Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Yeah, exterior styling has never been a big issue for me. I seem to be among what seems to be a smaller pool of people that doesn't mind the Model Y styling. I think if it didn't have the flat nose it would improve significantly on its own, even if they did like the MME GT and just blacked it out or gave it some graphical styling.

I agree on the Model S, if Tesla told me I could have a Model S for $60k or the MME Premium AWD/ER we ordered for $55k, I would take the Model S all day long.

But the current going rate of $60k to start for the Model Y versus the $55k after incentives of our on order MME, just doesn't make sense to go Model Y. Especially with Tesla delivering them without USB ports... Pretty sure I can get USB ports in a $30k Hyundai.
Of course the tax credit plays a part as well. My $48.5k MME becomes $41k in a few months. ? :cool:
Sponsored

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Of course the tax credit plays a part as well. My $48.5k MME becomes $41k in a few months. ? :cool:
That's a great point, I do hope Tesla gets it back though, although their recent price adjustments seem like they are trying to take their piece of the tax rebate instead of the customer taking advantage. Likely just more of Tesla's customer last, money first approach to everything.

That said, even if customers only get a couple thousand if Tesla gets it back, that is still good for them. I think when it comes to incentives like that it should be an even playing field. Tesla shouldn't be penalized for being the first to market attractive EVs while Ford and others put out compliance vehicles (even if some of those vehicles are great, like the Focus Electric).

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
That's a great point, I do hope Tesla gets it back though, although their recent price adjustments seem like they are trying to take their piece of the tax rebate instead of the customer taking advantage. Likely just more of Tesla's customer last, money first approach to everything.

That said, even if customers only get a couple thousand if Tesla gets it back, that is still good for them. I think when it comes to incentives like that it should be an even playing field. Tesla shouldn't be penalized for being the first to market attractive EVs while Ford and others put out compliance vehicles (even if some of those vehicles are great, like the Focus Electric).
The 200k unit limit was definitely short-sighted.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Apple features weren't released right away when they said they would be this year... Bluecruise where are you? You like the truck and that's great. I was expecting more. Just not for me is all. Enjoy your truck tho! Def looks sick!
Bluecruise slipping its release date isn't nearly as bad as Ford's communication on it. If there is one thing that Ford needs to improve to Tesla levels, it's their communication. Tesla release notes on updates and that for example are great. Ford starting to give some better detail in recent PowerUps, but they have a ways to go.

Anyway, customers shouldn't have found out about BC OTA slipping the expected release date from Ford telling investors. That's a bad look. Especially since BlueCruise is live on newly built F-150s. My F-150 has the prep package for BlueCruise, just waiting for them to get the OTA going.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Bluecruise slipping its release date isn't nearly as bad as Ford's communication on it. If there is one thing that Ford needs to improve to Tesla levels, it's their communication. Tesla release notes on updates and that for example are great. Ford starting to give some better detail in recent PowerUps, but they have a ways to go.

Anyway, customers shouldn't have found out about BC OTA slipping the expected release date from Ford telling investors. That's a bad look. Especially since BlueCruise is live on newly built F-150s. My F-150 has the prep package for BlueCruise, just waiting for them to get the OTA going.
There wasn't much to say about the early OTAs. They were mostly about network communication in the vehicle.

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Wish everyone well with the Mach E. Was able to test drive a Model Y today and it was really nice. Between proven OTA updates, 250kw charging, Supercharger network, and 300+ range, decided to go for it. I would love to also test drive a Mach E, but seems like that is not happening anytime soon. I'm sure the Mach E will be great, but for 50k I am nervous about all the "firsts" by ford. First OTA, first car on this new platform, first with this online sales model. I also think folks underestimate the dealers ability to service a new EV. My Volt was always problematic at the dealer, they would say, oh the EV guy is not here today, etc. They will only see a handful of these for quite some time and yours will be the one they learn on. Hopefully over a few years that will change. Good luck everyone!
I ordered both. Will see which one is better. And which one gets here first.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was it, though? Tesla is not having trouble making sales.
Exactly. Personally I think the 200k cap was very smart. The whole point was (or at least should be) to just give automakers a boost in manufacturing EVs, not a permanent subsidy. It was expected that once they got going, they would be able to sell themselves (if they were good enough products).

As you say, Teslas are selling out with long wait lists even without the subsidy anymore. Proving that they don't need it, and it would just be wasting taxpayer money.

When Ford runs out of it's 200k quota next year, are they gonna stop making EVs? No, of course not. The 200k helped give them an initial boost, as designed. Responsible stewardship of taxpayer money would keep that 200k cap in place, IMO.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
With electronics software rules everything. Apple and Tesla show that. The gap is not going to get closer and probably going to get larger. This forum is what actually made me switch to a Tesla. The software seems not ready to for production with ppl having to take trips to the dealer to get the computer reset.
It’s amazing how things have flipped. In 2012 the Tesla’s infotainment was almost as bad as ford’s. Each update made the system 25% better and after a few years the gap between Tesla and everyone else just kept getting bigger

my MME has had OTA updates but there is no discernible improvement. The system is laggy and buggy compared to my model y My PAAK only works maybe 25% of the time. I told the ford dealer I’ve given up on PAAK and not to even bother trying to fix it because it’s totally hopeless.

the ford service guy said something like “ give us a break, we are new at this”. It’s amazing how things have flipped. If I didn’t know better, I’d think ford is the startup and Tesla is the one with 100 years of experience

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
It’s amazing how things have flipped. In 2012 the Tesla’s infotainment was almost as bad as ford’s. Each update made the system 25% better and after a few years the gap between Tesla and everyone else just kept getting bigger

my MME has had OTA updates but there is no discernible improvement. The system is laggy and buggy compared to my model y My PAAK only works maybe 25% of the time. I told the ford dealer I’ve given up on PAAK and not to even bother trying to fix it because it’s totally hopeless.

the ford service guy said something like “ give us a break, we are new at this”. It’s amazing how things have flipped. If I didn’t know better, I’d think ford is the startup and Tesla is the one with 100 years of experience
The electronics are why I bought the Mach-e over the Tesla. Carplay integration with iPhone is crucial for me and it works fine. I don't care when the OTA happens, my car is working fine as is. PAAK seems to work whenever I need it, however I carry the fob daily.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Well, as you said Tesla has been fixing their infotainment system for a decade, and in the beginning it was bad. Sync4a was written from scratch for the Mach-E and has been in the field for 10 months. So yeah, no kidding Tesla's is less buggy and more refined - if it wasn't it would be astounding.

I think you knew that already.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I also beg to differ. I support it in the same way I approve of anti-monopoly legislation. It keeps an early adopter (thinking Tesla here) from running away from the pack and shutting out new entries. Tesla's experience should count for something....they should now be able to compete against IC competitors (and the MME!) without government welfare. And when Ford hits the limit, I'll be OK with that too...as long as I get in on the 7k$ first. :)
In a couple years, the late adopters (Subaru? Mopar?) of EV tech may still get that price benefit working for them, but the market will have plenty of established Makes for which folks may want to pay the market price in order to get a then-proven product.
And by then I predict low-range "commuter" EV's will be gaining wide-spread acceptance, which will be cheaper, lighter, and a blast to drive.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Really was anything but. 200k was enough for Tesla to get off the ground and get the word of mouth it needed to ramp the way it has, without robbing all of the money for the program and disincentivizing other manufacturers (like Ford, for example). If the cap was over 200K, Tesla would have exhausted it all on their own, and that wouldn’t have been a good thing.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Really was anything but. 200k was enough for Tesla to get off the ground and get the word of mouth it needed to ramp the way it has, without robbing all of the money for the program and disincentivizing other manufacturers (like Ford, for example). If the cap was over 200K, Tesla would have exhausted it all on their own, and that wouldn’t have been a good thing.
I guess it depends on what you believe the goal of the program is. Was it to get automakers to produce BEVs or to encourage consumers to buy them? One could argue that in hindsight it really did neither. Up until the last couple of years the legacy brands have ignored BEV for the most part and Tesla is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess it depends on what you believe the goal of the program is. Was it to get automakers to produce BEVs or to encourage consumers to buy them? One could argue that in hindsight it really did neither. Up until the last couple of years the legacy brands have ignored BEV for the most part and Tesla is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales.
I'd say it's done both. But it depends on your expectations, I suppose. Legacy was mostly waiting for the batteries to get good enough and cheap enough to be viable for mainstream buyers (beyond the compliance stage). Ford decided that was 2018. That's when they decided to switch this model from another compliance vehicle to a halo Mustang EV. The credits helped them with that push by allowing them to price it profitably.

For the buyer, they get the perception that they're getting a huge $7500 tax credit savings, which gives them a push. Few actually realize most of that just goes to the manufacturer indirectly via higher price than it would be if the credit didn't exist.
Sponsored