IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Guys, I performed the update and I'm happy to announce that the charging cliff at 80% for DCFC has been improved! Between 28-30kW! Screenshot of EA station and Car Scanner stats.

20211123_184713.JPG

Screenshot_20211123-184746.png

Edit: the battery may have been cold gating. Power going in has increased to 40kW, battery temp is 66F now.
That's great! At what level did it significantly drop off? 85? 90?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Expanding the DCFC cliff would be a welcome improvement. But why doesnā€™t Ford just specify that they did that rather than leaving us to try to ferret it out?!

My biggest frustrations currently:
  • Still having a lot of PAAK detection problems (car not waking up on approach, ā€œno key detectedā€ to start even after the car recognized the key to unlock the door, no key detected after I start driving, ā€œrestart now or key needed,ā€ etc.
  • Alarm interior motions sensor refuses to stay toggled Off.
  • Occasional bugginess with SYNC connecting to phone for Apple CarPlay.
Any word on improvement in these areas after the update?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Hard to keep up with so many moving parts. Should settle now to determine stability at one point you would think.
If you are referring to the flurry of software updates I agree - there was another thread debating software development approaches (ā€œWaterfallā€ vs. ā€œAgileā€) and this (to me at least) is one point for regular, larger updates (call it Waterfall if you want) vs an almost constant stream of smaller updates (call it Agile). There is no way dealers (and customers) are going to able to keep it all straight if every car rolling into the dealership is running a potentially different version of all the software quietly running behind the scenes. Not against Agile methodology, but there is a time and place for it. This ainā€™t it :)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Expanding the DCFC cliff would be a welcome improvement. But why doesnā€™t Ford just specify that they did that rather than leaving us to try to ferret it out?!

My biggest frustrations currently:
  • Still having a lot of PAAK detection problems (car not waking up on approach, ā€œno key detectedā€ to start even after the car recognized the key to unlock the door, no key detected after I start driving, ā€œrestart now or key needed,ā€ etc.
  • Alarm interior motions sensor refuses to stay toggled Off.
  • Occasional bugginess with SYNC connecting to phone for Apple CarPlay.
Any word on improvement in these areas after the update?
See post #1 in this thread. See the ā€˜reasons for this programā€™ section, paragraph two.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...gram-21p22-software-calibration-update.11677/

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Really explain for those not so good in math. If I can do 70 miles on 70 KWh I can't get 90 miles on 90 KWh? How does consumption work? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Itā€™s extremely hard to follow what you are complaining about to be honest, Iā€™m assuming English isnā€™t your first language. Iā€™m not trying to be insulting by saying that either, itā€™s just difficult to follow the point youā€™re trying to make here.. the MME will DCFC to 100% of the usable battery capacity. Consumption has nothing to do with charge speed. All electric cars charging speeds on DCFC reduce as state of charge increases. There are very well documented graphs provided by car and driver (below) among other sources like InsideEV. They also recommend only DCFC to max of 90% total usable capacity, not because you canā€™t charge more but because it damages the battery to charge quickly above 80-90% frequently. It is a by product of battery chemistry and requirements for the batteries to last a certain amount of time without needing a replacement, smart phones do the same thing with smart charging to preserve the battery life. Similar to manufacturers recommending not driving an ICE cars at redline RPMs all the time.

The Mach-E just has/had a significantly reduced rate of charge after 80% of usable battery. Also, usable battery will not likely ever increase much. Again, all EVs have a portion of total battery capacity not included in usable space as designed for longevity purposes, itā€™s not unique to the Mach-E. The Mach-E will likely have much better long term performance of the drivetrain all things else equal because of that larger reserve capacity.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 - Software Calibration Update 300BBDA6-320E-43C2-802B-0529A60481AB

Ford Mustang Mach-E Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 - Software Calibration Update 17B9A37C-8E28-4B7B-98E7-308B46EFDE13

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877370/2021-car-and-driver-ev-of-the-year-contenders/

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
Would anyone be kind enough to check my VIN to see if these are available for my pony? It's already at the dealer getting a rattle checked out and they have not told me about any software update. I would rather just tell them to do it if it's already there. Thanks!!

