Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Question (and maybe there is a thread for this already), I know Electrify America got Mach-E's to test long before they were being sold to us. I really thought they would be ready. It seems every road trip Mach-E report/video has issues with the EA DC Fast Chargers charging stations. Is it the software in the Mach-E or is it the EA stations? Seems Ford should have field tested these cars more.

In New York, private companies and EvolveNY (https://nypa.gov/innovation/initiatives/evolve-ny) are starting to bring several DCFC stations online with more planned over the next two years. I am counting on them to work with the Mach-E.

Having said all that. I know I will be able solve any issues I run into. I am worried about people who won't be able to and get so frustrated they give up and go back to ICE vehicles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues mache_ea_station
Sponsored

Last edited:

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Question (and maybe there is a thread for this already), I know Electrify America got Mach-E's to test long before they were being sold to us. I really thought they would be ready. It seems every road trip Mach-E report/video has issues with the EA DC Fast Chargers charging stations. Is it the software in the Mach-E or is it the EA stations? Seems Ford should have field tested these cars more.

In New York, private companies and EvolveNY (https://nypa.gov/innovation/initiatives/evolve-ny) are starting to bring several DCFC stations online with more planed over the next two years. I am counting on them to work with the Mach-E.

Having said all that. I know I will be able solve any issues I run into. I am worried about people who won't be able to and get so frustrated they give up and go back to ICE vehicles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Electrify America Mach-E Charging Issues mache_ea_station
Mine worked the first time I tried at the second machine. The next time I had to call EA and get help. We tried three machines and all of them would only give paid options. I was finally give a free charging session which did work.

One of the Ford EV engineers is supposed to call me Monday about the charging issues. I'll update then.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring feels this is an issue with the Mach-E's software and not so much an EA problem. The more I see these charging videos, I tend to agree as the car is throwing the errors and not the stations.

I sure hope Ford can get these issues fixed. Sounds like the first public OTA update won't happen for a few months. I thought we'd get more incremental (aka smaller) updates over time and not big ones every few months.

I know Ford has used Tesla as a model but they do not have to follow it to the letter. They sure didn't for the initial production software release when it comes to charging. They should have known first adopters need to see the charging information Kyle is looking for a la Tesla.

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I sure hope Ford can get these issues fixed. Sounds like the first public OTA update won't happen for a few months. I thought we'd get more incremental (aka smaller) updates over time and not big ones every few months.
I'd hoped, but wasn't optimistic on timely updates. It's like they are too timid to do what needs to be done in the new way.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I'd hoped, but wasn't optimistic on timely updates. It's like they are too timid to do what needs to be done in the new way.
I agree. Ford should have developed an in-house program with a 100 or so cars for testing OTA updates from a simple fix to a large upgrade. Maybe do one for just charging issues and if it flies, move it out to the public. Seems they are doing it now with this Beta Tester program which will delay public updates for months.

bburk00

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'68 Mustang, 2021 MME FE, 2022 MME GTPE
Occupation
IT
Country flag
We used an EA charger on Saturday and had no trouble once we finally got to use the 1 working one out of four. We plugged in and it recognized the car automatically and deducted from my available free 250kwh.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Seems they are doing it now with this Beta Tester program which will delay public updates for months.
No, the beta testing program won’t delay the OTAs by any significant amount unless they expose a serious issue.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Growing pains. Just gonna take patience. The gradual shift to BEVs will take decades, not months. We just recently passed through the infancy period (the 2010's). Now we're entering the adolescent stage - good enough to be useful but a long way from fully productive.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wouldn't call it "timid". Little about the development of the Mach-E can be called timid.

"Prudent" is a better word for the approach to launching OTAs to the masses, IMO. These aren't cell phones, these are cars that will kill people if something goes terribly wrong.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Growing pains. Just gonna take patience. The gradual shift to BEVs will take decades, not months. We just recently passed through the infancy period (the 2010's). Now we're entering the adolescent stage - good enough to be useful but a long way from fully productive.
And there are still only five-figures numbers of this specific car and platform out there for Ford. They will get there, they will just have to get through these growing pains. Once they work out these bugs, all of the EVs Ford builds from here on out will gain from that experience. For example, don't expect to have to deal with this kind of stuff with the BEV F-150

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I agree. Ford should have developed an in-house program with a 100 or so cars for testing OTA updates from a simple fix to a large upgrade. Maybe do one for just charging issues and if it flies, move it out to the public. Seems they are doing it now with this Beta Tester program which will delay public updates for months.
Do we know they don’t have something like that? I imagine they have lots of stuff going on that we don’t know about.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Mine didn't work on the first try ... I tried another station and that also failed. But when I called EA they (1) comp'd my charge session , and (2) gave me some info that made think I might know why it failed.

The EA rep told me that to get P&C to work, the doors need to be closed but the car must be UNLOCKED.

I switched the car off, got out and closed the doors, walked to the front to access the charger and heard the car lock (because it chirps the horn) ... so that might explain why it wasn't working.

I'll probably leave the phone in the car the next time I try it so that the car wont lock.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do we know they don’t have something like that? I imagine they have lots of stuff going on that we don’t know about.
I read somewhere that they're doing exactly that -- have a pilot program with a small number of MMEs (mostly employee cars) that will get the OTA first to make sure it loads and functions OK, prior to the mass broadcast.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
The EA rep told me that to get P&C to work, the doors need to be closed but the car must be UNLOCKED.
Hmmmm....I would want to lock my car if I left it charging to go eat or shop or hike. Or, is it just until it starts charging, then you can lock it?
Sponsored