Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
After reading that message, they might as well of added another bullet:

*Don't speed and bring a jacket!*
Sorry, the Forum Authority already decided that wearing a jacket in the car is foolish. No exceptions. ;)
Sponsored

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
They may have learned that need for thorough testing from mine.
Service foreman: Software's updated, you're good to go. ?
Marlin: No I'm not. I'm not going anywhere. ?
If it's any consolation, your incredibly detailed updates have quite a few of us rooting for Marlin! I believe your "Trending on Google". We're with you and cheering for you Marlin and Ford!

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
this image is AMAZING.... Ford should pay you for this Art.

I have a 120V plug in my Fusion Hybrid (dont ask), maybe i can replicate the image once i receive mine. lol
Okay, all of Florida's Road Ranger highway assistance vehicles should be Ford PowerBoost F150s. This is amazing!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
14B227 would be the DC to DC converter, that 10E994 is close to it. 10B689 is the charger module.
I’m told actually a gateway module, I’m wrong on the part I focused on.
highland58 has the correct part.
I told you incorrectly. The order sheet said gateway module but what you actually received is the OBCC (Off Board Charge Conroller). If I read the service manual correctly, this is for DC fast charging only.

The OBCC incorporates a Electric Vehicle Communication Controller (EVCC) to communicate with the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Supply Equipment Communication Controller (SECC) via Power-line communication (PLC).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park 1613779965645

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
highland58 has the correct part.
I told you incorrectly. The order sheet said gateway module but what you actually received is the OBCC (Off Board Charge Conroller). If I read the service manual correctly, this is for DC fast charging only.

The OBCC incorporates a Electric Vehicle Communication Controller (EVCC) to communicate with the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Supply Equipment Communication Controller (SECC) via Power-line communication (PLC).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park 1613779965645
That's a good illustration of why the frunk is smaller in person than we expect it to be. Even though there's no engine, there's still a lot of stuff tucked in behind it.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That's a good illustration of why the frunk is smaller in person than we expect it to be. Even though there's no engine, there's still a lot of stuff tucked in behind it.
It's similar to why there is no Frunk in a Leaf even though there is no engine. Open the hood of the Leaf and it's full of STUFF!

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well Mark, looks like your readout on the app had two things going for you. You got points and your car is fully charged. Beyond that, not so sure.
The other messages basically just tell me when they've hooked everything up and started working on the car. It's throwing those messages when they re-energize the system.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Friday evening update: Marlin won't be home this weekend.

I spent 20 minutes late this afternoon chatting with the Field Service Engineer who has been working with Marlin at Koons Ford all week. It looks like Marlin had a "common" (my word) problem followed by a unique problem.

First a correction. The FSE working on Marlin wasn't sent down from Dearborn as someone at Koons had told me. He's one of a couple of FSEs assigned to this area (makes much more sense).

The "common" problem:
I don't say this meaning it is common to all the early build Mach Es. However, it has been seen in multiple Mach Es (perhaps @eponyinIL and others here who have had drained LVBs) and is being solved with a software update. My understanding of the problem explains why it looks like there are two problems: a vampire loss from the LVB and the HVB isn't keeping the LVB charged. It is really just one problem: sometimes, after charging ends for whatever reason, a system related to the DC-DC converter is somehow remaining open and draining the LVB. That explains why the LVB is draining and the DC-DC converter isn't keeping it recharged off the HVB. The solution is a software upgrade with the latest version that should eliminate this situation. It sounds like the same solution applied to @eponyinIL's Mach E and is how they solved Marlin's battery drain issue.

The unique problem:
Unfortunately, when one of the Koons employees went to drive Marlin around from the shop for me to take him home, something activated the electronic parking brake pawl. This is not the drive problem other cars have had and has only been seen in a couple of EU preproduction models with very different control modules. The good news is there has been no sign the battery issue is still there and they managed to get the problem cleared today and test drove Marlin but they can't fully reproduce the issue or identify the problem, even with a bunch of sophisticated sensor equipment plugged into Marlin and the enhanced logging software. With a desire to give it more intense diagnostics to find and solve the second issue, the FSE asked my permission to move Marlin up to Ford's Washington, DC area Training Facility up in Frederick, MD. There, the FSE and regional service trainer, collaborating with the Dearborn team, can better work on Marlin to get to the bottom of the issue. They'll probably take him up there Monday.

I did volunteer to take Marlin over the weekend and do some driving so they can gather more data. I also offered to drive him up to Frederick. The FSE indicated such a decision was well over his head and suspects the answer will be no ?. It was worth asking, though :D.

The FSE was great to talk with, very apologetic this was happening but very reassuring that the Ford engineering team is doing everything they can to diagnose and solve the problem.

I definitely won't have Marlin back (for good) before next week. It looks like I may have to scratch the plan to get PPF and ceramic before heading to Florida. The Florida trip may still be possible. ?

I should get regular, perhaps daily, updates from them next week.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Unfortunately I have no interest in driving a fossilmobile, regardless of spec. I sincerely hope dealers don't keep trying to get Mach-E owners into ICE loaners, that will be a quick way to get owners upset about the downgrade.
BEVs, 30% coal fired.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag