Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We just need an app like the Covid-19 notification apps that give you an alert for "possible exposure to someone infected with a Mach E nearby"
Sponsored

x19

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2023 Premium AWD ER pending dealer order
Occupation
IT Engineer
Country flag
The Tesla's don't seem to interest people as much here. In fact, I had one woman come right out and say she won't give give money to Elon Musk [shrug]. I personally don't connect the cars to the man that much but there you go.
Honestly Muskā€™s antics, and the lack of CarPlay, are the primary reasons I started looking at EVs other than Tesla when I was ready to make the switch.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
A buddy of mine flatly refuses to buy anything other than a ā€œsedanā€ and frankly doesnā€™t give a rats ā€¦ about things like navigation, CarPlay, games, pet mode, theater mode (be doesnā€™t subscribe to streaming services), or anything else, so heā€™s narrowed down his electric car choices to Tesla Model 3. All without having actually driven any electric cars but mine (which he considers to be a stupid SUV Soccer Mom car). Iā€™m trying to at least get him to consider the BMW. He wonā€™t even consider a polestar because it has a hatch, not a trunk šŸ™„

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I won't say Tesla is losing ground. they are still selling way more than they can make. they are just gaining less than competitors who have a very low number to start with thus easier to grow percentage-wise.
This is the crucial point: there are many competitors just stepping up their game in earnest and already Tesla's share is taking a sizeable hit. The fact that Tesla's BEV share has halved with players like Ford, Hyundai/Kia, VW, et al still not anywhere near what their manufacturing capability is actually able to produce should be a wakeup call to those who still believe Tesla's valuation and "insurmountable dominance".

Tesla is now up to 4 factories. The 3 competitors I mentioned have an order of magnitude more manufacturing capacity than that. Just by sheer numbers if the legacy carmakers do in fact go "all in" Tesla's overall share will shrink significantly. They might sell several million BEVs a year, but so will each of those OEMs.

And once the plethora of Chinese makers hit their stride, even Ford and VW will have trouble carving a piece of the pie.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Yes, but the limited quantity sold has nothing to do with demand. Clearly Ford is selling as many Mach-E's and Lightnings as they are able to make; they are simply battery-constrained. The far more interesting thing to note is the BEV sales numbers in Europe and China. 2 to 3 years ago Tesla had 90% of BEV sales everywhere; by the sales numbers insideevs just published Tesla's share of the European EV market is down to around 45%. The same is true for China. While Tesla still has a huge lead in the US, worldwide Tesla is losing ground as everyone else catches up.

Regardless, if Ford really wants to be a player in the automotive market in the 2030's and beyond they damn well better get a lot more batteries.
Tesla is either not growing or outright losing market share everywhere where it matters: China, Europe, North America. And the competition has only started. In a few years Tesla is going to become a niche player.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
For those who prefer limited production vehicles for the exclusivity..............
I''m not exactly sure why you think Mach E's are supposed to be limited production vehicles, heck there are many police departments who have bought them. :rolleyes: Jim Farley has even said they want to be the leader in EV sales, get used to it, this Covid era limited supply and chip shortage thing isn't going to last forever! šŸ˜‚

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, but the limited quantity sold has nothing to do with demand. Clearly Ford is selling as many Mach-E's and Lightnings as they are able to make; they are simply battery-constrained. The far more interesting thing to note is the BEV sales numbers in Europe and China. 2 to 3 years ago Tesla had 90% of BEV sales everywhere; by the sales numbers insideevs just published Tesla's share of the European EV market is down to around 45%. The same is true for China. While Tesla still has a huge lead in the US, worldwide Tesla is losing ground as everyone else catches up.

Regardless, if Ford really wants to be a player in the automotive market in the 2030's and beyond they damn well better get a lot more batteries.
When I saw the number sold , I was disappointed that it was so small. With all the hype you would think they would have sold 5 times as many. They claim they will make 300k next year, or to be on a scale to make that much according to Fords own hype. I just donā€™t see it. I understand why but the huge numbers Ford talks about is really just PR.

hope I am wrong. I donā€™t mind seeing more, maybe the more they make means they have their act together, production wise, software wise etc.

theriddler

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those who prefer limited production vehicles for the exclusivity and avoiding of seeing similar cars on the road. Mach E, for all of it's supply chain issues, is currently the 4th best selling EV and poised to take over 3rd very soon.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 1.14.53 PM.png
Think how many X's you see compared to 3's and Y's....that is the kind of ratio you are looking at in terms of seeing MME's on the road for the near future.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
This is the crucial point: there are many competitors just stepping up their game in earnest and already Tesla's share is taking a sizeable hit. The fact that Tesla's BEV share has halved with players like Ford, Hyundai/Kia, VW, et al still not anywhere near what their manufacturing capability is actually able to produce should be a wakeup call to those who still believe Tesla's valuation and "insurmountable dominance".

