Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Funny story. I'm flying into PDX tomorrow and noticed a severe weather alert on the American Airlines app. Jumped on weather.com to see what the story was and how it might interfere with my plans. Found out it's just cause it's hot. ??. There was no such alert for my flights in/out of PHX a couple weeks ago with the same temps. ??
That’s because a minority of households in the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascades have air conditioning. Unlike the 100% in Phoenix. Go back to Phoenix, turn off your A/C for a few days of over 100 degrees, then you might begin to relate.
Sponsored

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
What happens when you put a Mach-E in the PNW Pressure Cooker during a heatwave?
20210627_124919.jpg

It demands AC!

20210627_125225.jpg

I don't blame it! I can cook food even in the shade outside my house!
I've had prime rib at about this temperature! Was watching some of the Olympic trials (former discus & hammer thrower in college) and felt terrible for the runners. Yikes.

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
I haven't gotten the hot weather plug in warning yet here in Florida.
Of course it's only supposed to get up to 89° or less all week here.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Extreme Heat and EVs Screenshot_20210627-232918_1Weather

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
We can blame the 200+ years of carbon and hydrocarbon burning for heating up the environment. Switching over to electric power will reduce the heating effect but will not stop or even reverse the effect for another century after all the gas cars are removed and all industrial burning is replaced with solar and wind power. It took the Earth many thousands of years to cool and will take that long to return to what we had before we learned to burn wood, coal, and petroleum.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tilapia!?! That's heathen speak in the PNW! It's Salmon or Death in these parts. And, yes, you can make poached salmon in a hot car. .... Oh, maybe I'll have salmon for dinner.....
Yum, frunk-poached salmon!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Funny story. I'm flying into PDX tomorrow and noticed a severe weather alert on the American Airlines app. Jumped on weather.com to see what the story was and how it might interfere with my plans. Found out it's just cause it's hot. ??. There was no such alert for my flights in/out of PHX a couple weeks ago with the same temps. ??
Maybe they have shorter runways there? High temps sometimes play havoc with airports because it makes the air less sense and harder to gain lift.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
and I thought 91 was hot here in the North East! It is for us, especially with no central air. We broke down last night and put the window unit in the bedroom.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Only 44% of homes have AC. That’s up from one-third a decade ago. Normal for us is 72 this time of year. We’re going to hit 110 today. Third day in a row above 100. It got “down” to 75 overnight.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Yeah, except it's been 100F plus what...10 times in recorded history in Seattle? All time high in Seattle: 103. Forecast high for tomorrow: 114. I'm sure Portland is similar. Oh, and the humidity is still over 30% so...yeah...not exactly apples to apples.
HEard BC is baking. You getting the same weather down there? It's unheard of in Canada.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Maybe they have shorter runways there? High temps sometimes play havoc with airports because it makes the air less sense and harder to gain lift.
I know it. One time on a flight from San Diego to Newark, NJ with a stop in Denver, it was 92 on the tarmac in Denver. Plane was full and the pilot came on to say they were off loading fuel to reduce weight so the plane could take off at that temp in the mile high air of Denver.

After that delay, there was an unscheduled stop in KC to fuel up (sat with the AC off for 2 hours in the 103 temp on the tarmac in KC waiting to be fueled).

That delayed us just enough so we were approaching the east coast in late afternoon and of course there were severe thunderstorms everywhere. We circled over the great lakes for a couple of hours waiting for the storms to clear. They never did and finally we made a break for Dulles In DC and landed in a pocket with thunderstorms and lightning all around us.

Trip was topped off with a four hour bus ride to Newark. Total travel time was 22 hours all because it was 92 degrees in Denver.

Mr.Doug

First Name
Mr.Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E -Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Have you tried frunk-baked tilapia yet? I heard it's great, if you've got the right marinade.
When I get that message when pulling into a shopping mall and turn off car, what happens?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
When I get that message when pulling into a shopping mall and turn off car, what happens?
As far as I know, nothing happens. I've never heard any fans or pumps running while my car is Off and not actively charging.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We can blame the 200+ years of carbon and hydrocarbon burning for heating up the environment. Switching over to electric power will reduce the heating effect but will not stop or even reverse the effect for another century after all the gas cars are removed and all industrial burning is replaced with solar and wind power. It took the Earth many thousands of years to cool and will take that long to return to what we had before we learned to burn wood, coal, and petroleum.
What about the previous cooling and warming cycles prior to man's existence?

https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...armed-and-cooled-naturally-throughout-history

Mr.Doug

First Name
Mr.Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E -Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
As far as I know, nothing happens. I've never heard any fans or pumps running while my car is Off and not actively charging.
Thanks for the reply, in the hot weather here in Portland Oregon has my fans running loudly when car is on.. If I get that message when parking without a place to plug in, we it be OK?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, in the hot weather here in Portland Oregon has my fans running loudly when car is on.. If I get that message when parking without a place to plug in, we it be OK?
Yes.

The act of discharging the battery generates a very small amount of heat, and charging the battery (regen or plugging it in) creates quite a bit of heat. The batteries like to be about 60-70 degrees F, so the car will try to keep them that way.

The batteries will degrade faster in hot weather, but I wouldn't be concerned. They are designed to handle Arizona-type weather and last a minimum of 10 years. If they drop below 70% of their original capacity before 10 years, Ford gives you a new battery per warranty.
Sponsored