Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
5 seconds is a pretty short lap. I take your meaning, though, and have never driven any car at any track. If that was a factor for me, I would not be in the market for a Mach E, GT or not. GT trim has kind of been watered down from the original intent to imply generally high performance. If we take "GT" literally, as in grand tourer, I think track usage should be only a minor factor in any review.
Did you look at the stats?

Under 4 seconds 0-60
.99 G lateral
106 ft 60-0

Which part is watered down exactly?

Actually, we can try to make a list of Mustang GTs (past and present) that hit all 3 of those stats.

I’m fairly certain it’s zero that are that quick to 60 and the handling and braking would also beat most of the past GTs.

For giggles, 2005 Mustang GT-
0-60 5.1
.84 g lateral
60-0 120 ft

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2005-ford-mustang-gt/amp/

2011 GT 5.0

0-60- 4.3
.94 G lateral
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2011-ford-mustang-gt-premium-test/amp/
Sponsored

Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
5 seconds is a pretty short lap. I take your meaning, though, and have never driven any car at any track. If that was a factor for me, I would not be in the market for a Mach E, GT or not. GT trim has kind of been watered down from the original intent to imply generally high performance. If we take "GT" literally, as in grand tourer, I think track usage should be only a minor factor in any review.
The original sense of a GT was for a sports car designed for high speed and long distance driving so it based on the time to charge and the top speed of the GT / GTPE it doesn't even cover that by todays standards.

I will stand by my initial thoughts on the GTPE really being what the premium was supposed to be, if the GTPE upgrades was simply a 'sport' option for the premium then I don't think there would be any performance complaints, the issue has always been that marketing have been writing checks that engineering appears to not have been able to cash.

Will we see a vastly improved true performance version of the mach-e down the line, probably as Ford have the talent, the problem is for a lot of people that bought into the marketing of this one they will just not even give it a second look having felt burned by this.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I understand that and honestly I don't believe it has much to do with battery temperature in most cases. I think it is a lot more of a complicated algorithm (or simple) than that. The battery temperature unless very cold is regulated pretty well and optimally. Maybe after some heavy track use.

I understand the difference in feel between 40 and 60mph. I'm talking about the actual limit engaging. I just don't think I've ever had a full 5 seconds. Especially in any case you're already moving. You get the closest to it from a stop. 40mph punch it? Not 5 seconds.

My point is calling it a 5 second limit is dumb because in 99% of cases that is not the case. Only case is perfect conditions 0-75 (approx 5 seconds as you noted).
Yeah, the battery temperature theory seems unlikely since it's over a half-ton mass of metal and coolant. The physics to heat up 1000lbs in 5 seconds is difficult with the Mach-E's capabilities.

As discussed in another thread, it's probably some sort of software limit for the sake of the inverter and/or motors.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

Under 4 seconds 0-60
.99 G lateral
106 ft 60-0

Actually, we can try to make a list of Mustang GTs (past and present) that hit all 3 of those stats.

I’m fairly certain it’s zero that are that quick to 60 and the handling and braking would also beat most of the past GTs.

0-60 5.1
.84 g lateral
60-0 120 ft

2011 GT 5.0

0-60- 4.3
.94 G lateral
Not hard to beat a 2005 mustang GT literally the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to drive, I thought by the 2000's manufactures had pretty much stopped making bad cars until I drove that ?

A lot of the lateral g figure comes from the tires, the p-zeros are very soft, I'd be more interested to see what the time and lateral g are from a figure of 8. As if you try and push the GTPE through the twisities it turns into a bit of an understeering mess. The mach-1 has over 1g of lateral grip, heck even a FWD civic type-r has over 1g.

Breaking distance is good for the weight but for an apples to apples you need to do it without regen.

The issue is a few simple benchmark stats don't really tell a complete picture of a performance vehicle. Down the same twisty canyon road my GTPE would have trouble keeping up with my Focus RS which it replaced despite all the extra power and instant torque.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag

Under 4 seconds 0-60
.99 G lateral
106 ft 60-0

To clarify, I meant GT has been watered down relative to the original definition, generally, for the many cars that offer a GT package or trim level. They no longer really refer to the literal grand tourer.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If that's true, something that's been troubling battery chemists for decades is about to be blown open.

yup....

closest one I know about is Quantumscape. (QS) . VW has invested tons of $$ as have private Investors. Early multi-layer proto types test well a couple months ago, and they recently bought a HUGE facility ... planning on production by 2025

but we should move further discussion of this topic to a different thread....

