JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The Mach-E, however, is just the first of many. Including an F-150 BEV... BEV's won't be a small percentage of Ford's sales for long.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I have used a number of Ford L2 chargers after hours with my PHEV. In general these are located close to or at the service entrance. I have never seen a Ford L3 charger and can not remember coming across one on Plugshare.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Are these L2 and L3 charges have any relationship to the Ford "Fastor Chargers"?
When they introduced the concept and patent, Ford related the network of 14000+
units at every participating Ford Dealership that sells and services EVs.
The network will be widespread through out North America, including Canada and Mexico.
Any mention of that network lately? The last time I visited my dealership they preparing for
the installation of additional chargers to prepare for the Mach E.
June 22nd is just two weeks away. waiting for that call, email or notification.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- Ford "Fastor Chargers= level 2, at dealership locations
-EA is the nationwide network they are referring to, with the FordPass charging network . Other networks will be shown (included?) with the FordPass deal? However, I can remember reading Ford mentioning installing chargers at designation areas such as national parks and this may be related to their relationship with Rivian (500 million investment) which recently announced such
-some dealerships have had level 2 chargers install previously from the relationship with the Energi vehicles and Ford Focus Energi BEV.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach-E, however, is just the first of many. Including an F-150 BEV... BEV's won't be a small percentage of Ford's sales for long.
Depends on how long "long" is. While the share is rising, I think it will still be a relative small% for some years. The F-150 BEV will only be a variant of the F-150, not a replacement. Most F-150s will still be ICE.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are these L2 and L3 charges have any relationship to the Ford "Fastor Chargers"?
When they introduced the concept and patent, Ford related the network of 14000+
units at every participating Ford Dealership that sells and services EVs.
The network will be widespread through out North America, including Canada and Mexico.
Any mention of that network lately? The last time I visited my dealership they preparing for
the installation of additional chargers to prepare for the Mach E.
June 22nd is just two weeks away. waiting for that call, email or notification.
No, there has been virtually nothing from ford since november, although the recent announcement that the ER will charge faster than thought should have been useful. But, of course they put as little effort as possible into that announcement, resulting in more confusion and consternation in marcom's inability to communicate clearly. Well, except when it comes to the bio of the marcom director: that was in depth and clear - proving that when they're motivated they can actually do their jobs.

Almost every scrap of information we've belabored ad nauseum here for 6+ months has come from rumors, "press" interviews, and unofficial leaks. That still holds true 2 weeks from when we think order conversion is supposed to start, which of course is one of those unofficial tidbits.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can tell Tim's getting pumped for his order conversion.
I am assume you are referring to me (and that was pure sarcasm), so I'll go ahead and rant some more. The nonsense that Ford pulled in the Netherlands last month was disconcerting - clearly either michigan and ford.nl don't talk to each other clearly or customers were intentionally pressured into converting reservations to orders that ford knew would otherwise be cancelled because of the tax situation. Neither of those scenarios bodes well, considering even in the US team Edison and marcom aren't communicating very clearly either. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but as one who fully intends to lease I just found out this week that the leasing rates/residuals/etc will not be finalized until long after I have to convert my reservation to an order. Ford has said that the orders will be fully cancellable, but those statements mean absolutely nothing since they went back on their word in the Netherlands. The order I sign could have completely different language from the FAQ that marketing put on the riddled-with-inconsistencies website. Even Darren Palmer himself has said that it will be up to the dealers to decide if deposits will be refundable. I can't help thinking of the old phrase "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me".

Of course everyone will say "yes, but give them a break because the virus messed everything up", but that is actually what is most concerning to me. Even in the best of times creating a whole new product is difficult and fraught with issues. Creating what amounts to a 5000 pound self-propelled computer with brand new software makes that difficulty orders of magnitude higher. A well-coordinated carefully executed plan would still result in a machine with issues, possibly significant ones. Clearly they are improvising and making contingencies every day to salvage their original goal, and honestly I am losing faith that they'll pull it off without the product suffering.

I really am thinking twice about placing an order for something I know very little about, and what little I do know is mostly conjecture, self-inconsistent, and unofficial. I won't even know how much my payments will be until 6 months from now. That's ridiculous.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I perceived a good level of excitement in your post and chose to take the positive spin on it.

I'm excited also. And very anxious. (In general. Ask anyone! But especially for this large purchase.)

I agree with the concerns you've detailed, but with one exception. I will read the terms and conditions at time of "order" and will save PDF of everything for future reference. If the order is in some way binding to an extent greater than I find acceptable, I will back out.

I'm willing to put forth a small, non-refundable earnest deposit in order to have manufactured a vehicle "customized for me." But I also need to sit in the car and hopefully test drive a similar trim level before giving them more than that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The nonsense that Ford pulled in the Netherlands last month was disconcerting
Agreed, that was a mess. And taking orders with non-refundable deposits that far in advance was awful.

My guess at what happened there is they really did think they could get a batch of deliveries there before the end of 2020. So they proceeded with taking order commitments. But something changed in those 2 weeks that made them realize they just couldn't get it done soon enough to get them shipped that far before January. Or that it was cutting it so close that chances were too great of tipping into Jan and then having an even bigger mess with people finding out last minute they were gonna miss the huge tax break. So they decided rather than to cut it so close (especially since there could easily be more COVID delays), it was better to take the hit now and just push NL (and all of Europe) into 2021 for clarity, and avoid that risk altogether (giving people time to change plans). If any make it out of the plant in 2020, they'll just send em to the US for quick delivery.

If that's the case (and it's only my guess), it's somewhat understandable. Except for one big error -- they should have immediately made any orders free to cancel with full refund of deposit (for any buyers that chose to cancel). Failing to do that is the part I found inexcusable.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is from a Michigan dealership that is one of the largest in the country-two 40amp 240 volt Clipper Creek chargers-been here several times as I got a car from here.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealership installation of L3 (fast DC) and L2 chargers- tom holzer ford level 2 chargers

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is from a Michigan dealership that is one of the largest in the country-two 40amp 240 volt Clipper Creek chargers-been here several times as I got a car from here.
That's all I would expect at most dealerships - L2 chargers. For sales and internal use first and foremost, but some may place them where customers can get to them too.

But if the dealership ever has any problem with their people not being able to get to them when they need them, I'd expect they'd implement some sort of control on them. I could easily see how a small handful of drivers could start monopolizing it (like say, an employee that works 2 doors down and starts parking there and using it as his regular charger).
Sponsored