Supposedly a Ford Specialty glass shop? So back to insurance to start the process again.
Sponsored