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Under 4 seconds 0-60
.99 G lateral
106 ft 60-0

0-60 5.1
.84 g lateral
60-0 120 ft

2011 GT 5.0

0-60- 4.3
.94 G lateral

i wonder how much of the lateral is due to 255/40 pirelli summer tires? it would be interesting to test w same tires on all cars.....

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
The original sense of a GT was for a sports car designed for high speed and long distance driving so it based on the time to charge and the top speed of the GT / GTPE it doesn't even cover that by todays standards.
Agreed.

I will stand by my initial thoughts on the GTPE really being what the premium was supposed to be, if the GTPE upgrades was simply a 'sport' option for the premium then I don't think there would be any performance complaints, the issue has always been that marketing have been writing checks that engineering appears to not have been able to cash.
I'm not sure I see it that way. Doesn't Ford have an incentive to collect another 5 figures for the GT performance bits? Seems like they're selling everything they can make at each trim level. On the other hand, given the option, I would pay maybe $3k to add the magneride suspension to my incoming premium.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not hard to beat a 2005 mustang GT literally the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to drive, I thought by the 2000's manufactures had pretty much stopped making bad cars until I drove that ?

A lot of the lateral g figure comes from the tires, the p-zeros are very soft, I'd be more interested to see what the time and lateral g are from a figure of 8. As if you try and push the GTPE through the twisities it turns into a bit of an understeering mess. The mach-1 has over 1g of lateral grip, heck even a FWD civic type-r has over 1g.

Breaking distance is good for the weight but for an apples to apples you need to do it without regen.

The issue is a few simple benchmark stats don't really tell a complete picture of a performance vehicle. Down the same twisty canyon road my GTPE would have trouble keeping up with my Focus RS which it replaced despite all the extra power and instant torque.
Do you realize that all the cars you’re comparing it to are some of the best performance vehicles in their class?

And the GTPE, at least on paper, holds its own.

And it doesn’t beat a 2005 Mustang GT, it destroys it.

Based on the stats, it’s hard to deny it’s a true performance vehicle.

Honestly the skidpad and braking numbers far surpassed my expectations. Especially for a 5000 lb station wagon.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i wonder how much of the lateral is due to 255/40 pirelli summer tires? it would be interesting to test w same tires on all cars.....
They’re only 245 tires on the GTPE and as far as summer tires go, they’re ok.

And the 2011 Mustang GT came with? 255 Pirelli summer tires.

It’s about as even a matchup as you can get.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think the world has gotten a little crazy with the BEV performance number expectations. Like @Mach1E said the performance numbers are excellent comparing to many other vehicles. 0.1s here and .01g there are literally just numbers. Yes, it’s easy to “compare” those numbers against direct competitors and say the “mustang sucks because it’s 0.2s slower” but in general terms of the automotive field the GTPE’s numbers fall in the top 25% of performance numbers - even throttled. That is a performance vehicle whether the number is better or worse than a direct competitor. Look at any performance vehicle that is even 3-5 years old, those 0.1-0.2s difference in 0-60 times mean literally nothing. The better car all around is more desirable.

Throttling sucks, and Ford should strive to at the very least make it less obvious in these trims. I feel like that would go a long way for most consumers. I still don’t think it detracts from it being a performance car - it’s just not the best performance as compared to it’s direct competition.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I was simply shocked by his last second recommendation. The 90% of video he likes the Comfort, Ride even liked the screen better than the MY. Edmunds is a mass market car review site and he makes his recommendation of MY based on a "Drag Strip" scenario!?!? Heck, I'll take a car screwed better together for my daily driver any day over a squeaky rocket ship..

I'll take his two other partners that work for Edmunds over this guy. It kind of felt like he made his video than got a call from Elon on the last 15 min. of filming.

OP
OP
Rabidsquirrel22

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I can't get past how poorly the hood of the Tesla fits. The whole video it was like a wart on someone's nose, you just couldn't help but stare!
Look at a shot that shows where driver’s side B-Pillar meets the headliner. It’s even worse.
Sponsored