Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Report (of a report):
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/1...eally-does-save-money-consumer-reports-finds/

The Mach-E is even mentioned (at least in a table).
As expected, CR's data confirms earlier work—lifetime maintenance costs for BEVs and PHEVs really are about half the cost for an ICE vehicle. For the first 50,000 miles (80,500km), the maintenance and repair costs for a BEV are just $0.012 per mile; for a PHEV it's $0.021, and $0.028 for ICE. For the next 50,000 miles, the gap between BEV and PHEV closes, at $0.028 and $0.031 respectively—you can expect to pay twice as much, or $0.06 per mile, for ICE.​

there's no way PHEVs are in here because they are terrible for everyone at all times and are the worst of all...

you know what never mind I can't even stand to type that nonsense.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's very interesting that they didn't have the Fusion Energi on their table for PHEV. I wonder if that's just a "too little data to say" category. That would also explain not having the Outlander PHEV, etc.

actually, the Volt's not there in any category either.

curious.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Someone explain why the Tesla M3 and MY are in the "Luxury" category in that chart. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I don't consider those cars luxury by any stretch like an Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti. Not saying this to put Tesla down, but "luxury"?

I mean, they are missing BUTTONS!!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Someone explain why the Tesla M3 and MY are in the "Luxury" category in that chart. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I don't consider those cars luxury by any stretch like an Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti. Not saying this to put Tesla down, but "luxury"?

It's somewhat a halo effect and somewhat the pricing. But yeah, those two are a bit problematic to have there - the S and the X are much less controversial from that point of view.

OP
OP
JamieGeek

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It's very interesting that they didn't have the Fusion Energi on their table for PHEV. I wonder if that's just a "too little data to say" category. That would also explain not having the Outlander PHEV, etc.

actually, the Volt's not there in any category either.

curious.
The Energi models and Volt aren't on sale anymore which could be why they didn't include them.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's somewhat a halo effect and somewhat the pricing. But yeah, those two are a bit problematic to have there - the S and the X are much less controversial from that point of view.
Exactly my thoughts. The M3 was supposed to be the Tesla for the common TeslaStan.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Energi models and Volt aren't on sale anymore which could be why they didn't include them.
Ah, that's a very reasonable answer.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

If the MY is luxury crossover versus the Mach-e as just regular crossover, then I want no part of a Mach-e. I stopped by Tesla outlet today after test drive of Polestar 2 (now I'd say that one actually qualifies as luxury) and checked out the MY. I may be a snob, but it my overall reaction to the interior was cheap (other than the screen). For me not a pleasant place to be.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If the MY is luxury crossover versus the Mach-e as just regular crossover, then I want no part of a Mach-e. I stopped by Tesla outlet today after test drive of Polestar 2 (now I'd say that one actually qualifies as luxury) and checked out the MY. I may be a snob, but it my overall reaction to the interior was cheap (other than the screen). For me not a pleasant place to be.
In some ways, because of the very Spartan interior, I would call the MY a budget crossover. Someone there thinks software relates to luxury. Perhaps there is a fart mode box that needs to be checked to qualify for luxury.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Some people associate high cost with luxury.

I think the Model S looks like a luxury car. Very sexy IMO.
The other models not so much..... ?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Fusion Energy is still for sale in my area.

Not sure how future sales affect a study looking, in part, at PHEV maintenance cost. You need to look back, not forward.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Fusion Energy is still for sale in my area.

Not sure how future sales affect a study looking, in part, at PHEV maintenance cost. You need to look back, not forward.
While I agree with that sentiment, I took this to be because they are looking to help people make a buying choice today, which you can't do (readily) with models that are no longer being manufactured. Whatever is out there on lots is end-of-model leftovers.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The savings do add up over the life of the vehicle in reduced fueling costs and heavily reduced maintenance costs.
Sponsored