Tesla is now up to 4 factories. The 3 competitors I mentioned have an order of magnitude more manufacturing capacity than that. Just by sheer numbers if the legacy carmakers do in fact go "all in" Tesla's overall share will shrink significantly. They might sell several million BEVs a year, but so will each of those OEMs.

And once the plethora of Chinese makers hit their stride, even Ford and VW will have trouble carving a piece of the pie.
considering how successful Giga Shanghai is, Tesla is going to double their manufacturing capacity in about 2 year as Austin and Berlin ramps up. more factories will follow in strategic locations. however, supply constrain will continue to play a role here. again, almost all BEV makers can sell as many cars as they can make.

among the Chinese competitors, only BYD is serious concern, as it almost has more vertical integration, making their own batteries (even supplies to Tesla now) and chips. but I don't see they expand their manufacturing to a global existence, china's covid policy and political uncertainly will be an concern is next several years.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Tesla is either not growing or outright losing market share everywhere where it matters: China, Europe, North America. And the competition has only started. In a few years Tesla is going to become a niche player.
Numbers are funny things... when you have 80% share, the only place to go is down. At the same time, the Tesla Model Y is the highest revenue car model in the world...(not just EV, all cars)... It will be the highest volume car in the world in 23. More than the F150, more than the Toyota corolla. etc.

Gigafactory Shanghai ALONE went from a rate of 450,000 vehicles per year to over 750,000 vehicles this year.

I love my MME, and want Ford to just kill it in EV's... but the facts are that Tesla is not declining in any meaningful measure at the minute and is not going to be a niche player any time soon.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Think how many X's you see compared to 3's and Y's....that is the kind of ratio you are looking at in terms of seeing MME's on the road for the near future.
I have tried and tried and I cannot tell the models apart, and Teslas are EVERYWHERE in California. I wish I could figure out how many X's I see!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Numbers are funny things... when you have 80% share, the only place to go is down. At the same time, the Tesla Model Y is the highest revenue car model in the world...(not just EV, all cars)... It will be the highest volume car in the world in 23. More than the F150, more than the Toyota corolla. etc.

Gigafactory Shanghai ALONE went from a rate of 450,000 vehicles per year to over 750,000 vehicles this year.

I love my MME, and want Ford to just kill it in EV's... but the facts are that Tesla is not declining in any meaningful measure at the minute and is not going to be a niche player any time soon.
Tesla has already become the "Kleenex" of tissues, or the "Xerox" of photocopiers.

"Hey which kind of Tesla did you get?"

"I got the Ford one"

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I have tried and tried and I cannot tell the models apart, and Teslas are EVERYWHERE in California. I wish I could figure out how many X's I see!
You have to look at the taillights and the door handles in order to distinguish the X from the Y. And yeah, I see a ton of them in the Bay Area all the time. They're literally the Camry and Accords of EVs in terms of popularity.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
When I saw the number sold , I was disappointed that it was so small. With all the hype you would think they would have sold 5 times as many. They claim they will make 300k next year, or to be on a scale to make that much according to Fords own hype. I just donā€™t see it. I understand why but the huge numbers Ford talks about is really just PR.

hope I am wrong. I donā€™t mind seeing more, maybe the more they make means they have their act together, production wise, software wise etc.
It takes a while to ramp up production of any vehicle, let alone one that relies on a very constrained supply chain. The battery pack is probably the largest gating factor here.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It takes a while to ramp up production of any vehicle, let alone one that relies on a very constrained supply chain. The battery pack is probably the largest gating factor here.
All well and good but Ford is saying what their production will be for MME and E 150. They know production problems and still say they will build hundred of thousands next year. By the looks of it, that wonā€™t happen for a long time.
just PR by them.
Sponsored