VIN: 3FMTK3SU6MMA42826

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why are you noting 90% for? All ev I know except the MME will DCFC to 100%. No higher mathematic. The difference between 90 KW and 70 KW is 20 KW. 1.3 times 70 equals 90. 30% increase in range?

Ready interesting how defensive some are about a current short coming. It is starting to be a bit humorous. Wonder if it is because they are good with the current charging curve or just such big fans they are blind. People whine about a battery in a smart phone and that is no problem but if someone mentions that we only have 70 KWh useable of the 100 KWh battery we bought than numerous come to the defense. Wonder if the battery drain on the android would of got fixed if no one complained or if they did some ran trying to defend it. Something that needs to be fixed since launch hoping this update does it. One has said yes?
The MME will DCFC to 100% just takes a long time to get there after 80%. I owned a Tesla prior to the MME and it took about an hour to go from 90% to 100%. With these software updates that will allow the MME to fast charge quicker from 80 to 90% it will take about another hour to go from 90 to 100%. But the MME today can fast charge to 100% just takes a long time.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Would anyone be kind enough to check my VIN to see if these are available for my pony? It's already at the dealer getting a rattle checked out and they have not told me about any software update. I would rather just tell them to do it if it's already there. Thanks!!

VIN: 3FMTK3SU6MMA42826
Yes, It appears your car has not received the CSP 21P22 (PCM, ABS, SOBDMC, BECM, OBCC, SOBDM, SOBDMB, and RFA) and the GSM update.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Just spoke with my dealer and they are on hour 2 of the update running. No errors just still going 13 modules to update. Hope it ends well...
Out of curiosity, how long did it take in the end. Iā€™m bringing mine in soon and Iā€™m planning on waiting.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Itā€™s extremely hard to follow what you are complaining about to be honest, Iā€™m assuming English isnā€™t your first language. Iā€™m not trying to be insulting by saying that either, itā€™s just difficult to follow the point youā€™re trying to make here.. the MME will DCFC to 100% of the usable battery capacity. Consumption has nothing to do with charge speed. All electric cars charging speeds on DCFC reduce as state of charge increases. There are very well documented graphs provided by car and driver (below) among other sources like InsideEV. They also recommend only DCFC to max of 90% total usable capacity, not because you canā€™t charge more but because it damages the battery to charge quickly above 80-90% frequently. It is a by product of battery chemistry and requirements for the batteries to last a certain amount of time without needing a replacement, smart phones do the same thing with smart charging to preserve the battery life. Similar to manufacturers recommending not driving an ICE cars at redline RPMs all the time.

The Mach-E just has/had a significantly reduced rate of charge after 80% of usable battery. Also, usable battery will not likely ever increase much. Again, all EVs have a portion of total battery capacity not included in usable space as designed for longevity purposes, itā€™s not unique to the Mach-E. The Mach-E will likely have much better long term performance of the drivetrain all things else equal because of that larger reserve capacity.
You know when you have to resort to making personal comments about someone character you lost the debate. Not trying to be insulting by saying that either.

I pre-ordered a 99 KWh battery to travel. That went down to 88 KWh useable with a larger than expected buffer after ordered and now I am only able to charge that 88 KWh up to 80% for travel by all practical purposes. So only 70 KWh useable of the 99 KWh pack when you need it on trips which is less then the model Y 75 KWh and a whole lot less efficient.

The MME does not DCFC pass 80% right now it goes down to L2 level charging after 80% and is therefore close to useless and not my definition of useable for the top 20% of an already large buffered pack. Shift the L2 cliff at 90% would be an improvement but still not a selling point and poorer than any other EV in your graph.

Done with stating the obvious to fan boys that will try to defend just about anything. Start with a thumbs up it may be fixed finally and ended up with this. Love is blind the neighbors are not. I'm out.

Sponsored